Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zenimax/Bethesda head has history of bribery

GreyViper

Prophet
Clifford and Altman have repeatedly declared that they did not mislead regulators, but in fact were duped themselves by foreign investors whom they trusted.
Am I the oly one who sees how silly/absurd this statement is, I mean wow really? That raises a question is Beth front for money laundering to Zenimax?

Marobug

deuxhero said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/oct98/cliff3.htm

This was tweeted by the Minecraft guy, but pulled a bit after.

Like I needed further evidence of paying for reviews.

Given that 95% of the press (including obscure blogs and sites) gave most if not all of their major games good reviews, is that supposed to mean they bought each every review for each and every game?
All this based on a 1992 investigation that ended with him being acquitted of all charges ?
Makes sense.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You act like that would be difficult to do. Publicity is already a huge part of any game's budget. You want to get a slice, you write a nice review. Write a shit review, ads get pulled and your site is blacklisted for further ads.

.Sigurd

Educated
Marobug said:
deuxhero said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/oct98/cliff3.htm

This was tweeted by the Minecraft guy, but pulled a bit after.

Like I needed further evidence of paying for reviews.

Given that 95% of the press (including obscure blogs and sites) gave most if not all of their major games good reviews, is that supposed to mean they bought each every review for each and every game?
All this based on a 1992 investigation that ended with him being acquitted of all charges ?
Makes sense.
Why a publisher would let their developers give a interview or preview for a site that gave bad scores in the past?

Marobug

DamnedRegistrations said:
You act like that would be difficult to do. Publicity is already a huge part of any game's budget. You want to get a slice, you write a nice review. Write a shit review, ads get pulled and your site is blacklisted for further ads.

That work both ways, blacklisting a major sites/magazines like gamespot, ign or PC gamer is a dumb idea for multiple reasons. Not doing business with them is bad for both parties, one loses massive publicity opportunities and the other loses potential advertisement money. And when I say the publisher loses massive publicity opportunities I'm not just talking about ads in that specific site or magazine, but also press coverage, interviews etc and as you probably know, no hype, no sales.

Threatening to blacklisting the entire internet+printed press is not only impossible, it's also a pretty dumb idea and editors aren't stupid, they know better than anyone the press need publishers as much publishers need press.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM NOT INTO VAST CONSPIRACIES AND SHIT BUT THE GAMING MEDIA NEEEDS THE GAMING COMPANIES BUSINESSS MUCH MORE THAN VICE VERSA

PROBABLY JST A CULTURAL OF FAVORS OR GETTING FUCKED AND NO ONE CARES BECAUSE GAMING JOURNALISM IS VIEWED AS THE ARTISTIC EQUIVALENT OF FINGERPAINTING BY MOST PEOPLE BROS LIKE ROGER EBERT HAVE GOT STREET CRED SO HE CAN SAY WHAT THE FUCK HE WANTS

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I agree with Blobert.

Why do people demand high standards from videogame journalism, when most of us would rather be caught dead than be doing a shitty dead end job like reviewing videogames?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Wyrmlord said:
Why do people demand high standards from videogame journalism, when most of us would rather be caught dead than be doing a shitty dead end job like reviewing videogames?
Because if videogame journalism had high standards, reviewing videogames would not be considered a dead-end job.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But that would imply the videogames were good

paradoxxx

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wyrmlord said:
I agree with Blobert.

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?p=1877
Kieron Gillen says it's a highly competitive environment full of talented people. He now writes super hero comics for adult children. Something to consider.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Wyrmlord said:
Because if videogame journalism had high standards, reviewing videogames would not be considered a dead-end job.
Gosh man, videogames are just for fun. Light hearted kiddy fun, even Fallout.

There is no point in worrying your pretty little heads about videogame criticism, as if you are critiquing the Mona Lisa. That's why these games journalism are really just PR for gaming. It's not for real.

Because no sane person would do some kind of a literary analysis of the depth of a children's hobby.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Wyrmlord said:
Mangoose said:
Wyrmlord said:

There is no point in worrying your pretty little heads about videogame criticism, as if you are critiquing the Mona Lisa. That's why these games journalism are really just PR for gaming. It's not for real.

Because no sane person would do some kind of a literary analysis of the depth of a children's hobby.
Who talked about art? Blobert mentioned Ebert, a movie reviewer - You should know, since you agreed with him.

If reviewing $50 gaming products is for "fun," then why do movie reviewers such as Ebert and Roeper get so much credit - and are demanded high standards - for reviewing the whole plethora of shitty popcorn flicks that only cost $10 to watch?

And what does literary analysis have to do with gaming? :retarded:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wyrmlord said:
Mangoose said:
Wyrmlord said:

There is no point in worrying your pretty little heads about videogame criticism, as if you are critiquing the Mona Lisa.
I don't know why you seem to be imagining that all the other forms of entertainment are something more serious and not just for fun. Yes, even Mona Lisa is just a picture for light hearted kiddy fun.

Wyrmlord said:
That's why these games journalism are really just PR for gaming. It's not for real.
Games are expensive. Very expensive. I want to know what the game is like when reading the review. It's something that 90% of game journalists, even those "critical" fails to deliver. I want to know whenever the game is something that I will have fun with or not and whenever it advances the mechanics of the genre or regresses them before spending 100-200PLN on it.

Raapys

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Mangoose said:
Wyrmlord said:

All hobbies are for fun.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Mangoose said:
Do you think Todd and Pete get to hang out with Wonder Woman? So not fair.
fallouteventoct28.jpg

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Mangoose said:
And what does literary analysis have to do with gaming? :retarded:

You obviusly havent been to gamasutra :smug:

They take David Gaider seriusly there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom