Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Alpha Protocol thread

Hmm, it seems I had a faulty version of Fran's optional new monsters and optional new items (game crashes if I use only one of those two or both, doesn't crash if all other mods except for these are on).

I'll try downloading them again. I suspect the ones I had were modified versions for use with FCOM. It's still weird that only the cell near the sewers exit is affected though (there are probably more, wherever there's a new item / monster I imagine)

edit: oh lol, the archive is huge

Edit: fuck, gonna have to wait the whole night for this. Failplanet is slow as fuck.

edit: Just a question - is the 500mb file supposed to contain only textures and meshes? Because the 40mb one already installs the respective .esm's.

Edit, the Awakening: On second though, maybe I don't need these. I've seen the pics and it's not something I really need. I assure you this wasn't caused by broken downloads from thirdworldia internet.

LazyD

Liturgist
Oh god why did I have to read this thread and thing that attempting to get FCOM to work would be a good idea...

So far.. I've sunk a few hours into getting this right.. First test i crashed at the sewer exit also...

So I'm doin a fresh install and starting from scratch.. hopefully this time It'll be smooth sailing..

wish me luck.

I'd also like to add that I hated Vanilla oblivion. More than most games a dislike. Thats why i'm so surprised that I'm still trying to make this work.... Did someone slip something in my drink??

LazyD

Liturgist
mmm and to think i wasted ratio @ a priv tracker..

well I just finished installing all that shit for the second time.. gonna give it a try now.

Thanks for the heads up and plan B.

edit:

No seeds on that torrent Bro. Am I looking at the wrong FCOMInstallation.zip?

LazyD

Liturgist
Ya I had that.. Got it working..

I seem to be running out of fatigue really fucking fast. lol.

Monocause

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5151295/FCOM_SuperPack_v2.42_-by_Danwood-

The content is legal so I think there won't be a problem linking that

A quickie - is this a package that offers something close to the best gameplay heavily modded Oblivion can provide? Never played OB with mods and I'd like to give it a shot, is this everything I'd need?

I'd like to try but I don't want to waste hours on reading forums/mod reviews and downloading 100+ individual mods. A package like this would be a Godsend.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
"i'm also planning to UPDATE the mods every month"

And the torrent is close to 5 months old now without any updates. :D

Could've at the very least include all the mods with version numbers as a separate text file - but noo, just slam it all into one big rar that you have to completely download first to see what's inside.

@Monocause: it doesn't have any graphic replacers, so you'll need to get those separately. The description doesn't mention whether or not it has ready-made merged leveled lists and such either, so possibly you might need to get some additional apps and learn how to use them.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I got that FCOM pack and it's mostly those big overhauls with essential mods, patches, and optimizers. It also has a section for mods that are "Realistic" but no other such subfolders.

Alternatively, I've heard good things about POOP, with a full collection of Oblivion mods that have been tested several times. It's a bit old, I think 1 year since the latest version. Still, I wanted all of FCOM and I don't think POOP has it, so I downloaded it as a backup in case my try at configuring mods fails. I dloaded POOP from http://games.on.net/file/23510/Popehat_ ... ds_Project.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I have POOPv3 and it's p. much awesome. Large collection of graphic and performance improving mods, gameplay improving mods and even a few quest mods. Good starting kit for Oblivion modding, I always use it as a base and then just add some quest mods.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Where'd you get V3? The latest I could find was v2(.1).

So I'm 90% done installing my mods. I accidentally nudge the power cable to my computer, hard booting it off and on. Log back in, my Oblivion installation is gone but my mods are still there. ><

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, I was mistaken. Just checked my folder and it's 2.1

Installing the whole package and checking if it works is almost more fun than the actual game, heh.

Monocause said:
Clockwork Knight said:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5151295/FCOM_SuperPack_v2.42_-by_Danwood-

The content is legal so I think there won't be a problem linking that

A quickie - is this a package that offers something close to the best gameplay heavily modded Oblivion can provide? Never played OB with mods and I'd like to give it a shot, is this everything I'd need?

I'd like to try but I don't want to waste hours on reading forums/mod reviews and downloading 100+ individual mods. A package like this would be a Godsend.

Yeah - I didn't know about POOP, but from what I read on the contents list above, FCOM has more things.

Alternatively, you can just use one of the big mods separately - Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul or Francesco's Leveled Creatures/Items. Warcry seems like a big one, but I'm not sure. Martigen's Monster Mod can be made to work with them.

From what I've read thus far:

OOO - Hand placed enemies to make certain areas a bitch to get through until you reach a high enough level. Gets easy once you reach level 20 or so (some find this good - you feel like you earned your loot - , others don't - feeling of achievement may not make up for easy late game). No level scaling. Changes the game system totally.

Fancesco - No level scaling too, but enemies are still random - it'll stay hard until late game. Can customize enemy AI, economy, chance of more and stronger enemies, etc. Tries to keep the original feel.

Warcry - Don't remember, but seemed fun when I read it. Items and combat changes.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
Fancesco - No level scaling too, but enemies are still random - it'll stay hard until late game.
Not entirely true. Fran still has level scaling but it limits the scaling to narrower ranges. The way the ranges are decided is by where the quest falls in a particular line, so the first FG quest will scale between levels 1-5 but the 5th quest will scale between 10-15 (I made up the numbers but you get the idea).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
My original Oblivion installation literally disappeared (esms, bsas). System restore didn't help. Let's see if I can just reinstall and keep my data files intact...

Sceptic said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Fancesco - No level scaling too, but enemies are still random - it'll stay hard until late game.
Not entirely true. Fran still has level scaling but it limits the scaling to narrower ranges. The way the ranges are decided is by where the quest falls in a particular line, so the first FG quest will scale between levels 1-5 but the 5th quest will scale between 10-15 (I made up the numbers but you get the idea).

Oh. Well, that scaling isn't so bad.

Morrowind has pretty strict level-scaling in the wilderness. I'm still having to fight those god damn leather birds at lvl 10, everywhere I go, and they're only getting harder if anything. (The game could have used some variety in its leveled creature lists.)

DraQ

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Morrowind has pretty strict level-scaling in the wilderness. I'm still having to fight those god damn leather birds at lvl 10, everywhere I go, and they're only getting harder if anything.
They are not getting "harder". You merely meet more blighted and diseased ones.

(The game could have used some variety in its leveled creature lists.)
The game has enough variety.
You can meet rats or kwama foragers at level one as well as level twenty. It's not fucking oblivion with it's retarded peak predator rotation scheme, FFS.

And cliffies are best shot from distance with bow or crossbow, ghosted by with illusion spells, blown out of the sky with high magnitude, high area duration-less drain health or glitched into falling to their deaths with levitate 1pt for 1s on 50ft on target.

DraQ said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
(The game could have used some variety in its leveled creature lists.)
The game has enough variety.
You can meet rats or kwama foragers at level one as well as level twenty. It's not fucking oblivion with it's retarded peak predator rotation scheme, FFS.

It doesn't have to be like in Oblivion. Middle ground, etc.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
How can "no predators" or "hundreds of predators" be better than the middle ground?
We were discussing the difference between predator rotation scheme and no predator rotation scheme - lets not get sidetracked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom