Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Xeon

Augur
What is the best way to kill ghosts? Do I need magic or do I need magical weapons similar to the Golems in Baldur's Gate? I am trying to play stealthy and none of my weapons work on ghosts type enemies and I don't have any magic and kinda hoping of playing magic free, The only way I found that works is attacking them unarmed which is basically suicide for my character. Anyway I left the Dwemer Cave and I am thinking of joining the thieves guild and hopefully get a decent magical weapons and equipments.

I also wanted to join the Tongs but since I picked an Agent as my class I'll play a loyal dog for the empire. Oh and man, I am glad Skyrim made sneaking toggleable[?] instead of pressing the LCTRL for the entire duration. I finally managed to experience the Key Words dialogue Wasteland 2 was trying to go for before [I think] and its not bad. Still prefer full sentences but yea Key Words are pretty good actually.

Oh and is there a house or something? I have 2 Skoomas and 10 Moon Sugars and I keep on dropping them on the floor before checking the shops, Don't want to risk putting them on a random container and losing them just in case I'll need them later.

Tried the MGE mod and damn my frame rate plummeted (I don't understand how I can run Skyrim on 60fps while this was barely reaching 15). Anyway uninstalled and got 2 unofficial bug fix patches and a better Head, Body, clothes and bigger font mods instead.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
You either need enchanted weapons or a weapon made of silver or better; normal weapons won't cut it. Go ahead and join the Morag Tong, it doesn't really interfere with your primary allegiance. Containers (apart from few specific cases, like guild gear chests) won't ever respawn/clear so you could even hole up in bandit cave if you wanted to. I usually just murder some poor sap whose house I like until the time I can get some proper crib (ie., Tel Uvirith).

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah, but resist the temptation of using Ralen Hlaalo's corpse as your personal bank vault. Abusing the poor permanent corpses ain't cool.

DraQ

Arcane
What is the best way to kill ghosts? Do I need magic or do I need magical weapons similar to the Golems in Baldur's Gate?
To kill most incorporeal (ghosts) or otherwise non-mundane (daedra) beings you need either an enchanted weapon, weapon from non-mundane material (silver or anything better will do), fists or magic.

I also wanted to join the Tongs but since I picked an Agent as my class I'll play a loyal dog for the empire.
Which tongs? Camonna Tong doesn't want any outlander n'wahs in their ranks, including Dunmer who lived abroad, anyway.
Morag Tong is surprisingly tolerant for their traditional nature, and also legal and bound by rigid code of conduct, despite being bunch of assassins and a daedric cult.

I finally managed to experience the Key Words dialogue Wasteland 2 was trying to go for before [I think] and its not bad. Still prefer full sentences but yea Key Words are pretty good actually.
I like it too. A bit skimpy on characterization but not every game must be PS:T.

Oh and is there a house or something? I have 2 Skoomas and 10 Moon Sugars and I keep on dropping them on the floor before checking the shops, Don't want to risk putting them on a random container and losing them just in case I'll need them later.
You can have a stronghold built for you if you join a great house, you can also appropriate any house that becomes vacant as a result of your questing or other activity (for example due to certain events involving Hla Oad, Balmora and Ebonheart Vorar Helas from Balmora tends to have an accident in my game), just be careful as anything you take out fo containers in such hous will count as stolen (including stuff you put there).

As for skooma and moon sugar, I would just sell it to the first Khajiit merchant I meet. Maybe keep the sugar if I was interested in alchemy.

Xeon

Augur
Thank you! I'll look for an enchanted weapons and go back there before the bandits respawn and will look for the murdered noble quest.

Turisas said:
Go ahead and join the Morag Tong, it doesn't really interfere with your primary allegiance.
The Spymaster said something about there being two groups of guilds and factions. First group favoring the Imperials and the other favoriting the native Dunmer so I thought I have to choose or something. My bad.

DraQ said:
Which tongs?
Sorry, I was referring to the Morag Tong.

DraQ said:
just be careful as anything you take out fo containers in such hous will count as stolen (including stuff you put there).
So if I use the murdered noble's house, will my items be tagged as stolen?

DraQ said:
As for skooma and moon sugar, I would just sell it to the first Khajiit merchant I meet. Maybe keep the sugar if I was interested in alchemy.
I thought I could sell the Skoomas to the Spymaster for a higher price or something since he is addicted to it I think.

Xeon

Augur
Did not know that I could use Caius's house (Is he always shirtless or is it because of a mod?). I know the Healer Blade told me I could sleep at his place but he also told me not to miss with his stuff so can't store stuff at his place AFAIK.

Clockwork Knight said:
As for a home, here's a list (also says which have safe containers to store your stuff) : http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Houses
Thanks!!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

If you use the containers, yes, since NPC-owned containers will remain like that forever (if you just drop them on the ground, on shelves and so on that won't be an issue; plus NPCs never pick up items so they won't get stolen). Normally this isn't a huge deal since vendors won't magically detect stolen stuff (until it is them you've stolen from), but I for example managed to make every diamond I own Nalcarya's (alchemist in Balmora, good place to steal shit from early on) property just because I stole one diamond from her. It's a rather unrealistic and not particularly well thought-over system, but fortunately you can just delete all the STLN tags from your save with Morrowind Enchanted Editor. Take that, stupid dunmer. :smug:

Here's a thread you might want to read regarding the containers: http://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7895&sid=e9e20578fba5651fd64b4fcd306d5b6a

DraQ

Arcane
Turisas said:
Go ahead and join the Morag Tong, it doesn't really interfere with your primary allegiance.
The Spymaster said something about there being two groups of guilds and factions. First group favoring the Imperials and the other favoriting the native Dunmer so I thought I have to choose or something. My bad.

DraQ said:
Which tongs?
Sorry, I was referring to the Morag Tong.
"Tong" is "guild" in Dunmer.
There two factions ending with "Tong":
1. Morag Tong, which is traditional Dunmer assassin guild and cult of Mephala, recognized by the Empire under the terms of Armistice and given right to operate legally in the province of Morrowind. They are actually pretty open to the outlanders despite their traditional Dunmer origin, maybe because of their origin as secretive, non-mainstream religious cult and religious practices overriding typical Dunmer mindset. They are essentially a safety valve for hostilities between great houses, limiting open conflicts and resulting life loss, as well as instrument of the law used for dealing with criminals eluding conventional law enforcement.

2. Camonna Tong, which is criminal organization of extremist nationalists and Dunmer supremacists. They would be happy to see all the outlanders sent home, preferably with slit throats, have friends in high places, and are only limited by not being powerful enough to act openly. They don't even accept those Dark Elves who aren't "true Dumer" - for example displaying accent or manners betraying their upbringing outside of Morrowind. They are a nasty bunch, and there is no joining them because you're either a filthy n'wah or not true Dunmer, having been raised with no respect for homeland and tradition by some traitorous fucks who went to live somewhere else than glorious homeland.

If you put them in his chests, crates, etc. Storing them in the open - tables, shelves, even floor - is ok.

Also, named NPCs, including bandits, don't respawn. Same with containers.
Only creatures, unnamed NPCs (guards, vampires, etc.), plants and guild supply chests respawn. Respawnable containers don't allow you to put items in them, so the only ways to actually lose an item for good are dropping it somewhere where it can't be reached (lava, for example, under permacorpse, or under thick carpet), giving it up in a quest (sometimes, usually the person will actually put it in their inventory) or stashing it on a regular corpse that will despawn.

Selling equippable item to a merchant may result in semi-permanent loss of it, because if merchant equips it the only way or getting it back will be either selling the merchant something they will equip in its place, forcing unequip by disintegration (which is a hostile act and only works on weapons and armour), or murdering and looting that merchant.

As for Caius' shirt - he's a bit of a bum and just plain fucking doesn't care about looking presentable. Helps his harmless skooma-head image too.

Not if you use his corpse as container.
Bad baturinsky!
Stop endorsing derpy metagame'y shit in glorious Morrowind.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Fuck you Draco now I will never be able to look at that old boozer in the same way again

Boozers aren't ripped, bro. Strict skooma regimen only, for max gains.

SJIFsJJ.jpg

"Tong" is "guild" in Dunmer.

Also, interestingly, a Tong is a type of Chinese secret society, and Tongmeng means alliance (as in Tongmenghui, the underground resistance movement founded by Sun Yat-Sen) -- a neat reference and one of the many far Eastern touches that were used to create the world

TracerTong.png

Coincidence? I think not :insert Illuminati theory:

To easily get rid of your Moon Sugar and Skooma I suggest going to the merchant Rha'virr. He's between the entrance of Balmora and the Fighters/Mages Guilds. Makes sure to ask about his 'Daedric' weapons.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's an easy bandit cave right outside Seyda Neen with a ton of moon sugar in it. Easiest way to earn some early cash is raiding that cave on the way to Balmora and selling to the Khajit as soon as you walk into town. Then grab that enchanted sword in one of the Balmora guard towers and you're good to go.

Hand-placed loot :love:

visions

Arcane
just be careful as anything you take out fo containers in such hous will count as stolen (including stuff you put there).

Didn't realize this, was always puzzled how I seemingly always had something "stolen" on me.

Or you can just DL some house mod from net. IRC Caius Cosades lets you dock :lol:

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything, I would have spat my drink out.

There's an easy bandit cave right outside Seyda Neen with a ton of moon sugar in it. Easiest way to earn some early cash is raiding that cave on the way to Balmora and selling to the Khajit as soon as you walk into town. Then grab that enchanted sword in one of the Balmora guard towers and you're good to go.

Ah, one of the Swords of White Woe. That damn thing has ruined the early challenge of a great many people's playthroughs.

Machocruz

Arcane
Ah, the days when ES rewarded exploration. I wouldn't even say ES has any kind of exploration at all these days. It's more like tourism, sight seeing. When I "explore," I do so in hopes of finding something. I'm funny like that.

DraQ

Arcane

I'd love a game combining hand placed and random loot - either randomize between a number of possible pre-set locations for legendary lewt (and between occurence and absence of particular artifacts at all) at chargen, or find a way to customize resting place of an item and logically connect it in a way that can be examined by player with in-game clues despite choosing it from generic set.

Didn't realize this, was always puzzled how I seemingly always had something "stolen" on me.
Stolen items also infect other items of the same type when they stack, because it seems that items lose their individual representation when stacking, so stolen tags are all or nothing.

Or you can just DL some house mod from net. IRC Caius Cosades lets you dock :lol:
Docking with Caius initiated!
:troll:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd love a game combining hand placed and random loot - either randomize between a number of possible pre-set locations for legendary lewt (and between occurence and absence of particular artifacts at all) at chargen, or find a way to customize resting place of an item and logically connect it in a way that can be examined by player with in-game clues despite choosing it from generic set.

I think hand-placing named unique items but leaving everything else random would be fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom