Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zombie games need to die

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:
Oh, is Left 4 Dead some easy version of Killing Floor? Sounds boring.

It's mostly about shooting zombies together. But that's pretty much where teamwork ends.

Sure you can heal each other but you may as well give medkit to your bro and he will heal himself.

CorpseZeb said:
No king way! As someone earlier already wrote, on proper levels of difficulty (expert on l4d1, expert realism on l4d2) teamwork is just essential way to survive.

Yeah I played it like that with my bros. But apart from the need to stick together to kill as many zombies as you can least they overwhelm you I saw little to none teamwork required.

The only difference between characters is their model and all they add to the team is more firepower. Provided the dude who controls one doesn't run around trying to get achievements.

Destroid

Arcane
Zombie Panic is an actually good zombie game, the zombies are controlled by humans. Scarcity is a key element in the game (you start with crappy pistols and little ammo, with random spawn locations for better weapons) and the more gear you carry, the slower you go. Each round starts with 1-3 zombies (1 super) and everyone else humans. Each time a human is killed, they join the zombie team. For survival mode the zombies have limited lives, on objective maps the zombies lives are unlimited.

JarlFrank said:
I never really was that interested in the whole zombie apocalypse thing. It's pretty banalshitboring as far as I'm concerned. Even when there's variation in zombie types, it's still just hordes of mutated humans who are all retarded and rush at your fortified machine gun nest without any tactics or regard to their own safety, only trying to overwhelm by numbers. This makes almost all zombie games become trash-mob fests without much tactical variation - enemies will always rush you in mobs, no flanking, no ranged fighting, no teamwork, just one big wild mob without any brains (hurrrr pun) going straight for the players without using tactics.

But they attack in hordes, you don't need tactics when you outnumber the enemy 100 to 1. In theory, the player is the one who would have to use l337 tactics to deal with such a threat. A shame the way to deal with zombies is usually "There's a lot of them! Shoot faster" instead of "There's a lot of them! Holy shit - let's fall back and think of a plan".

Peter

Arcane
Destroid said:
Then it becomes more of a puzzle or tactical game than an action game.

I think the whole point of this thread is that a lot of people would like to see something more tactical than the zombie games out nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom