Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Odoryuk

Educated
Unlimited saving is the one feature I can't live without. It is necessary when you have a work / life balance that is tough to maintain and want to add some gaming into it. I never know when I'm going to be needed around the house or when I just drop tired and need to go to bed. "I know you're tired, don't worry, the next save point is 30 minutes away." Just no.
I can forgive the issue for old games though. I know what I'm getting into when I start them.

Another one I'll add ? Adjustable difficulty on the fly. "Just get good" is a mentality I don't have the time anymore for, considering most games are to never be replayed again I do not see any worth in the investment. As a result, if I can't adjust the difficultyid game, I'll go for easy because if I don't and hit a roadblock, well, this game is getting uninstalled. I do like my challenge andy difficulty which is why I always put the difficulty as high as I can but always with the fallback of being able to change it later if I just don't care enough.
Are there even modern games that won't let you save at all for a long amount of time? Limited saves feature is a spectrum. Most modern games actually save your progress all the time (FromSoft games, roguelikes, etc), the only limited thing is that you can't have multiple save slots, but if you have to get to your crying toddler in the middle of a playsession, you won't lose much progress, if any at all, by just turning the game off (good luck if you were fighting a boss in a FS game though). I thought that starving for save points was left in the past.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Unlimited saving is the one feature I can't live without. It is necessary when you have a work / life balance that is tough to maintain and want to add some gaming into it. I never know when I'm going to be needed around the house or when I just drop tired and need to go to bed. "I know you're tired, don't worry, the next save point is 30 minutes away." Just no.
I can forgive the issue for old games though. I know what I'm getting into when I start them.

Another one I'll add ? Adjustable difficulty on the fly. "Just get good" is a mentality I don't have the time anymore for, considering most games are to never be replayed again I do not see any worth in the investment. As a result, if I can't adjust the difficultyid game, I'll go for easy because if I don't and hit a roadblock, well, this game is getting uninstalled. I do like my challenge andy difficulty which is why I always put the difficulty as high as I can but always with the fallback of being able to change it later if I just don't care enough.
Are there even modern games that won't let you save at all for a long amount of time? Limited saves feature is a spectrum. Most modern games actually save your progress all the time (FromSoft games, roguelikes, etc), the only limited thing is that you can't have multiple save slots, but if you have to get to your crying toddler in the middle of a playsession, you won't lose much progress, if any at all, by just turning the game off (good luck if you were fighting a boss in a FS game though). I thought that starving for save points was left in the past.

I don't know. But there are definitely rare games that allow you to pick a difficulty when you start, and then fuck you if you picked the wrong although you have zero experience playing it and have no idea what you are sigining for exactly.

I haven't played the Souls game, but from what I hear, you save when you quit ? Like in roguelikes ? I'm fine with that compromise.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Savescumming is my god given right and nobody will take it away from me! :argh:
I don't actually abuse saving that much and i don't really mind lack of unlimited saving as long as checkpoints don't have a retarded placing tho.
Lately came to realise that i don't like games where savescumming feels like a necessity.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Just like with fast travel, once you give the players the option, it influences the design of the whole game.
Which is why Wizardry is the exact same game as the latest AAA open world game, and why video games have gone downhill since unlimited saving was introduced for nearly all games of note since the 1970s.
Ah this good old fashioned dumb as shit argument. Restricted save systems are desired for about 10 reasons, boiling down the problem into "just don't save" is smoothbrain comprehension of game design. I do restrict myself in games with unlimited saving. It is sub-optimal design, but I have to put up with it otherwise I would miss out on...well 80% of old PC games, some otherwise very good. Like the guy above says, it effects the whole game's design and not in a good way.
And you didn't think to mention those 10 reasons? Since someone else mentioned it, savescumming, if anything, makes the game harder for the dumbass abusing it. Trying to manipulate the RNG will work at first, but eventually they'll end up in a position where they just can't anymore. In an action game, the player will eventually end up with no ammo and health. Bad players will find a way to turn a good situation into an awful situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom