Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Hell Swarm

Learned
Sad pathetic little man wants to argue on the quality of an open world while fanboying for Todd Howard's space empty warehouse.
I feel like you're a person who would be too easy to trigger, so I'll refrain myself.
I've read enough of your posts to know what a loser you are. You have to go into other threads to try and 'troll' because Starfield failed and no one wants to discuss it. You swore you would quit the forum and never return because you got labeled a bethestard. Then you tried to bribed your way out of the title and now you're here crawling on your belly like the fag you are..

Remind me why you think you can trigger any one Vic? You're a Bethestard. We laugh at you and your brand of shame.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Sad pathetic little man wants to argue on the quality of an open world while fanboying for Todd Howard's space empty warehouse.
I feel like you're a person who would be too easy to trigger, so I'll refrain myself.
I've read enough of your posts to know what a loser you are. You have to go into other threads to try and 'troll' because Starfield failed and no one wants to discuss it. You swore you would quit the forum and never return because you got labeled a bethestard. Then you tried to bribed your way out of the title and now you're here crawling on your belly like the fag you are..

Remind me why you think you can trigger any one Vic? You're a Bethestard. We laugh at you and your brand of shame.
why did you make a new account Halfling Rodeo ? there aren't 2 retards like you in this world so your brand of autism is pretty obvious

Hell Swarm

Learned

why did you make a new account Halfling Rodeo ? there aren't 2 retards like you in this world so your brand of autism is pretty obvious
What was that Vic? I couldn't hear you over Todd Howard's semen in your throat. Going to change your password again thinking you can't just recover it like last time? lol

Vic

Savant
What was that Vic? I couldn't hear you over Todd Howard's semen in your throat. Going to change your password again thinking you can't just recover it like last time? lol
yes? no, I mean no. wait, can you say that again? it's hard to understand you speaking through your thick autism

deuxhero

Arcane
Doom 2 might be pushing the envelope, but it's nowhere near as bad as Hexen with its "You flipped a switch. No go search the entire level to figure out what changed asshole." design. Hexen is one where a compass could actually improve the gameplay.
The only reason why people give Hexen so much crap is because it broke from the usual level system of the time where you played through levels in sequence, as opposed to going back to older areas which wouldn't be out of place just a few years later. If it didn't have you occasionally going back to old levels to reach new areas, nobody would give it much thought.
Outcast varies between "a bit opaque" and "incomprehensible"
Posts like these make me think the Codex is full of more posers than people would like to admit. Oh, no, you have to stop to solve a puzzle on occasion, how incomprehensible. Yet, somehow I beat it as a kid, while aiming with the keyboard. Apparently some Codexers are more like Resetera users than they'd like to admit.
If puzzles aren't clever or fun, they don't exist for anything but filler and destroying the pacing. Jedi Outcast is an action game, not a puzzle game, and the puzzles are the weakest points. How "difficult" they are is irrelevant. Nevermind that these puzzles so often just plain old don't play by the game's rules (mind trick doesn't work through glass any other point in the game except the one room you're trapped in till you use mind trick through glass) and made by map designers who don't understand even the basic tools the player is given (destroying the generator with grenades to not be caught in the explosion in the first level only doesn't work because the hit box expends beyond the actual blast radius, and it only does that because the devs, really, really, really wanted you to use the completely illogical secret passage to clear it but couldn't be assed to actually give a clear indication the logical grenade method shouldn't work). Jedi Outcast's best levels, by far, are the ones where it stops trying to throw a new gimmick or puzzle at the player for the sake of throwing a new gimmick or puzzle at the player (Lady Luck on Nar Shadda, most of Bespin. parts of the prison ship). Academy, which has Raven's best level design by being relatively straightforward, still has segments where it just plays by new rules when it wants to. In literally every other instance in the game, you can activate force push/pull triggers without getting the force sense hint, but in the tomb level you're forced to use it for no logical reason. In the cloaking device tower level waves the inability of your lightsaber to destroy a thin, worn looking, gate or fan is just rubbed in your face despite having destroyed this kind of thin grate being otherwise reserved for destructible objects..

Contrast this with something like Half Life 2. The puzzles there were at least novel and did play off the game's amazing for the time (and still reasonably good) physics engine, which frequently factored into actual gameplay (so using them to solve puzzles was a natural extension). Even when they felt totally out of place and forced, they weren't remotely as terrible as Jedi Outcast's puzzles.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Even if some of them are chcobo racing, the lack of meaningful side games is what is harming square now.
Since this is the unpopular gaming opinions thread I was obsessed with the PS1 Chocobo Racing game when I was around 8, probably spent more hours on it than every other racing game I've ever played combined and I still consider it my favourite racing game.

Vic

Savant
Since this is the unpopular gaming opinions thread I was obsessed with the PS1 Chocobo Racing game when I was around 8, probably spent more hours on it than every other racing game I've ever played combined and I still consider it my favourite racing game.

Vic

Savant
chocobos are cool, btw their design was inspired by the horseclaws in the manga/anime Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

the-birds-and-windmill-valley-from-nausica%C3%A4-look-very-v0-8o4scq5iiqqc1.jpg

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
chocobos are cool, btw their design was inspired by the horseclaws in the manga/anime Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

the-birds-and-windmill-valley-from-nausica%C3%A4-look-very-v0-8o4scq5iiqqc1.jpg
I don't normally watch a lot of anime but that does look cool, maybe I'll check it out, thanks!

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The only reason why people give Hexen so much crap is because it broke from the usual level system of the time where you played through levels in sequence, as opposed to going back to older areas which wouldn't be out of place just a few years later. If it didn't have you occasionally going back to old levels to reach new areas, nobody would give it much thought.
It's a maelstrom of bad design choices that make Hexen a terrible game. Having to backtrack periodically is not a big deal. Having to backtrack across the entire level 10 times, because there are 10 switches and the game doesn't so much as give you a hint about which switch affects which area, is just shit. This wasn't an evolution of Doom's 3 colored key design; it was a complete failure to understand what made Doom good.
You're right, I didn't remember that you have to backtrack through the first hub 10 or so times because of that. Hexen is probably the Raven game I've played the least, so I didn't quite remember it. That said, my point was not necessarily that anything else was without flaws, but having you search confined to a smaller space would give people less bad memories. Strife has the same problem at times, but its reception is much better because your searches are confined.

Lemming42

Arcane
Hexen annoyingly gets a lot better after the first hub. The Seven Portal or w/e is complete dogshit and it's right at the start of the damn game. The swamp and the wasteland are both a lot better and a lot less laden by bullshit.

I'd really love a talented mapper or team of mappers to go through the game and keep it similar to the original but expand it and make the puzzles much more intuitive. It's a good game at its core, it just never coalesces like it should.

It's also crying out for some kind of Metroidvania aspect in terms of items/powers allowing access to previously unreachable areas. PowerSlave is basically the same game except a thousand times better, and there's probably lessons to take from that.

Ezekiel

Arcane
For what it's worth, that is the All Stars version. They tried to bring it up to parity with World. It has more visual noise and color saturation, but I don't think these are improvements. Look at that garish melon sky, like Liberace was the art director. I prefer the austerity and cleanliness of the original. More is not always better. Plus there are changes in style/concept I don't agree with, for example:

smb3_w1-5.png
smas-smb3_w1-5.png

Two different vibes here. Often (in fact, most of the time) when game developers remake a game, they go for the most obvious, literal re-imagining of the visuals. "It's underground therefore we have to make it look more undergroundy caverny." From the surreal to the prosaic, and who wants prosaic Mario? It's like having Mario run around a normal human cit- huh, what's that?....

World I don't have an issue with because it had its style out of the gate and it looks better than All Stars 3 anyway imo. But I never cared for Nintendo's color or design sense from SNES on, Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid being the exceptions, and not counting DKC because Rare.
Having beaten Spyro the Dragon today, this is how I feel when I look at that remake from a few years ago. I like the impression of an idea in the original, if that makes sense. Like you said, more surreal.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/996580/Spyro_Reignited_Trilogy/

I quoted you after someone asked which version I played.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hexen annoyingly gets a lot better after the first hub. The Seven Portal or w/e is complete dogshit and it's right at the start of the damn game. The swamp and the wasteland are both a lot better and a lot less laden by bullshit.

I'd really love a talented mapper or team of mappers to go through the game and keep it similar to the original but expand it and make the puzzles much more intuitive. It's a good game at its core, it just never coalesces like it should.

It's also crying out for some kind of Metroidvania aspect in terms of items/powers allowing access to previously unreachable areas. PowerSlave is basically the same game except a thousand times better, and there's probably lessons to take from that.
Great game.
A dungeon crawling FPS with puzzles and exploration to add a little more depth to the game.

Now if only we could get a proper Hexen RPG...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom