Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zombie games need to die

baronjohn

Cipher
Zombies are really boring opponents because they lack motivation, intelligence and variation.

I know gamers' lives suck and a lot of them wish the world would end as they cry themselves to sleep every night so zombie apocalypse games provide some release for that, and the monotone repetition of zombie slaying gives them a sense of accomplishment missing from their daily burger flipping, but to us normally functioning gamers with IQ above room temperature, zombies are fucking boring.

Peter

Arcane
A realistic zombie game that focused on the survival aspect and on avoiding the zombie horde would be cool. But I agree that we could do without all these zombie games that are arcadey tongue-in-cheek gorefests.

Zombies have motivation, to eat your brains/flesh or what have you.

From time to time zombies have gotten a bit smarter, using weapons haphazardly maybe but still, some advances made by the zombies.

Fast zombies, medium jog speed zombies, slow zombies, fat zombies, skinny zombies, carrier zombies, super muscular zombies, animal zombies, vomiting/exploding zombies, rage zombies and so on, plenty of variation depending on what you're looking at.

Their motivation is eating you, which isn't very interesting but at least it isn't retarded. Also, they don't need intelligence because they're supposed to attack in numbers. They're not much different from the hordes of animals attacking you in most games, might as well complain about those.

Not sure what you mean by "no variation", but off the top of my head, I remember Left 4 Dead has several types of special zombies (that usually lead the hordes of regular ones).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zombies are ok. It's just that games about them are stupid.

So far there have been zero zombie survival games where you had to actually survive not "ololo I killed 1337 zombies". And Dead Island isn't going to be one.

Zombies are popular because they fit perfectly along with the gamepad gameplay. They are mostly slow and melee making them very easy targets to aim at on the move. For some reason they also die from bullets just like any animal or human in games even though they are... already dead.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never really was that interested in the whole zombie apocalypse thing. It's pretty banalshitboring as far as I'm concerned. Even when there's variation in zombie types, it's still just hordes of mutated humans who are all retarded and rush at your fortified machine gun nest without any tactics or regard to their own safety, only trying to overwhelm by numbers. This makes almost all zombie games become trash-mob fests without much tactical variation - enemies will always rush you in mobs, no flanking, no ranged fighting, no teamwork, just one big wild mob without any brains (hurrrr pun) going straight for the players without using tactics.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I remember them well.

Zombies in Thief were great. They were hard to kill and most of the time you couldn't. They were also well masked among simple dead bodies so it was p. much pissing your pants when you come to a dead body then think "ah it isn't a zombie", continue on your way... and then it gets up behind you, moaning.

They were really dangerous and scary.

And Thief isn't even a zombie game.

But you know - "baaaww can't kill something in an action game!"
Who will play that?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That's exactly what made Shaun of the Dead so cool. The moment the army appears the zombie menace gets grinded beneath apc's and shot to hell by slowly advancing soldiers in riot gear. Loved that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Whoever says fighting zombies requires no teamwork should try Left 4 Dead 2.
Trash said:
Zombies rock. If you don't see that you probably think interview with a vampire is cool and need to get out of that closet.
:lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Excidium said:

Teamwork in L4D2? You mean the retarded "oh shit I tripped and fell down now I need someone to come and give me a hand"?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Killing Floor on Suicidal or Hell on Earth requires teamwork. Everyone needs to do his job or they kill everyone. Seems good enough to me.

Medic not blocking FPs or healing? Dead.
Commando not getting rid of crawlers & stalkers? Dead.
Pyro not blocking Husks & debuffing other zombies? Dead.
Demo not blowing up loads of clots from afar? Dead.
Berserker not meatshielding? Dead.
Sharpshooter not taking care of scrakes and husks and FPs? Dead.
Support not killing things quickly as it gets close with his shotguns? Dead.

Especially since some critters can kill you in 2, 3 hits and there is next to no money to go around.

MikeJahn

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Excidium said:

Teamwork in L4D2? You mean the retarded "oh shit I tripped and fell down now I need someone to come and give me a hand"?

My opinion exactly in L4D I found the teamwork forced and meaningless, actually taking away from the game. The reason you needed teammates is because some zombies can pin you and you being the helpless massive chunk of health (who can survive being slammed into the ground for nearly a minute straight) can't do shit about it. That was just stupid design. As the zombies I only liked playing as the spitter cuse at least you can kill the other team outright rather than sit there watching your freak character rape the human for a minute straight .

Another one was when you'd manage to vomit on all the humans , summon a massive hoard and then watch the other team shove them to death until they could see clearly. The best result would be like 1 downed human at most and of course that that particular moment you wouldn't have a zombie out that can actually take advantage of the situation. Instead you'd have hunters whod pounce in, he'd be shoved off instantly and blown to pieces. The game is a massive nuisance.

Black

Arcane
Fuck off with your shitty generalizations.

Game with cliche zombies and cliche shooting is shit just as a game with cliche fantasy setting.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jasede said:
Oh, is Left 4 Dead some easy version of Killing Floor? Sounds boring.
It isn't.

Well, with the difficulty set on normal it is piss easy, more like a stress relief running around as a super powerful dude hitting zombies with a baseball bat...

Expert and realism is like another game. It requires teamwork, like I said. Go act like rambo and you'll die pretty quickly, even to normal zombies. Some people don't like the incapacitations but I think it adds to the tension, nothing like being pulled by a smoker in the middle of heavy rain.

MikeJahn

Educated
Excidium said:
Jasede said:
Oh, is Left 4 Dead some easy version of Killing Floor? Sounds boring.
It isn't.

Well, with the difficulty set on normal it is piss easy, more like a stress relief running around as a super powerful dude hitting zombies with a baseball bat...

Expert and realism is like another game. It requires teamwork, like I said. Go act like rambo and you'll die pretty quickly, even to normal zombies. Some people don't like the incapacitations but I think it adds to the tension, nothing like being pulled by a smoker in the middle of heavy rain.

I played versus which at least made it interesting by making special zombies be human controlled (although it makes the humans have absurd amounts of health) . When you play with the specials as AI more often than not they'll come at you one or two at a time so the difficulty becomes grinding through a level.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That's true. Their behavior is very predictable when controlled by the AI. But the objective of the game is escaping the stages alive, not fighting individual zombies, and they do a decent job on delaying the survivors.

Well anyway, I don't even like the game that much so I don't know why I got pulled into this argument. :lol:

The only zombie game I have played is All Flesh Must Be Eaten (actually, GM:ed) and I can say something's wrong these days if the player's first instinct is to kick down a locked door so they can kill the zombies on the other side. Nevermind that two of them have already nearly died from encountering a zombie in the bathroom.

CorpseZeb

Learned
MetalCraze said:

No king way! As someone earlier already wrote, on proper levels of difficulty (expert on l4d1, expert realism on l4d2) teamwork is just essential way to survive.

L4d's lower levels of difficulty are pretty disgrace to players skills, not to mention lack of pure fun.

Ps. Bit of offtopic. Lo and behold here - http://www.youtube.com/user/Zoralink47#p/u
This dude or better – Dude – Zoralink47 finished all l4d2 campaigns on expert realism – alone – yes, I mean that – alone, without bots. One m.o.f guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom