Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Alpha Protocol thread

roll-a-die

Magister
Reneers guard overhaul can fix that Clockwork.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
As much as I loved Morrowind, it's stagnant and silient NPCs drove me a bit batty. Oblivion brought those npcs to life for me with AI and schedules and even a bit of freedom to steal a loaf of bread and recieve a death sentence for it (or for not halting for the police when told).

There's a guy in SI that has a compulsion for stealing cutlery. He is usually killed by the golden saints.
Breaking a quest.

It should be logical that if NPCs are to steal stuff, and if the guards are to react, there should be some mechanism for NPC fines and imprisonment as well.

"Living, breathing" NPCs that use their "living, breathing" status, to steal a carrot in a broad daylight, then die trying to kill armoured and armed guard with their fists do not improve the almighty immersion, but rather actively break it with their glaringly unrealistic stupidity.

Luzur

Good Sir
Clockwork Knight said:
Oh, I can reach the guy before he gets killed. It's just amusing to see someone cut down for stealing spoons :)

I just mentioned it because the quoted part made it seem like the guy was praising it.

you know, it was a serious response to me and the others complaint thread over at TESF.

so he was actually praising it, summers did it too.

^Ugh. Well, as DraQ said, it actually helps the atmosphere of the SI as a crazy big brother hellhole (even though the saints and seducres are supposed to be sane)

I just wonder why they didn't make that guy an essential of all people (if he was intended to pickpocket people at all; with all the guards around, I think he's just supposed to have lots of cutlery on him because of his mania, but the devs forgot to give him some and because of it he resorts to stealing). Or all the people who travel the roads, like those two skooma addicts I mentioned some pages ago (they travel once a week to the skooma den in Leyiawiin, then go back to the IC. In my game one of them got murderized by a bear during the 5 minutes I wasn't babysitting him). Instead, people who are safe and sound inside the imperial city are immortal.

What could be a helpful tool to keep wandering NPCs alive ends up as a retard friendly tool so people don't complain they don't have anyone to sell their loot to because they killed all the vendors for lulz.

Anybody else have problems with distant lands not showing up when using the unique landscape mods? I thought TES4LODGen would solve the problem, but apparently it generates everything else (trees, buildings) except the land.

Help. (I've tried everything, including installing the four combatibility land lods for the UL mods, something I already did when I first installed the UL mods.)

Look:

dlerror1.png

dlerror2.png

Below (as in the first picture) there seems to be SOME distant land showing in a different loading area, while other distant land is bizarrely cut off like blobs of butter.

dlerror3.png

Clearly, some areas are OK:

dlnoerror.png

gothemasticator

Scholar
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Anybody else have problems with distant lands not showing up when using the unique landscape mods? I thought TES4LODGen would solve the problem, but apparently it generates everything else (trees, buildings) except the land.
There are compatibility patches for several of the Unique Landscape mods which include Distand LOD landscape files. Look here http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13834.

Will probably fix your problem.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Help. (I've tried everything, including installing the four combatibility land lods for the UL mods, something I already did when I first installed the UL mods.)

Look:

dlerror1.png

dlerror2.png

Yes, a nicely looking land, boulders flying in the sky. Have you tried programming and geomorphing? It's fun.

I actually think hills flying in the sky are poetical.

DraQ

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:

Look:

dlerror1.png
LOL, I had an error looking almost the same in Terra Nova a few times, good memories. :lol:

You can always turn the DL off :roll: . Or use the famed uninstall mod - you will never get bored with oblivious once you enable it.

Someone asked if the game world has been expanded, it has, literally:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=25023

The adventurer can travel to new terrain & new places beyond the usual borders of the province!

gothemasticator said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
There are compatibility patches for several of the Unique Landscape mods which include Distand LOD landscape files. Look here http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13834.

Will probably fix your problem.
The only ones I'm missing from that list are the two for Lost Spires, so I'm not holding my breath. I only had better cities installed anyway (from the list of conflicting mods; and little else that could possibly create a serious conflict at any point in the game world).

Felix said:
Try the uninstall mod, it's always work.

DraQ said:
You can always turn the DL off . Or use the famed uninstall mod - you will never get bored with oblivious once you enable it.

Clockwork Knight said:
*looks at wristwatch*

Jaesun should appear and make his patented "try the uninstall mod" joke any time now

That fag jaesus or something didn't come do his job, so he sent you, eh? Whatever. If you idjits can't be original you can at least be on time, dun' ya think?

*spits on ground*

---

So, I tried Fran's yesterday and it's promising. I already saw two goblins where there should be one, big weapons seem slower, and chests that were locked can be unlocked and vice versa, and the last chest in the tutorial sewers was full of flawed gems and other trinkets. The zombie also rose up once, leving me slightly paranoid and turning back every now and then to make sure he isn't sneaking up on me.

However, the Goblin Witch didn't drop her staff, and that should be a guaranteed drop. Instead, she's just carrying an old mace. I looked on the ground an nothing.

While the staff itself is useless, does anyone know if it's supposed to be like that? Im fairly sure she used it on me during the fight.

The combatibility patches don't fix the problem. Incidentally, neither does turning off Better Cities, nor deactivating the Unique Landscapes package. I even started a new game after deactivating it to be sure. I guess I'll have to delete the LOD shit manually and then try something.

Luzur

Good Sir
The zombie also rose up once, leving me slightly paranoid and turning back every now and then to make sure he isn't sneaking up on me.

then you will love the later undead dungeons.

OK, here is a program that will fix distant land problems for sure:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8665

If your distant LOD land does not show up, it is recommended that you use TES4Gecko to add your World Space to the Master Index, which will make it appear in the game regardless of other moderations and regardless of load order.

To do this: Download TES4Gecko. Install TES4Gecko according to the instructions included with it. Once you start TES4Gecko, go to the "Move Worldspaces" function. Then select the .esp that contains your worldspace.

This will edit your .esp so that the game sees your landscapes as part of the original game rather than as a moderation. It also changes the names of the files in \meshes\landscape\lod and \textures\landscapelod\generated to match the changes made to the .esp.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/in ... D_Tutorial

starfish

Novice
CrimHead said:
Why even play the game if it takes 1000 mods just to make the fucking thing DECENT?

You're basically paying for the engine and adding the features you want to the game cart-blanche.

Not that this is a business model I agree with (too much work, too little payoff), but it's what has become of the game. No amount of mods will ever restore the 80 hours of my life I wasted on repeated aborted playthroughs of Oblivion Vanilla.

gothemasticator

Scholar
Paula Tormeson IV said:
The combatibility patches don't fix the problem. Incidentally, neither does turning off Better Cities, nor deactivating the Unique Landscapes package. I even started a new game after deactivating it to be sure. I guess I'll have to delete the LOD shit manually and then try something.
Have you tried this:
  • Get all the mods you want loaded and active.
    Resolve all non-LOD problems first.
    Now, delete your DistantLOD folder.
    Run TES4LODGen.
It may have just been an installation order problem.

gothemasticator said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Have you tried this:
  • Get all the mods you want loaded and active.
    Resolve all non-LOD problems first.
    Now, delete your DistantLOD folder.
    Run TES4LODGen.
It may have just been an installation order problem.
I should have come here to mention I already got it to work (deleted most of the LOD files, installed RAEWVD, then the rest of the shit).

By the way, TES4LODGen doesn't generate distant-land data. That's a fact. (And it's why I had rocks and trees without land hanging in mid air in those pictures).

I'm now trying to decide whether I even like detailed distant lands. I'm not sure I like distant lands to begin with, since it makes the game world seem smaller, and makes discovering hidden islands and such too easy (you can't even speak of "discovering", since you can see them from miles away).

In the meanwhile, I'm downloading GTP3 Redimized, which I'm sure will reduce my frame-rates even more than RAEWVD and UL. I'll have to think of something to replace RAEWVD with at any rate. (It's too much of a resource hog, but I doubt I can just remove it without having little LOD landscape data left afterward.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom