Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yes, Dark Messiah is an RPG

Sol Invictus

Erudite
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php ... ad&order=0

Q : What about the RPG elements in the game?

RC : Dark Messiah features some of the classic RPG elements such as collecting items and building up your character. As you progress, you pick skills to coincide with your chosen play style (whatever it is) and be assured that the quest is going to support whatever style of play you choose.

RWG : For instance if you decide to play as an assassin, you will have access to skills that will improve your ability to stalk your enemies while remaining undetected, such as silent walk, backstab, advanced disarm…

The great challenge and originality in Dark Messiah is that innate and acquired are intrinsically tied together in the game. The innate—your own skills, the ones you have in real life—is nothing without the skills you acquire in the game. And gaining a new skill is useless if you do not learn how to master it.

It is really a mix between the traditional skills of a RPG (purely based on statistics), and the ones of an action game (purely based on the player skill).

LlamaGod

Cipher
I think it's going to be a good Ultima Underworld esque game.

Moggs

Liturgist
I really like the look of the fireball effect in the first trailer. Wish they were making a proper Might and Magic game though... still, this is better than another Heroes as far as I'm concerned.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I’m fascinated by immersive first-person games in general and I’m always keen on taking the next crazy creative challenge in this genre.
He tries to say that he is allways ready to revolutionalize poor genre. Get in the line. Besides, calling first person immersive can get you in troubles at least while visiting Codex...

At the beginning of the game you are given an ancient artifact and ordered to carry it to a friend of your master.

It seems like a simple task…
No, it does not. Maybe the first five thousand times it seemed, but then players were (and still are) flooded by stories like this and all of them includes that "bring item to.." part.

We decided to tackle the combat system: create a first person melee experience that just felt right. There have been attempts in the past, but we think nothing as convincing. This was a great opportunity and a great challenge. A tremendous challenge in fact.
That guy seems first person melee challenged person. I am not sure what he means by "just felt right". I might suggesting going out and larping with a sword a bit, though most would reject this offer.Would it mean you shake and slash your joy-stick (aka dildo) and sword does the same?
where player strategy is at the forefront and where you really feel the hits (both given and received).
Oh, boy, it IS dildo with force-feedback!
You are the fighter, because you feel it. You are in your shoes. You are the guy who just managed to do the super cool move, and this is all possible thanks to the first person view.
This guy seems to be really obssesed with first person view.

Yeah, other than those few funny bits, game actually might be decent action game with some interesting features.

Section8

Cipher
I'm interested in seing it, given the pedigree of Arx, which wasn't brilliant, but was good enough to warrant a vamped up sequel. I find it curious that the Might and Magic license has been slapped on it, given the notoriety of the countless Might and Magic spinoffs. I thought branding was supposed to be a positive business strategy.

Surlent

Liturgist
I don't think it's important for a computer game to be recognized as rpg or not, but I understand Codex follows some standards what they cover. Dark Messiah looks like it's going to be on par with Bloodlines when it comes to combat and character creation. BL was covered, so maybe there is hope for Dark Messiah.

Jora

Arcane
So far I haven't seen anything that would make DMoMM drastically different from Arx Fatalis. In fact, DM seems to support thief characters much better than Arx.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
BL was covered because it also had dialogues, choices, multiple solutions, etc not because it had a character system.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hey, the Codex covers Diablo 1. So what's the difference? Dark Messiah is an action RPG in the first person.

Also, Saint told me that he wanted to read more about the game before deciding to cover it since the original information about the game was scarce and a few sites presented it as an FPS, with no stats or character classes.

Hence the reason for this thread.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wonder if in this game, you will be able to the see the fear in the Ork's eyes?

I am kind of dissapointed in the direction they are taking with Might & Magic into a single person Action RPG, instead of a full party. But maybe that is because I am old and grumpy. Perhaps it was inevitable. Or maybe it won't be too bad.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Why do they keep on going on about how awesome first person is? Might and Magic was already first person. The difference here is that it's real-time and without a party.

Gwendo

Augur
Or since they want to continue the M&M franchise, maybe there will be a pure M&M RPG in the future.

It would be nice: HoM&M7, DMoM&M3, M&M11...

Moggs

Liturgist
Another M&M - if only! I really can't see it happening - 9 killed that line.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, like the one poster said - they announced this as a first person shooter. Now they're saying there will be a character system with it. I'd like to know a little more about it before we cover it. It really doesn't help matters much that nearly all the previews and interviews focus more on the first person action aspects and very little on the character system or what it actually does. Hell, Daikatana had a character system, it was just really weak.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
TheGreatGodPan said:
Why do they keep on going on about how awesome first person is? Might and Magic was already first person. The difference here is that it's real-time and without a party.
Might and Magics 6-9 had real-time options.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Naked_Lunch said:
So it's just sans party with Source. A real-time first-person party based RPG sounds tough to pull off.

Sarvis

Erudite
TheGreatGodPan said:
Naked_Lunch said:
So it's just sans party with Source. A real-time first-person party based RPG sounds tough to pull off.

Not really. It could just be Eye of the Beholder style, or more likely Menzoberranzan style. That was real time, party based and first person.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I liked the total shit intro for that game. It was so retarded it was awesome.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Here's a clip from a PCPowerPlay article about DarkMessiah that EEVIAC sent me:

• Regular readers shouldn't find the above admission
    surprising. Given my penchant for action via a
    first-person persepective, alternate worlds centred on
    short people, flying lizards and ugly brutish orcish
    things never really registered on my radar. So what
    the hell am I doing writing a story on a fantasy RPG?
    Simple. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is no ordinary
    fantasy RPG. In fact, its not even an RPG at all.

Before going further, another note of carefull
    distrinction is in order : this is not Might & Magic
    X. Dark Messiah is certainly cut from the same cloth,
    however its intention is not to serve as a direct
    sequel (or should that be tenth-quel?) to the series;
    rather its a stand-alone re-interpretation,
    approaching the fantasy world from a completely new
    angle. Having aquired the M&M rights back in 2003,
    Ubisoft have since focused their intention on creating
    a completely new world, making the player "feel inside
    the universe" of this latest title. How? By making
    Dark Messiah "first and foremost an action game,
    played from a first person perspective." Aha, now you
    can see why it has piqued my interest. First. Person.
    Action.

So, hooray. Then again, PCPowerPlay is a pretty shitacular magazine.

Section8

Cipher
Dark Messiah isn't Arx 2. That game has been put on the backburner.

Don't be naive. I'd be willing to bet that as much content and codebase that can possibly be taken from Arx 2 is going into Dark Messiah, and the "Dark Messiah is not Arx 2" guff is just a way of saying "We want to release an Arx 2 sometime". It would be bad business sense to put such a similar game on the backburner and start a new one from scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom