Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your Favourite Game Was Rubbish

Marsal

Arcane
Bit-tech.net

"Bioshock was better than System Shock" and "Invisible war is the best Deus Ex game". Now you know. :smug:

dbx

Arcane
Patron
:D :lol: Who's the codexers that wrote the comment about :decline: under the alias idontwannaknow ?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
*Headdesk*

Each time I see someone saying 'UR BLINDED BY TEH NOSTALGIA' I feel like beating them to death with a golf club.

Joe Martin said:
I’m tired. Tired of the fact that it seems all you need to do these days to secure a reputation as a games journalist is to wax philosophic once-monthly about the noir themes of Deus Ex, or talk about how scary the zombie monkeys were in System Shock 2. A mere mention of a few classic franchises is all it takes to establish a fanbase in the massive community of gamers who have firmly entrenched themselves in their own nostalgia.
Joe Martin said:
Despite the title and everything else in this article, I do actually love Deus Ex (it is my favourite game) and Beyond Good & Evil and Thief and all those other games that get mentioned by people like me in places such as this.
Gaming journalist reputation secured.

Heh, the "I luv old gaems, but they suxx nao, nextgen consolisation FTW innovashun streamline ohgoditshevan" routine never seems to get old.

spekkio

Arcane
Author is clearly trolling - no sane person can claim that Bioshock > SS2. Maybe except Volly.

Edit:
In System Shock 2 there’s literally no exploration of who or what you are and SHODAN hogs the limelight greedily, though somewhat deservedly.
BioShock, which was actually designed by some of System Shock 2’s principal talent, addresses this flaw directly, deliberately and diligently by making the player an active and important part of the plot, not merely a tool for exploring it.
Massive fail. SS2 was about experiencing the game more than once with different bulids.
Bioshock tries to be narrative Half-life style and fails miserably, mainly because of it's shitty shooting mechanics and ends up as linear BSB shooter. And what plot are we talking about? Teh OMG plot-twist copied directly form SS2 but even more obvious this time?
Bioshock is an attempt to streamline SS2 for console crowd. A failed one. It should rest in piss, where it belongs.

Fuck, back in the day I thought that HL1 was great bringing interesting story into FP shooter genre. Now I can see it was the beginning of the decline. Now every sad basement-dwelling developer wants to tell us a fucking STORY! GTFO, learn to make proper game mechanics first you fuckin' twats!

KalosKagathos

Learned
In Invisible War though this idea of giving players an actual emotional motive, rather than a tactical one, is carried to a proper conclusion. If you like games which provide an emotional attachment then DX2 is a clearly superior game.
What if I like games which provide interesting level design?

So much fail in this article.

Quilty

Magister
I've read a couple of his other articles and it's pretty damn obvious this Joe Martin guy's an awful writer. He just throws together a couple of stock phrases and a reference to Fallout or whatever classic game and thinks that's what makes a good piece.

Felix

Arcane
I just played Deus Ex and System Shock 2 last year and like them more than 'modern games, what is this nostalgia bullshit.

gun-bullet.jpg

for that guy

Whats up with Doom 3 > Half Life 2? Thats not nostalgia, they were released at the same time. I get the feeling he wanted to write Doom 3 > Half life, but didn't have the balls cause he knew his readers had actually played HL and would call him out on his bull shit.

What makes this brilliant is the fact that Invisible War’s economy of resources is almost totally broken. It’s almost impossible to go five steps without tripping over money, while every weapon in the game uses the same Universal Ammo. That means rather than saving your one-time classmate Klara from her position as an Illuminati hostage because it might get you some money or weaponry, you’re doing it almost purely because of an attachment to that character or some over-riding philosophy.

You heard it here. The best part about invisible war was that there was so much health and ammo that you didn't have to worry about dieing. Which is funny, because I don't think I have ever even come close to running out of health and ammo in Deus Ex. Game Journalists are pretty shitty at playing games I guess.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I also played Deus Ex for the first time last year, and enjoyed it very much. No nostalgia there.

People use "rose-tinted spectacles" too much as an argument sometimes.

Achilles

Arcane
Rohit_N said:
People use "rose-tinted spectacles" too much as an argument sometimes.

Yes, exactly. Every time you try to raise the argument that some old games were way better than their modern "counterparts", it's only a matter of time before someone starts saying that you're just nostalgic. Of course none of them ever played the older games because of "teh awful graphix", but they have no problem judging them.

There were a couple of people that were actually convinced to sit down and try an older game. In the end they loved it, as was expected. Old graphics aside, quality shines through if you keep an open mind.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, the first half was allright I guess. I mean, who can forget classic moments like these:

Black%20Background.jpg

Watch out!
Black%20Background.jpg

Holy crap!
Black%20Background.jpg

Behind you!

But then it all fell apart in the second half:

Black%20Background.jpg

Wuuut
Black%20Background.jpg

Boorrrring²
Black%20Background.jpg

Bullshit!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Well, at first stages lack of flashlight had a great effect, both with low ammo. And then it got old quick.

spekkio said:
In System Shock 2 there’s literally no exploration of who or what you are and SHODAN hogs the limelight greedily, though somewhat deservedly.
BioShock, which was actually designed by some of System Shock 2’s principal talent, addresses this flaw directly, deliberately and diligently by making the player an active and important part of the plot, not merely a tool for exploring it.

lulz

Well, he successful trolled a few extra visits to their shitty site.

They should stick to hardware reviews, though Anandtech is still light-years ahead of them in that regard as well.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
*Headdesk*

Each time I see someone saying 'UR BLINDED BY TEH NOSTALGIA' I feel like beating them to death with a golf club.

LOL golf club you're such a nostalgia person, modern people use electronic golf-video-game controllers that are shaped like a golf club. They're much more advanced than that oldschool non-electronic shit!

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
CSM said:
Yeah, the first half was allright I guess. I mean, who can forget classic moments like these:

Watch out!
Black%20Background.jpg

John Carmack sent a powerful ripple through development community by spreading awareness of what it is like to be a blind person trapped in a monster closet. An exaggerated situation to be sure, but drawing parallels from real life. After all, what is traffic but multi-ton metal monsters intent on killing the unaware ?

As result of Doom 3, we quickly learned that we should never put blind people in dangerous situations, and help them across the street whenever possible. Also, walking them around, as opposed to into, drug dealers and gangbangers (another type of monster) is of invaluable help.

Doom 3 was a profound game, and John Carmack never sought any international exposure for its humanitarian awareness message.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom