Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yuji Horii: Western press biased against turn-based systems

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Malraz Alizar said:
Kaanyrvhok said:
Besides the indie stuff when is the last time we have seen a good TB western deved console game?

Off the top of my head, we've seen...

Strategy games like Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
Board games like The Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride
Card games like Magic: The Gathering and Uno
Traditional RPGs like Tim Schafer's Costume Quest and Penny Arcade Adventures
Puzzle RPGs like Puzzle Quest and Gyromancer
Wargames like Panzer General and Worms

All those have come out for the Xbox 360 in just the last few years. I don't know how many of them would meet your criteria for "good", but they all received generally positive scores from the enthusiast press and most enjoyed decent sales, with many spawning sequels and imitators. There's definitely a market for well-designed turn-based games, the only question is how much crossover there is with the market for games about Space Marines or Mad Max or fucking Middle Earth or whatever else the hardcore man-children are into these days.

Almost all of those games are non-traditional cross genre strategy games or arcade games. I'm wondering how something like Mass Effect would sell if it looked and played like FO 1&2. Bioware's handheld sonic game is the only high budget western deved TB RPG that I could think of. You are right though if Magic the Gathering can sell as a TB card game then why couldnt a TB RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom