Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XIII - remake of the 2003 FPS

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Like an arcady version of a 007 FPS.

What does arcadey mean to you? Just curious. I remember Nightfire being a pretty standard FPS with typical objectives, but it's been a very long time. I don't think there's another Bond FPS on PC worth bothering with.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Like an arcady version of a 007 FPS.

What does arcadey mean to you? Just curious. I remember Nightfire being a pretty standard FPS with typical objectives, but it's been a very long time. I don't think there's another Bond FPS on PC worth bothering with.

By 007 fps I mean it plays like one of those very scripted pre-CoD4 fps with some faux stealth (or even proper stealth), several mission objectives within a level and .. well, you know, like those games.

I’m saying XIII is more arcady because in my memory it abuses the shooting gallery set piece a bit too much.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Looks like a total broken mess lol. Typical Microids trash.

Shame, in theory it's something I should be interested in. I'll watch some gameplay to see if I might care after patches I guess.

I just bought XIII - Classic, currently at a hefty discount on Steam, applied the XIII+ patch, and I'm having a hell lot of fun with it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Eh, can't be that bad
EmeQ4_1VcAAf3Mu

q1tC8KN.gif

i3q9v2I.gif

xtG9Mql.gif

oh

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Looks like a total broken mess lol. Typical Microids trash.

Shame, in theory it's something I should be interested in. I'll watch some gameplay to see if I might care after patches I guess.

I just bought XIII - Classic, currently at a hefty discount on Steam, applied the XIII+ patch, and I'm having a hell lot of fun with it.
What's in the XIII+ patch?

It makes the game work normal again on modern systems.

Long version:

Have you ever wanted to install XIII but run into obstacles in installing and tweaking it? This release provides a revamped XIII (including brand new content) ready to go! Less fiddling, more playing.
The setup file allows you either to install XIII from scratch by using the retail version or to upgrade an existing installation.

Compatible XIII versions for new installation:
* European XIII Retail version on 4 CDs
* European XIII Retail version on DVD (e.g. Gold Games 8, Computer Bild Spiele)
* Czech XIII Retail version (thanks to Opaquit)

The upgrade-only option is meant for already existing installations, like unmodified retail versions and the GOG one which can install the base game by itself.

CONTENT
Patch 1.4 by Opaquit

All previous patches (1.1; 1.2; 1.3) from Ubisoft and several other bug fixes and new features. See more on Xiii.opaquit.com

Patch 1.4.2.1 by Arthur
  • Applied GOG XIII version (addressing issues caused by CPU energy saving)
  • New file structure:
    `XIII\Skins` - for any additional skins
    `XIII\Maps\BaseSP` - stock singleplayer maps
    `XIII\Maps\BaseMP` - stock multiplayer maps
    `XIII\Maps` - any custom maps
    `XIII\System\PC` -> `XIII\System`
    `XIII\TexturesPC` -> `XIII\Textures`
  • Deleted `XIII\MapsUser` if empty
  • Deleted `XIII\Support` and moved manual files into `XIII\Help`
  • Updated `MSL.ini` with all default skins (XIIIPersosPlus.u)
  • Fixed localization mistakes
  • Disabled connection to the Ubi.com master server
  • Removed startup logos entirely
  • Optimized network settings
  • Included XIII IP Join
XIII+ by Arthur
  • Included CTF/4 mode resources
  • Added additional GUI options inside match sessions as a shortcut to quickly switch servers, set up mutators, ...
  • Map List view (to prevent hitting the combobox over 9000 times)
  • Mutator support
    (built-in mutators:
    • AutoChat: Enable automatically appearing chat messages ingame
    • Players: Customize player stats like health, equipment, jumping strength, ...
    • Equipment: Set default weapon, primary ammo, secondary ammo, armor, ...
    • World: Set gamespeed, convert underscores in player name to whitespace
    • FragFace: Replace the death skull with a custom image
    • MightyFists: Use your mighty fist as weapon... or rather a special part of it
    • Visuals: Enable HeadShotSFXTrigger (trigger head shot comic windows as known of single player) and possibly other effects in the future
  • Online Game Service (connection to master.insidexiii.com)
  • Addressed the sloppy menu cursor bug including upscaling of the cursor on higher resolutions
  • Overall GUI improvements
  • An ingame command list with useful functions
  • Bot support in listen servers
  • Shortcut keys to toggle fullscreen/window mode (F11) and to check for FPS and NET stats (F4 / F3)
  • Assigned appropriate FOV values as default according to Pcgamingwiki.com
  • Fixed minor issues and warnings...

Silly Germans

They ask $40, 30 EUR for this?!

:what:

Game is getting trashed on both Steam and GOG.
They actually want 39,99 € for it on GoG, Germany. I have no clue what they are thinking. Even 3,99 € seems to be a rip off with what they delivered.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember reading the comicbooks, looong time ago.

978549.jpg

Every bad guy was a cringey caricature of secretly KKK republican huwhite man. IIRC it was rather obnoxious, even for my then-very-leftie sensibilities. Having said that, it was 1000 years ago, maybe I'm misremembering things.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember reading the comicbooks, looong time ago.

978549.jpg

Every bad guy was a cringey caricature of secretly KKK republican huwhite man. IIRC it was rather obnoxious, even for my then-very-leftie sensibilities. Having said that, it was 1000 years ago, maybe I'm misremembering things.

I have read the comics, but I don't think I found that obnoxious, but perhaps it was because it was taking place in another country. And I was less sensitive to political subtext at the time too

Wunderbar

Arcane
This looks like a spectacular trainwreck. I want the inside dirt on how this came to be. Was Herve involved?

one of 4A members (developers of Metro series) have made a comment about remake devs on a russian forum

rough translation

Guys you don't even realize what kind of basket case devs made this remake, back in the day they have drank so much of my blood i could get a honorary blood donor badge. Not surprised about the results at all.

I worked at 4A in Malta, a few years before Metro Exodus we've made a VR game "ARKTIKA 1" with a small but a very capable team. Those XIII remake dudes were supposed to develop a mobile version of ARKTIKA 1, and i was appointed as a curator to overlook art, lighting and effects. Long story short - they couldn't advance past one playable level DESPITE having all assets ready, having a team twice bigger than ours, and not having to deal with strict deadlines. And there were a gorillion meetings where i had to repeatedly explain them the same problems.

Really there isn't much to tell you about it. Once per a couple of weeks I received a new portion of shit to review, and instead of doing better things i had to waste my time explaining them why exactly it's shit. Each month i had to audit their office, and each time five or so managers were trying to prove me that "everything is going greatly and for the last six months we've even made a working inventory", while i was sitting with a stone-cold expression on my face and watching a work-in-progress video full of visual bugs and glitchy animations. It went on for a whole year, and each time they were feeding me the same excuses while the game kept being shitty and unfinished.

Another funny thing is that our director Andrei Prokhorov was crunching 24/7 along with a team, while all their director did was diddly squat. He took an entire floor and decorated it with clippings from some unknown italian newspapers that named him a guru of mobile app development. I talked to him only once, because he barely participated in the actual development. Their studio have the same amount of managers as the actual developers, and each time i tried to contact someone from the production team to point out what kind of hell is happening, a manager appeared and started telling me that everything is good and that i don't understand how it works. The game was never released by the way )

Anyway, this is fucked up. Neither I nor they had any idea wtf they were doing, i was sure they are going to go out of business soon. Looks like this XIII gig have postponed their demise for a bit.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
On one hand it's a shame none of the actually decent ps2 games are getting remakes/remasters.
On the other hand it's better the retards get their hands on something that wasn't good in the first place.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't understand why this remake demands 4GBs of VRAM. Like, seriously? I don't see any texture work that requires this amount of VRAM, they could have easily made it to work at 2GBs or even 1GB, with pretty much the same visual quality it has now.

I see this shit more and more lately, with games, especially from "indie" developers, having a 4GB VRAM requirement. Look faggots, if Doom 2016 could work pretty damn well on a 2GB card, plus Witcher maxed out, plus Deus Ex Mankind Divided, plus Fallout 4, plus the Tomb Raiders, hell, even Ass Creed Odyssey and Far Cry 5/New Dawn, you have no excuse for requiring a 4GB gpu.

Stop being lazy cunts and learn to optimize your shit ffs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom