Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Year of 2 Emperors (Historically Accurate AJE Scenario)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Turn 22

Vespasian and Vitellius dance around each other; With any luck they will clash and I can clean up the mess. Vitellius has cut off Vespasian from part of his army, so Vespasian may well focus on him instead of the real prize. My army continues to recuperate and grow; I used special events to gain additional funds and reinforcements.

INFIGHTING.jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Turn 23

The Battle for Rome has begun; the initial skirmishes outside the city ended in victory for Otho:

victory.jpg

Vitellius couldn't muster up more than 30,000 men? That's proof positive that he doesn't have what it takes to be emperor. Otho brought over 70,000 people to the field. Democracy, people.

It seems those 70,000 people weren't needed, though:

Otho.jpg

Otho the Divine Emperor literally took the field himself, and slew 140 people with his own hand. Note the medal, awarded to Otho by unanimous decree.

Here's the state of affairs at the start of turn 23. It looks like Vitellius fled Vespasian's forces through Perusia and tried to seize Rome. Great job Lepidus, now stand aside and let the real competitors get to work.

status.jpg

Two more turns to go.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Turn 23

status.jpg

Vespasian is yet to make his move.

Vitellius continues to watch his men die outside Rome. Otho racks up another minor victory while he waits for Vespasian to show up:

skirmishing.jpg

Looks like this scenario ends in January, so two more rounds to go.

tallies.jpg

Over half a million dead so far. Vespasian has the most victory points, but I have Rome.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Turn 25

"At this point one may unquestionably call Agesilaus courageous; at least he certainly did not choose the safest course. For while he might have let the men pass by who were trying to break through and then have followed them and overcome those in the rear, he did not do this, but crashed against the Thebans front to front; and setting shields against shields they shoved, fought, killed, and were killed." Xenophon, Hellenica, Book 4.

victory.jpg

Victory1.jpg

Victory2.jpg

Victory3.jpg

Victory4.jpg

Victory5.jpg

Nothing remains of Vitellius. There was nowhere to retreat, he was slain in the field of battle. His dreams lie scattered outside the walls of Rome. Against impossible odds, he pressed forward; Otho will honour him and his followers, despite their treachery. "The whole earth is the sepulchre of famous men". Thucydides, Book 2.

Vespasian the Vulture. The man who waited in the shadows while Romans killed Romans. Now that he is finally here, Otho has a message for him: "I will take and cast you into dusky Tartaros and awful hopeless darkness, and neither your mother nor your father shall free you or bring you up again to the light, but you will wander under the earth and be the leader amongst little folk." Homeric Hymn to Hermes.

Vespasian.jpg

Vespasian1.jpg

Vespasian2.jpg

Vespasian3.jpg

All ends next turn.

"It is noble for the brave man to die, falling among
The soldiers in the front, fighting for his country.
But it is most wretched of all if he leaves behind
His city and rich fields and goes begging,
Wandering with his mother and old father, with
His small children and his wedded wife.

He will be hated by all those whomever he meets,
Yielding to poverty and hateful need;
He brings shame on his family, disgrace to his noble shape;
Complete dishonour and wretchedness follow him.
If then no one respects nor cares for the mane who flees
Or for his descendants after him,

Let us fight with spirit for this land, and let us die
For our children, not sparing even our lives.
But you, young men, stand next to each and fight;
Don't be the first to turn to shameful flight or fear,
But make great and strong the spirit in your breast,
And fight among men as if you cared not for life.

Don't flee and abandon the older men, whose legs are
No longer swift, the revered elders.
For this is indeed shameful: an old man lying fallen
Among the soldiers in front, ahead of the young,
With his white head and his grey beard, breathing

Out his valiant spirit in the dust,
Holding his bloody groin in his hands -
A sight that inspires shame and rage -
His flesh stripped bare. All is seemly for young men,
When they have the splendid bloom of lovely youth:

While alive, he looks handsome to men, lovely to women,
And beautiful as he falls among the soldiers in front.
But let each man go forward and stand firm, planting both feet
On the ground and biting his lip with his teeth."

Tyrtaios, preserved in Lykourgos, Against Leokrates.

patience.jpg

There can only be one.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
The people of Rome rejoice, Otho is no more:
tLBn1BC.jpg

The green color is Otho's so called "empire" - even Spain deserted his cause in the end. No wonder, he led a quarter of million of able bodied Roman citizens to their deaths, and brought misery to many more:
tj8J9gU.jpg

And rightful emperor Vespasianus already started to bring order within the borders:
aA5Za6E.jpg

Some skirmishes with the barbarians:
I0j1ymV.jpg
UxplVRf.jpg

Minor victory while I crushed my enemies, saw them driven before me and heard the lamentation of their womyn?
azgVVXe.jpg

I blame the Jews:
5edrr5R.jpg

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
A Flavian victory? Is that what the pretenders talk about as they row my galleys around the Mediterranean? I would be offended if it wasn't so pitiful.

All hail Otho the Victorious!

Victor.jpg

Here is the truth of the final battle, which saw Rome hold fast against the pretenders:

Victory_Battle.jpg

The scene of the surrender, moments before the pretenders were dragged way to a life of hard labour and servitude.

final.jpg

Italy is finally unified:

Safe_Italy.jpg

A historic resolution to a historic scenario!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Mods/Lictors, please drag the doubters out of my thread~

Othonians, commence celebrations

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
giphy.gif

Let it be known,that while the jackals Marcus Salvius Otho and Titus Flavius Vespasianus were circling Rome, the true romans Aulus Vitellius Germanicus Augustus and his legions kept the hordes of 50 000 Gauls ,150 000 Batavians-lead by traitor Gaius Julius Civilis-and 50 000 Britons at bay,continuing the legacy passed by Gaius Julius Caesar and Claudius Germanicus of bringing culture and prosperity to the barbarians.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom