Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your peeves about internet gamers

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What stuff do you keep hearing on the internet from other gamers that annoys you personally? That includes stuff from the Codex itself. For me, it would be the following.

"Doom and gloom! The gaming industry is dying!"
Yes, the fact that recent games you have played were not to your own liking means the permanent end of all quality. I find this sort of bitching annoying, because if you don't like a game, don't fucking play it. Just go and play the ones you like. To build up such discontent about it, that you go as far as becoming a prophet of doom is downright ridiculous. :roll:

"The large stupid unwashed masses have no taste in games, and are interfering with my enjoyment of games."
This is downright narcissism and self-righteousness. So people are buying and playing the games they like, and it just happens that you don't like those particular games. God forbid! Next thing you know, they'll even start having their own taste in games. The world is truly coming to an end here! :o

"Today's obsession with graphics has harmed quality."
The top selling games don't have fancy graphics (World Of Warcraft, The Sims,.etc). The consumer does not care about graphics. Hordes of people still play old multiplayer shooters. And that aside, in many respects, graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive. Graphical technology is pushed not necessarilly just for aesthetic purposes, but for changing what is possible with a game. In context of really old games, one could only move the camera in angles of 90 degrees. Movement was abrupt rather than continuous. What Wolf3D, Doom, and Quake did for graphical technology was indispensible. It allowed for more thorough exploration of the world, and much more ease of use.

"Blah blah morality blah blah shades of grey blah blah hard moral choices blah blah"
This whole issue of morality in games shouldn't even have come up. I seriously don't know why gamers care about what kind of moral choices a game makes them do. And then they go into the whole dungeons and dragons ethics discussion. God I hate that stuff.

So I've made my rant. Like I've said above, what are your personal peeves regarding common statements made by internet gamers?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why don't you go rant to the people who are making these statements, rather than presenting flawed arguments here that you can easily refute?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Presenting flawed arguments that I can easily refute? It's only a generalization. Of course a generalization will not be entirely reflective of what one thinks, but all that is pretty much the gist of what some people seem to be saying.

Kraszu

Prophet
Wyrmlord said:
The top selling games don't have fancy graphics (World Of Warcraft, The Sims,.etc).

Can you name rest of those top selling popular games whithout fancy grapchics?

Wyrmlord said:
The consumer does not care about graphics. Hordes of people still play old multiplayer shooters. And that aside, in many respects, graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive. Graphical technology is pushed not necessarilly just for aesthetic purposes, but for changing what is possible with a game. In context of really old games, one could only move the camera in angles of 90 degrees. Movement was abrupt rather than continuous. What Wolf3D, Doom, and Quake did for graphical technology was indispensible. It allowed for more thorough exploration of the world, and much more ease of use.

That was what over 10 years ago? The problem is that that modern quality grapchics cost fortune to make, and that makes innovation in gameplay much harder. Since there is smaller number of games made then they can be less appealing to each gaming group becouse of lack of competition. (and be little appealing to many)

Wyrmlord said:
"Blah blah morality blah blah shades of grey blah blah hard moral choices blah blah"
This whole issue of morality in games shouldn't even have come up. I seriously don't know why gamers care about what kind of moral choices a game makes them do. And then they go into the whole dungeons and dragons ethics discussion. God I hate that stuff.

That just makes more interesting choices what is wrong whit that?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wyrmlord said:

Because there are people who actually like believable and good stories, and who like the concept of meaningful choice and consequence?

Lumpy

Arcane
Hey guys I hate all of your opinions.
What do you think?

J1M

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
What stuff do you keep hearing on the internet from other gamers that annoys you personally? That includes stuff from the Codex itself. For me, it would be the following.

Yes, the fact that recent games you have played were not to your own liking means the permanent end of all quality. I find this sort of bitching annoying, because if you don't like a game, don't fucking play it. Just go and play the ones you like. To build up such discontent about it, that you go as far as becoming a prophet of doom is downright ridiculous. :roll:

"The large stupid unwashed masses have no taste in games, and are interfering with my enjoyment of games."
This is downright narcissism and self-righteousness. So people are buying and playing the games they like, and it just happens that you don't like those particular games. God forbid! Next thing you know, they'll even start having their own taste in games. The world is truly coming to an end here! :o

The top selling games don't have fancy graphics (World Of Warcraft, The Sims,.etc). The consumer does not care about graphics. Hordes of people still play old multiplayer shooters. And that aside, in many respects, graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive. Graphical technology is pushed not necessarilly just for aesthetic purposes, but for changing what is possible with a game. In context of really old games, one could only move the camera in angles of 90 degrees. Movement was abrupt rather than continuous. What Wolf3D, Doom, and Quake did for graphical technology was indispensible. It allowed for more thorough exploration of the world, and much more ease of use.

So I've made my rant. Like I've said above, what are your personal peeves regarding common statements made by internet gamers?
It's always a little funny and very sad when the unwashed masses think they are the connesseurs.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Here's a scarecrow.

But, he's more or less the same thing as a real man.

He's a real man with a really bad argument actually.

See, since his argument is so bad we can just light him on fire if we want.

It's neat.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
But I've already played these games 6 years ago.

Nothing else needs to be said but CAPITALISM
Also I've never really heard that statement before in that context.
The real problem though is that there is never enough developers to go around, so you see alot of companies turning to making cellphone games because it makes more money, and you see less REAL FUCKIN GAEMS, also it seems like you've now got super developers with shitloads of testing before release, and smaller developers just can't compete to meet the deadlines against these kinds of companies so they try and balance concept integration and making a non-buggy release. Then their name gets buried and publishers kind of forget them and drop support, and the game goes underground.

Too bad nobody today is pushing what is possible in a game with new graphics, huh?

Its more or less the reviewers who hype this weak nonsense we are seeing in some games nowadays *cough* BIOSHOCK *cough*.
If I'm going to play a game for C&C then I'll play it for C&C, and I don't want some half-assed attempts like what Bioware pushes out. Other than that, I'll just get back to shooting kids on COD4.

Most of them try to judge the industry without knowing shit about it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Wyrmlord said:

Because there are people who actually like believable and good stories, and who like the concept of meaningful choice and consequence?
It's not that at all. I do like good choices, but why must those choices be related to morality only? Morality has become a big word these days in RPGs, for some reason. I feel that maybe perhaps more value is given to it than it deserves.

Zomg

Arbiter
Very few people know how to talk about difficulty in single-player games without embarrassing themselves.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Wyrmlord said:
What stuff do you keep hearing on the internet from other gamers that annoys you personally? That includes stuff from the Codex itself.
For me it would be following.

spacemoose

Erudite
Wyrmlord said:

I don't think you're in the right forum duder

and 'peeves' is a horrible word

Depressinator

Novice
People like you, mostly. Yes, things are great and halo 3 will be so fucking ninja on fie awesome.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'll just go for the easy target that everyone's already aware of. I don't like the delusional. I don't like people who tell me DotA or Smash Bros are games of skill, people who will tell me Starcraft is perfectly balanced, or will tell me that the controls of Metal Gear Solid 2+ aren't poor.

The arguments about skill are just on my mind because I went around checking the SC sites for news. Starcraft 2 forums nerd rage over being able to select more than one building and more than 12 units at the same time because they think it will give "noobs" too much of an advantage over the elite (them...I think the term they use is "skilled players"). I don't think someone who relies on APM deserves to never be beaten by "noobs," those lowly ungodly creatures, and that if that's their edge and they are so terrified of losing it then they really aren't as good at the game as they pretend to be.

I hate Japan and the Japanese and all Japanese gamers.

Zomg

Arbiter
How is Smash Brothers different from other fighting games such that it isn't a game of skill? I haven't played it, this is an actual question.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm having trouble writing you a response because the only other fighting games I've played are Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat 3 (don't like the genre). Smash Bros is spammy and shallow, that's what I've thought every time I've played it. You figure out the two or three moves that work with your character and then you use them over and over. I guess it just feels shallow because there's not much for you to -do- in the game. When it feels like the path to success in a game is to be as big a Jew as possible it doesn't feel like a game of skill.

It's less clear cut than DotA, my other example, which is just a battle of the build orders which quickly becomes lopsided.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know that in Street Fighter 3 and the jap fighting games like Touhou 10.5 you need to block, parry (all reaction-based) to get anywhere; also, you need to know when to counter what move with what other move, when to use a move, when to jump, things like that.

In Smash Brothers, as far as I know, mashing buttons and trying to use your few good moves strategically end up being the same.

Here: I think you can't have scenes like this in SB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cW2nMf1gk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom