Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware ZTranslate - a universal game translation tool

Codex Year of the Donut
https://ztranslate.net/
How it works
ZTranslate translates games based on screen grabs on the user's machine, in either package mode, or automatic mode. In automatic mode, when the user presses the tilde key (~) the client grabs a screenshot of the current window in focus, sends the image to the ZTranslate server, and then waits to recieve the translated image back to display in ZTranslate window. The server does this by doing a generalized OCR algorithm, and then using machine translation to translate the OCRed text to the target language (both via google apis).

These two actions can be slow and inaccurate, so the image sent to the server is saved, where the user can modify and improve the translation, and eventually release a packaged translation. In package mode, a user loads a pre-made package, and then the client will continuously grab the window in focus and translate the image based on the package. This mode runs much faster than automatic mode (allowing continous grabbing), doesn't require making calls to the server, and uses a currated human translation instead of a machine one. Packages themselves can be made public for other users to download from the downloads page on this site, or they can just distribute it themselves whichever way they want.

Creating a package for a game yourself first starts with the sourcing step, where you grab images from the game while in automatic mode in the ZTranslate client. After that, you create a game page for the game, move the images you sourced from the (uncategorized) game to the new game page, create the index definitions, and fix the translations. When you're done, set the game to be public on the edit game page, or download the package to distribute it yourself.

Has anyone used this? Experiences?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Machine translation problems:
-Story/dialogue will not make sense
-Menus should be learned because you can apply it universally to other games.
-Will cost you money in the long run

If you want to try a game in a different language i guess they can be worth a try.

deuxhero

Arcane
Wonderbar already solves the issue of trying to reimplement translated text, so I'm not sure what the point of this is.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It would be quite useful if it works. There's a few text adventures in non-English languages that I would like to play someday, e.g. Die Drachen von Laas, an RPG/text-adventure hybrid from the authors of the Realms of Arkania series. My German is a bit rusty so this would definitely help -- easier than typing in the text or words into Google translate.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It would be quite useful if it works. There's a few text adventures in non-English languages that I would like to play someday, e.g. Die Drachen von Laas, an RPG/text-adventure hybrid from the authors of the Realms of Arkania series. My German is a bit rusty so this would definitely help -- easier than typing in the text or words into Google translate.
It does as long as you have it on a SSD, since it works too slowly on a regular HD. I would say its not wise to play a text adventure, but it does run in two windows, the game itself and a window with the translated text. You'd still need to learn the verbs yourself. Might also be tricky with nouns if its one of those games that hides them. It does happen, and in games you don't fully understand, its gamestopping.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It does as long as you have it on a SSD, since it works too slowly on a regular HD. I would say its not wise to play a text adventure, but it does run in two windows, the game itself and a window with the translated text. You'd still need to learn the verbs yourself. Might also be tricky with nouns if its one of those games that hides them. It does happen, and in games you don't fully understand, its gamestopping.

Yeah, I'd really like to play some of those German-only text adventures, but I don't feel like brushing up on my German... This is the basic conflict I am facing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom