Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your fantasy mash-up of engine and story?

MisterStone

Arcane
So, all of the lamenting in the Let's Play Toee! thread about what a wasted opportunity that game was has me thinking:

If you could pair any storyline (either from an existing RPG, or a story from somewhere else) with any CRPG engine/mechanics (that is, the engine from a game that has already been published, including all of the title's game mechanics), what would you choose?

For me, maybe Wasteland remade using the JA2 engine. ( I would say Fallout, but it is already pretty fun as it is, and it is a bit too "over the top" to really go well with the super-realistic JA2 engine.)

Granted, the Wasteland story would need some overhauling as well... it didn't have persistent or interactive NPCs, but it had good settings, good maps, and good area concepts, and it was pretty groundbreaking in how it allowed the player to use skills on the environment.

MetalCraze

Arcane
PS:T-level storyline with fallout-style tb combat, SPECIAL as a ruleset and a free exploration (because planescape setting is something you can never be bored to explore)
because really - PS:T seriously lacked in all that.
oh yes sir - that would be a most perfect game evar.

psycojester

Arbiter
I'd like to see somebody create a Vampire the Masquerade game using the engine used for Crackdown.

Dire Roach

Prophet
FALLOUT + OBLIVION :roll:

Obviously, all games that use D&D-derived mechanics can be enhanced by using ToEE-style combat.

What I'd like to see someday is a zombie apocalypse survival simulator, regardless of engine. Well, except Oblivion's.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I would like MOTB more if it wasn't for the RTwP epic combat smacking me left and right.
'PAY ATTENTION NUB'
'HA U DIDN'T DISPEL MWHAHAH U SUCK'
'U FERGET TO ENCHANT SUCKA'
'OOOPS ELEMENT RESIST U DID 1 DMG TARD'

Couple that with running into a woods filled with *i do NOT exaggerate* GIANT trees, GIANT trolls, frost GIANTs and GIANT wyverns; I think I'm justified to want them to change the combat system badly.

Zomg

Arbiter
Civilization + JA2

It makes sense in my head.

Arcanum+Any 3d engine with good combat and dialogue.

Hmm and for a non-RPG story, i'd really like to see a game that uses 19th century Russia as a setting. Maybe with the Gothic or Witcher engines.

Norfleet

MisterStone said:
If you could pair any storyline (either from an existing RPG, or a story from somewhere else) with any CRPG engine/mechanics (that is, the engine from a game that has already been published, including all of the title's game mechanics), what would you choose?
Hmm, well, given that all the obvious candidates have been mentioned already, I want to see Diablo in the Total War engine.

Suchy

Arcane
Fallout+SPECIAL+TB with controllable party members (or good AI)+Stalker graphic engine.
Betrayal at Krondor with original combat and skill system on Gothic engine

Texas Red

Whiner
Shota Shernokavich said:
Hmm and for a non-RPG story, i'd really like to see a game that uses 19th century Russia as a setting. Maybe with the Gothic or Witcher engines.

I agree. RPGs should be set in alternative history. That way it is easier for a player to relate, thus there is more escapism and IMMERSHUN. Why do we only have a shitty Lionheart as an example?

Lumpy

Arcane
Arcanum with less combat, less silliness and the Fallout engine.

Any good western (maybe use the cool Aces & Eights setting) on JA2 engine. Well, JA2 engine with pretty much any non-fantasy setting (or I don't know, with some tweaks I suppose it would handle at least halfway realistic fantasy well) would be most awesome.

SkeleTony

Augur
Natuk setting with Helherron's system but minus Helherron's bugs(or somehow convert the Linux game to Windows use).

Any (A)D&D game converted to 4E's system/rules set(or ANY non-Vancian system).

I would agree with the poster above me(the guy with the seemingly Lovecraftian handle I dare not try to re-type) except that JA2 really needs a more comprehensive skill system. But yeah it is an excellent game/engine.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum with JA2 combat.

Or PST with TOEE combat.

EDIT:
Also, both of those games with the fucking awesome DWARF FORTRESS combat.
Arcanum would be fucking hilarious with flying-off arms and using all kinds of shit as weapons.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not in the Bethesda-way, but in the Dwarf Fortress way. It's a big difference if you make it in a realistic yet hilarious way or if you make it in the Bethesda-way of "LULZ SEE HOW HIS HEAD EXPLODES INTO A BLOODY CLOUD???"

mjorkerina

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Not in the Bethesda-way, but in the Dwarf Fortress way. It's a big difference if you make it in a realistic yet hilarious way or if you make it in the Bethesda-way of "LULZ SEE HOW HIS HEAD EXPLODES INTO A BLOODY CLOUD???"

Don't. Just don't.

Too much humor packed in a cRPG can distract you from the tone of an otherwise serious game story. I already hated in Arcanum the presence of quests like the Stillwater Giant, as much as I love the Monty Python I certainly DON'T want to see references to them in a cRPG, it just breaks the fourth wall and the flow in the game. The seriousness of the mainquest was gone from my mind and the second time I played I enjoyed just killing the fuck out of that damn elf and bringing his soul back to the living so he'd teach me where Quintara is without seeing that murderous bunny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom