Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You remember that dialog in bloodlines that Nines had

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
where you could gain a melee dot if you followed the right parts of the dialog tree? And, although it was recursive (so it's actually a graph, not a tree), it counted the number of responses you used and cut it short, so you either gained lore (the bait) or the dot (the secret)?

No? You didn't?
Tough luck

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was rhetwhachacallit, but i'd be interested in knowing of other games that did the same 'dialog tree 'time-limit'' trick.

Notice that there are actually two dots given by Nines, one melee and another brawl. The melee one required visiting the 9th round just before he goes away, but after you meet him once there, so it's easy to miss (just before the Elizabeth Dane).

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I found this game to be offensively poorly written. For all the hype it gets on sites like this, you'd think it'd at least be directed at intelligent adults, but instead it treated me like an autistic kid who couldn'tmanage to read more than one or two sentences that spell out the point as plainly as possible.

Captain Shrek

I found this game to be offensively poorly written. For all the hype it gets on sites like this, you'd think it'd at least be directed at intelligent adults, but instead it treated me like an autistic kid who couldn'tmanage to read more than one or two sentences that spell out the point as plainly as possible.

You mean compared to diablo?

Humppaleka

Cipher

You mean compared to Diablo 3's MAJESTIC writing?*

I fix.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot

I fix.
No.

Captain Shrek

I fix.
No.
Then do you mean compared to For Whom the Bell Tolls?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, I mean compared to Deus Ex, which apparently it was attempting to emulate.

Captain Shrek

Well, I mean compared to Deus Ex, which apparently it was attempting to emulate.

So we should judge that game based solely on writing? And can you tell me why is the writing in that game "bad"? Let's have some reasons, shall we?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Deus_Ex_%2528PC%2529_21.jpg

A7Hqs.jpg

Well, first, all I said was the game is badly written.

Second, I remember I was in a doctor's office in the first area of Bloodlines. That might even be where the screen above is from; I don't remember. But I do remember that you could find evidence there of an affair on the doctor's computer, then wander in on the doctor and threaten to ruin him unless he gives you money. He then generally agrees to give you money, probably after a skill check. And then it's over.

There were literally ONLY emails concerning the affair on the doctor's computer. These emails very very very short, and very to-the-point. It was probably also raunchy in a boring way, like the above. I wish I could remember exactly why, but I felt offended by how simple and plain it all was, like it was written by a teenage amateur modder or something.

Anyway, that's why. I remember the dialogue being vaguely better, but I got bored after a few hours, so I dunno.

Captain Shrek

Do you realize how retarded you claim is based on these arguments? Deus Ex focused on dialogues and information in an unusually detailed way. VMTB did not. It had another focus. Not to mention the plot, characters and the general text is actually well written and consistent in VMTB.

This makes for the obvious conclusion: Your post was simply meant as a troll by "blaspheming" against the codex's beloved games. And a retarded troll that could be outed with a couple of post. You are a loser Suejack.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
If you say so. I stopped playing because it was badly written.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
That's a big difference, too. When Deus Ex would be funny, it would do so in-character. Its characters spoke for themselves, were funny in themselves.

Bloodlines was full of out-of-character in-jokes and TV references, jokes for the sake of jokes. Especially ones I don't get, because fuck if I watch Futurama.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Joined: Aug 16, 2012 :hmmm: Those new fags are getting edgier and edgier.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I feel like bad writing is tolerated, while mediocre writing gets spooned."--Brian Mitsoda

Stop spooning Brian guys. That said, Deus Ex wasn't better written either and Bloodlines was funnier.

Vibalist

Arcane
Anyway, that's why. I remember the dialogue being vaguely better, but I got bored after a few hours, so I dunno.

Why do you go through the trouble of criticizing the game only to admit afterwards that you haven't even played it? Go back and play it you useless troll.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Roguey I guess if you're a frat boy.

For the record, Deus Ex was VERY well-written. Written by people who had actually read real classic literature. The references in Deus Ex were to Thomas Aquinas and G.K. Chesterton. Bloodlines referenced Matt Groening.

Why do you go through the trouble of criticizing the game only to admit afterwards that you haven't even played it? Go back and play it you useless troll.
Well, I couldn't play it because it was badly written. Seriously, all I did was say it was badly written, an easily argued point, and as usual every response afterward was directed at me. :thumbsup:

Murk

Arcane
Oh what the fuck is wrong with you (people)?

Back to topic: I got the brawl dot the first time around because I was sucking up to him in some weird attempt to join the Anarchs, so I always figured it's just a "talk enough and get the dot" type of deal, it wasn't until subsequent playthroughs that I failed to get it and thought it may have had to do with some other choices I made before. Regardless, I can't say I've encountered such "time-limit" dialogs, but I have encountered tons of sub-trees in dialog that have multiple options, with one of the options closing that sub-tree; so if you don't pick the other options before the closing one you just don't get to have those dialogs, ever. Usually, it's not a big deal, but if it's a neat dialog tree in and of itself it can be somewhat frustrating to miss such things.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Definitely not. It's not intelligent humor, but humor doesn't have to be. "LOCAL PAPER SENSATIONALIZES FACT"? The really long political smear on the radio? Laugh riot.

For the record, Deus Ex was VERY well-written. Written by people who had actually read real classic literature. The references in Deus Ex were to Thomas Aquinas and G.K. Chesterton. Bloodlines referenced Matt Groening.
A person who has read classic literature and can drop references to it isn't necessarily a good writer.

Captain Shrek

Definitely not. It's not intelligent humor, but humor doesn't have to be. "LOCAL PAPER SENSATIONALIZES FACT"? The really long political smear on the radio? Laugh riot.

A person who has read classic literature and can drop references to it isn't necessarily a good writer.

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom