Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zelda series

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM OLD ENOUGH TO PLAY THE NES ONE WHEN IT CAME OUT AND I LOVED THEM ALL UP TO OCARINA

NEVER PLAYED MAJORAS MASK BUT PLAYED WINDWALKER AND THOUGHT IT WAS HIT AND MISS GOOD ENOUGH TO FINISH THOUGH I THINK THAT WAS THE ONE WITH THE UNDERWATER CASTLE OR SOMETHING I REALY LIKED THAT

I STARTED TWILIGHT PRINCESS BUT COULDNT STAND IT JUST TO EASY AND TOO SLOW AND IT WASNT A SKYWAY NOT LIKING IT WHERE I FINISHED IT TEN TIMES I ACTUALLY QUIT THE GAME AND SOLD IT

I DONT KNOW HOW WELL THE SHIT HOLDS UP NOW FOR ALL OF THEM BUT I DO KNOW I HAVE REPLAYED THE FIRST ONE WITHIN THE LAST FEW YEARS AND THAT SHIT IS STILL SOLID AND IT CAN BE A TOUGH ASS GAME

Spellcaster said:
SCO said:
Yeah, of those that i've played they are fine (not hard, but fine)
I hope you're not talking about the first one because I'm having my ass kicked hard by some damn mages at the sixth dungeon. Holy shit, the game's getting hard as hell, or maybe I'm really bad at this.

I really liked the overworld map and how you can go out and explore right from the beginning. The NPC's phrases appears to be written by a 6 years old japanese kid who's about to receive his first english lessons or something, but they serve a good purpose providing tips and hints to hidden secrets across the map. Overall I don't know why but the game kinda reminds me of an "action oriented King's Quest" or something like that.

It will be difficult to play the GC/Wii games, since it's really unlikely that Dolphin will work at tolerable framerates here, but I'll try to play most of them up to the N64 ones.
The wizards in level 6 are a bitch, the ones that teleport around the room. The pizza monsters that eat your shield don't make life much easier either. Wait 'til later levels when you have a room full of blue knights. Fun times.

Did you get the master sword (I assume you did)? That should help a lot in these dungeons and also know that there's a blue ring that will help you in those mid-levels. There's also another in the last level which makes life there much easier. There's a lot of heart containers spread out around the overworld in secret areas too. I loved this game as a kid.

If you like this one a lot, I'd suggest skipping right to Zelda: A Link to the Past and then Zelda: Link's Awakening. Even though LA was on the Gameboy, I still find it to be at least the third best in the series if not higher. Very well done game.

Luzur

Good Sir
BLOBERT said:
BROS I AM OLD ENOUGH TO PLAY THE NES ONE WHEN IT CAME OUT AND I LOVED THEM ALL UP TO OCARINA

NEVER PLAYED MAJORAS MASK BUT PLAYED WINDWALKER AND THOUGHT IT WAS HIT AND MISS GOOD ENOUGH TO FINISH THOUGH I THINK THAT WAS THE ONE WITH THE UNDERWATER CASTLE OR SOMETHING I REALY LIKED THAT

I STARTED TWILIGHT PRINCESS BUT COULDNT STAND IT JUST TO EASY AND TOO SLOW AND IT WASNT A SKYWAY NOT LIKING IT WHERE I FINISHED IT TEN TIMES I ACTUALLY QUIT THE GAME AND SOLD IT

I DONT KNOW HOW WELL THE SHIT HOLDS UP NOW FOR ALL OF THEM BUT I DO KNOW I HAVE REPLAYED THE FIRST ONE WITHIN THE LAST FEW YEARS AND THAT SHIT IS STILL SOLID AND IT CAN BE A TOUGH ASS GAME

IF YOU TYPE IN "ZELDA" AS NAME YOU'LL ACTIVATE BRO-MODE AND GET IT EVEN HARDER!!!111!!!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LOLLOLLL I ALREADY FINISHED THE SECOND QUEST TOO

Luzur said:
IF YOU TYPE IN "ZELDA" AS NAME YOU'LL ACTIVATE BRO-MODE AND GET IT EVEN HARDER!!!111!!!

you know, I always thought that was kind of dickish, considering how many people think "Zelda" is the guy you control, therefore the name is the prime candidate. I, for example, put it as my name in either Link to the Past or Awakening, don't remember which.

edit: And no, the pun in "A Link to the Past" didn't help matters. When I heard someone saying that the guy you control is called Link, I thought they assumed it was his name just because it was in the title :?

Dire Roach

Prophet
Spellcaster said:
Also I didn't bought the blue ring because it was expensive as fuck and I wasn't too bold to throw away all my money on some unknown item.
A very common mistake. The blue ring is pretty much as essential as the master sword because it reduces all damage that you take. You also want to push lone blocks, burn bushes, and bomb the shit out of walls in the game to find the hidden heart containers in order to have a decent fighting chance.

Clockwork Knight said:
...considering how many people think "Zelda" is the guy you control...
I thought the same thing when I was a kid until the sequels started including Link's name in the titles. I never entered Zelda as the name though because I thought it was inappropriate for a male character to have a name that ended with an a.

It also happened with Metroid since I could not into reading much. I remember discussing it with other kids at the time and everyone had different theories. Someone said "you're all wrong, its those flying brain monsters in the last part of the game!" and thought they were wrong and stupid.

Luzur

Good Sir
it was somesort of a in house joke by the devs (and a means of hiding something out in plain sight), if i remember that interview i read years ago right.

Spellcaster said:
The Ninth Circle said:
The wizards in level 6 are a bitch, the ones that teleport around the room. The pizza monsters that eat your shield don't make life much easier either. Wait 'til later levels when you have a room full of blue knights. Fun times.
Yeah, I'm there now, pretty hard segments but really fun. These dungeons are getting unforgiving as shit :lol:

Did you get the master sword (I assume you did)? That should help a lot in these dungeons and also know that there's a blue ring that will help you in those mid-levels. There's also another in the last level which makes life there much easier. There's a lot of heart containers spread out around the overworld in secret areas too. I loved this game as a kid.
I'm using the master sword but I think I should start looking for the magical one, which apparently is hidden somewhere in the graveyard (at least I had a hint from an NPC pointing me to there), but I couldn't find it yet. Also I didn't bought the blue ring because it was expensive as fuck and I wasn't too bold to throw away all my money on some unknown item.
Yeah, the magical one. It's easy to get as I think all you need is a certain amount of heart containers (end level's count). Definitely get that and the blue ring because nothing other than the candle is really a necessary purchase.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also be thankful you weren't old enough to recall being subjected to marketing like this.

Luzur

Good Sir
Metro said:
Also be thankful you weren't old enough to recall being subjected to marketing like this.

we didnt get cable until around 1989, and Sweden didnt have a commercial channel before that.

so i didnt get subjected to commercials at all before 1989.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
lol if we are going to post commercials the lets stay on topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXb7PIJYmA

That has to be the worst commercial of all time. Every bit as unmarketable as Black Belt's cover

350_Black-Belt-SMS.jpg

The only reason I bought Zelda was I played it at my best friends house and thats when I learned you cant judge a game by the commercial. Oh I loved that game.

I beat the first Zelda without dying. If you knew where the heart containers were it wasn't hard. I did score a fairy with half a heart though.

I'm kinda old school when it comes to Zelda. If you ask me the original was the best.

Spellcaster said:
Jesus Christ :lol:

So I just beat the game and started the 2nd quest, but I still haven't decided if I'll play it or if I should move to the next one. Anyway, the game was great, especially the final dungeon which was pretty hard and entertaining. The rooms filled with blue knights are fun as hell
Skip the second world. Jump to Link's Awakening or Link to the Past.

Kaanyrvhok said:
lol if we are going to post commercials the lets stay on topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXb7PIJYmA

That has to be the worst commercial of all time. Every bit as unmarketable as Black Belt's cover

350_Black-Belt-SMS.jpg

The only reason I bought Zelda was I played it at my best friends house and thats when I learned you cant judge a game by the commercial. Oh I loved that game.

I beat the first Zelda without dying. If you knew where the heart containers were it wasn't hard. I did score a fairy with half a heart though.

I'm kinda old school when it comes to Zelda. If you ask me the original was the best.
Talk about hardcore, my Zelda cartridge wouldn't allow saves after a few years so if I wanted to beat the game I had to do it in one sitting. I did it quite a few times that way.

And yeah, if you know the overworld heart container/ruby spots you can end up with the blue ring, candle, a bunch of hearts and better sword before the first dungeon.

Melcar

Arcane
Best games ever. That is, up to Majora. My first Zelda experience was playing the second game on a friend's NES. I always liked A Link to the Past the best and it remains my favorite SNES game. I remember being so excited for Ocarina (though I was rather disappointed with the last Ganon battle).

Melcar said:
Best games ever. That is, up to Majora. My first Zelda experience was playing the second game on a friend's NES. I always liked A Link to the Past the best and it remains my favorite SNES game. I remember being so excited for Ocarina (though I was rather disappointed with the last Ganon battle).
I couldn't get into 3D Zelda. I could never figure out why, it just seemed to lose a lot of its charm. Probably the perspective change.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
IMG_8982.jpeg

Rat necro can kiss her ass.

Anyway, I don’t know why this old thread never sparked much interest unless the OP sucked that much ass. Point is, it says “Zelda Series” so it seem more appropriate to post anything in that entire series here than the polling thread Which is the best Zelda game?” Hasn’t a new Link/Zelda game come out since then?

Anyway, I had ignored mods until a few videos surfaced in my feed. First there is this site: zeldix.net. Interesting site I had not noticed since I sort of float around Romhacking.net

So the lesser game that led to the game that really drew my interest is:

Then I saw

Castlevania YouTube

If you want to watch that dude’s playthroughs to get an idea of the game….
Hack Games Longplay Channel

Beastro

Arcane
IMG_8982.jpeg

Rat necro can kiss her ass.

Anyway, I don’t know why this old thread never sparked much interest unless the OP sucked that much ass. Point is, it says “Zelda Series” so it seem more appropriate to post anything in that entire series here than the polling thread Which is the best Zelda game?” Hasn’t a new Link/Zelda game come out since then?

Anyway, I had ignored mods until a few videos surfaced in my feed. First there is this site: zeldix.net. Interesting site I had not noticed since I sort of float around Romhacking.net

So the lesser game that led to the game that really drew my interest is:

Then I saw

Castlevania YouTube

If you want to watch that dude’s playthroughs to get an idea of the game….
Hack Games Longplay Channel

There's also Zelda Classic with fan made quests: https://www.zeldaclassic.com/

Many quests add new weapons like a spinning ball and chain: https://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&sort=hits

Plus there's quests with names like this: https://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=336

Ash

Arcane
On topic, Link's Awakening for the best Zelda experience (play the DX version if you're a colorfag).
Better than Link to the Past indeed. However, if you play LTTP first it won't seem like much as they generally play the same. Yet certain factors make it better like the music, dungeon and overworld design, pacing, and a darker more intriguing story.

Ultimately, it's the only Zelda game I'll probably ever bother with at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom