Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

YEEEEEEEEEES!!!

Pablosdog

Prophet
I don't think anyone will deny the constant cocksocking that this article will generate.

Everyone get their kneepads ready!

Luzur

Good Sir
overall better than oblivion but it will still be simplified for console players.

closed off cites once again.............consoles

very small population of npcs...........consoles

graphics im hoping that they designed around PC first and then stripped it down for consoles so im optimistic on this after seeing what reality pump did with two worlds 2.

Oh and of course, OF COURSE, it'll be dumbed down for consoles, because they can't achieve jack these days :thumbsup:

some have seen the light though.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
SimpleComplexity said:
Just read some posts in the TES forums (for amusement purposes and to find out if anyone got the magazine), they say the magazine is gonna be shipped out today or tomorrow to them plus this:
Skyrim is coming out 11/11/11

Skyrim, converted to numbers where A=1, B=2, etc: 19/11/25/18/9/13
19112518913 has 11 digits.
If you divide that number by 11, you get approximately 17375017193.
17375017193 also has 11 digits.

If you divide 17375017193 by 111111 (the date that Skyrim is released), you get 15637.311112311112 (repeating). Add 1+5+6+3+7, the nonrepeating digits, up to get 22-- that is, two elevens. 15637 is a tower within a tower-- an eleven (5+6) hidden inside an eleven (1+3+7).

If you take the sum of the components of Skyrim (19+11+25+18+9+13), you get 95.95 divided by 11 is 8.63636363 (repeated). 8 time 6 times 3 is 144-- that is, two twelves. In other words, the sum of the components of Skyrim (the two twelves) is sufficient to get us past the Skyrim in itself (the two elevens, one eleven contained in another) toward-- what? What lies past the two twelves?

11*11*12*12 is 17424. Here we have an eleven (7+4), but not inside another eleven-- inside a 7 (1+2+4), perfection. The tower inside the divine, the New Man inside the God, everlasting hypnogogic. Hallucinations become lucid under His eye and therefore, like all parents of their children, the Amaranth cherishes and adores all that is come from Him.
111um1nat1

I remember reading a post on the WoW forums that was crazier when Blizzard was getting ready to announce Diablo 3.

Nael

Arcane
Mangoose said:
well most of that is your opinion, i thought FO3 had major upgrades in alot of that stuff.

so in my opinion you already are proven wrong.

Fallout was made by Obsidian, and you're very strange if you didn't like Oblivion.

I expect Bethesda to blow me away.
I mean they have a new engine and everything.

I see a "Best Thread Ever. (Part 3)" on the horizon, mateys.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Last time with Oblivion the pics were incredible. Literally, incredible -- half the shit in those pics never made it into the game.

Still, I'd wager Skyrim's going to be a graphically beautiful game. It has to be, seeing as how graphics is now TES' main selling point.

:(

Rhalle

Magister
Just accept as fact that Turdblivion is not an RPG, but it's an open-world action fantasy-adventure.

Then you can enjoy hundreds of hours of big, beautiful sandbox and specular-mapped horse anus, as I do.

Zeus

Cipher
Multiple Sarcasm said:
SimpleComplexity said:
GameInformer
Aren't those the guys that gave Oblivion 9.5, but then shat on it and removed the review as soon as Skyrim appeared on the horizon?

Aren't we the guys who shat on Mount & Blade, then spent the last year asking for more, more, more?

It went from, "All they need to do now is add in the actual RPG bits and it would make for an awesome game," to a new thread requesting mods & more games like it every week.

There's also this:

YIDJy.jpg

And no, Gangs of Glasgow doesn't, "add in the actual RPG bits."

El Dee

Scholar
Some people on the internets are crapping their pants in excitement over this. Reminds me of all the hype leading up to Oblivion.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Some of those look pretty good. Skyrim does appear to be a fairly vertical world in some places.

Interesting notes:

A rethought user interface abandons the cumbersome menus of yesteryear.

I wonder if they're going to go mainly iconless on the main screen as I guessed.

Dragonborn
Called 'dovalhkiin' (?) in the language of dragons, these rare individuals are true dragon hunters. As the game begins, your hero may be the last one left.

Yup. Dragons.

Bitcher

Educated
page 47 said:
A redesigned engine reveals a breathtaking world of rugged beauty
So much about dropping Gamebryo, it seems, lol.
I am delighted to see that the hype machine has now officially started. Many lulz are to be expected from our dear Beth and thats really all I care concerning TES at this point.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I can't tell if it's still Gamebryo or not. One of the shots appears to be using Depth of Field -- is Gamebryo even capable of that?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think that's true DoF, is it? They just kind of freeze in the background and are blurred out. I could be wrong.

Edit: Here's a list of Gamebryo's technical features:

• High-end texturing and rendering effects
• Flexible rendering, sorting and culling methods
• Floodgatestream processing engine for cross-platform multi-core development
• Integration with major 3D modeling tools including 3ds Max® and Maya® and Softimage|XSI®
• Powerful art tool chain integration
• Support for industry-leading tools from Emergent Partners, including SpeedTree, Scaleform and NVIDIA PhysX, among others
• Hierarchical scene graph representation
• Efficient visible object culling
• Support for advanced 3D hardware acceleration on all platforms
• Dynamic collision detection
• Alternate Bounding Volumes
• Particle systems
• Customizable shaders for vertex colors, material, alpha transparency, textures and more
• Support for 3D audio
• Level-of-detail representations

Doesn't mention DoF at all, so I guess it doesn't support it?

Hell March

Educated
At this point I'm just hoping they end up making a New Vegas without guns, since the only thing Bethestards seem to hate these days is NV.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Few things:

Backpedaling is slowed down
Mysticism is gone
Perk for every level
60 level cap
Dual wielding
"Every object casts a shadow"
You can sprint at the cost of stamina
"Radiant story" dynamically creates quests (http://i52.tinypic.com/2u9ig6d.jpg)
Faces look somewhat better? (http://i54.tinypic.com/eikpd5.jpg)
"Far more voice actors"
More player activities, such as "mining, woodcutting, or even cooking"
Conversations no longer "zoomed in"
Player can gain "dragon shouts" after absorbing the souls of slain dragons
One dragon shout involves summoning a dragon to help you in battle, and another teleports you to a location

Zeus

Cipher
I'm astonished at the amount of bitching about the game engine. Bit it professional journalist, casual YouTube comment moron or hardcore RPGCodexian, there seems to be this universal blame placed on Oblivion's game engine.

What matters is storyline, setting, characters, quests, combat and skill systems, not the damn game engine. Old technology allows RPG developers to concentrate on the important stuff. None of Oblivion's major complains will be magically addressed by changing the engine: the advancement system that punishes you for leveling up; the handful of voice actors; the dumbing-down of the game, so that weapons have just two categories; the boring grind of identical dungeons and taking out Oblivion gate after Oblivion gate--none of that has anything to do with the game engine.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Zeus said:
I'm astonished

I'd agree if it weren't for the horrendous issues Gamebryo possesses. Can you say you could actually stand another go-around with the plastic characters of Oblivion again, its microstutter, performance issues, ad nauseum, even if all the other things you cited were taken care of?

And please, be realistic. The game engine is basically the most important aspect of this and any future TES title. Story? HA! Good fun!

CrimHead

Scholar
Fucking LOL at that menu. Casual shit confirmed. Bethesda decline: complete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom