Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zeno Clash- wow, wtf IS this?

MisterStone

Arcane
HAs anyone checked out the preview stuff for this indie game that is supposed to be a FPS/3d fighter type game? It won the ModDB best upcoming indie game vote... Looks pretty f'ed up- sort of like a surreal FPS mixed with Dark Messiah. At the very least, I'll give them cred for making a nice trailer.

I sure wish someone would make a nice dungeon crawl game like Arx Fatalis or the like with Source...

Edit: art, screenies and trailer found here:

http://www.zenoclash.com/

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Man. It actually looks kind of fun. Hard to say though without actually feeling the controls. Looks like level design would be pretty important to avoid boredom. Looks pretty interesting though.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Hmm, the gameplay video I saw reminded me of an old xbox FPS called Breakdown. You could do quite a few different martial arts combos and stuff and so could most enemies who were rather good and challenging, and it was first person. Unfortunately, it had a lot of boring gunplay (auto-targeting in an FPS wtf) and shitty psychic powers so it sucked.

This game looks like it might be pretty cool though, really like the art style.

feighnt

Scholar
i've known about this one for a little while, but it's a very under-the-radar game, probably largely due to it being developed by an indie team from south america, and this is the first game they've made (as this team - they've all been involved in games in the past for other companies).

i'm really looking forward to it, and if it's bad, i'll be really disappointed :(

luckily, we *should* be able to find out relatively soon, since they're planning on releasing the game this month! believe it's getting released on Steam.

MisterStone

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Watch the gameplay videos, they are atrocious. :(

I dunno, looked like fun to me. Of course, I haven't owned an up to date machine for about six years, so I wouldn't know what to compare it with even.

catfood

AGAIN
At first I thought "WTF?? PS:T as a first person action game??" I wonder why they don't cite it as one of their influences.

So the art style is fantastic, but I'm not too sure about the combat system. It looks kinda arcade-y and those health bars look straight out of a flash game. As for the duration (which is 4-5 h acording to devs) I don't think it's such a huge deal since Portal lasted about the same length of time and I enjoyed every second of it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, it looked more like "WTF?? Flintstones a first person action game??"

feighnt

Scholar
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/959787/ze ... 30409.html

link is for a new video showing a couple of the developers showing/describing some of the combat in the game.

and, to the right, you'll see a few more videos - they were out by the time this thread was started, though i'm not sure if everyone interested knew about them or not (i've never seen them before, myself). the other videos basically involve un-narrated segments of the game, so you can get a better feel for how the game might play out.

MisterStone

Arcane
Hmm, well it sure does look nice. But the combat seems a bit stilted... the enemies are too clumsy I think. Who knows; maybe we will get to try out a demo or something when it comes out.

Xerxos

Novice
From the FAQ:

Zeno Clash is a fighting game mixed with a FPS. It is not a RPG and does not have huge explorable areas like Elderscrolls: Oblivion.

and

The game lasts from 4-5 hours in the single player campaign.

I don't think it's codex material. Just a short first person beat'em up+FPS. Nice design though.

feighnt

Scholar
xerxos: well, no, nobody's claiming it's anything than what it is (like, nobody's saying it's an rpg).

it's just an interesting looking game based around an interesting idea, and, well... this *is* the general gaming subsection, afterall.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
This game is 50% off if you buy it from Steam today.

Valve said:
Now through Friday, March 20th at 8 pm GMT, Zeno Clash will be available for 50% off its regular price

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Fuck yes I placed my pre-order for this game. I was feeling slightly bitchy about the shortness of the game, but at 8€ for such an eccentric game, I'll let it pass.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's... well, combat looks pretty standard, but fun enough. But... whoa, that art design is amazing. It sure looks awesome in a time where we only get standard high fantasy games all the time. Dunno about gameplay, but the art design is simply amazing and wonderful. Those guys have talent.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yip, also pre-ordered it. I've been following this game for a while now, I'm not sure about how the fights look but it looks eccentric and weird and interesting enough to at least warrant one play-through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom