Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A KotOR game to be developed by BioWare

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92630

kotoroo9.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bioware will make another emo-fag-storyline dumbed-down "RPG" about you saving the universe from another terrible generic villain!
yay!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
skyway said:
Bioware will make another emo-fag-storyline dumbed-down "RPG" about you saving the universe from another terrible generic villain!
yay!
I really hope it will be some sort of a spin-off and won't be directly related to TSL. MCA's pain will leave an echo in the Force if BioWare tries to finish the Exile's story with some sort of cliched save-the-world bullshit.

afewhours

Scholar
Gawd, and here I was hoping MCA would get the chance to further drive KOTOR into bizzaro territory.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Fuck! I was hoping Obsidian would get to do it. But maybe that KotOR game is an MMO... and Obsidian is working on KotOR3... ehh, just wishful thinking. This sucks!

Raapys

Arcane
It'll probably be a perfectly playable and decent game, so I don't see what all the whining's about. And I don't really see what was so 'dumbed down' about the two previous Kotors. They had your basic attributes, feats and spells, just like most other RPGs, and one of them even had two endings(!) if I remember correctly. One which let you kill your the very party members you'd been forced to drag around for the entire game. Very satisfying.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Raapys said:
It'll probably be a perfectly playable and decent game, so I don't see what all the whining's about. And I don't really see what was so 'dumbed down' about the two previous Kotors. They had your basic attributes, feats and spells, just like most other RPGs, and one of them even had two endings(!) if I remember correctly. One which let you kill your the very party members you'd been forced to drag around for the entire game. Very satisfying.
The whining is about raping TSL's style and attitude, which we are likely to see.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Meanwhile, Pandemic is working on another LotR game

Why do I mention that? Well think about it. BioWare and Pandemic get purchased by EA. We're assured all around that this won't infringe on their creativity and assured by EA that they learned not to treat purchased studios as money pumping machines.

The next step? Both studios are announced to make a game based on a film property

:roll:

Not that we should be surprised, but hello EA's publishing methods. We missed you.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I would still love to see another Kotor, developed preferentially by Bioware. Besides Obsidian, there's nobody else out there who could do it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lestat said:
I really hope it will be some sort of a spin-off and won't be directly related to TSL. MCA's pain will leave an echo in the Force if BioWare tries to finish the Exile's story with some sort of cliched save-the-world bullshit.

what was the last game by Bioware where you did not have to save the universe?

also

fastpunk said:
Fuck! I was hoping Obsidian would get to do it. But maybe that KotOR game is an MMO... and Obsidian is working on KotOR3... ehh, just wishful thinking. This sucks!

that was my another thought...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"what was the last game by Bioware where you did not have to save the universe? "

Jade Empire.

MetalCraze

Arcane
oh really?

what was the plotline?
evil grandpa got the ultimate power and was so evil - and you, betrayed, decided to stop him and... GUESS WHAT - saved the world!
fucking again.

mjorkerina

Scholar
skyway said:
what was the last game by Bioware where you did not have to save the universe?

You didn't quite save the world in BG2 and ToB. You saved some elven ass in SoA but it was purely a side effect of your own quest to survive and in Throne of Bhaal you can't prevent the mass killing of all the child of bhaal even the "good" aligned ones, in the end even if melissane were to get the essence of bhaal it wouldn't mean the end of the world, just the birth of a new god and gods in d&d can't go much by themselves so hypothetically speaking even if there was a bad end where you got your ass violated by melissane it's not like it were going to bring doom to anything in the world.

MetalCraze

Arcane
that was 7+ years ago

let's look at the postBG2 bioware

NWN - saving the world
NWN xp1 - saving the world
NWN xp2 - saving the world
KotOR1 - saving the world
Jade Empire - saving the world
Mass Effect - saving the world

do you believe that Bioware will let us do something else?
and apparently EA/LucasArts fanboys just love to save the world.

Andhaira

Arcane
Yus! I hope thjis is happening, and I hope they use the Starwars SAGA ruleset from wotc. (the last two games were powered by the d20 starwars ruleset form wotc, with some modifications, namely force powers)

Also, this time I hope we get to make a party...though knowing its bioware its wishful thinking. Also, this time Ihope we have multiple classes, instead of just Jedi.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN - saving the world: nope
NWN xp1 - saving the world: nope
NWN xp2 - saving the world: kinda
KotOR1 - saving the world: yup
Jade Empire - saving the world: nope
Mass Effect - saving the world: yup

Please don't lie.

The Exar

Liturgist
Raapys said:
I don't remember saving the world in Kotor1.

In SW every time a Sith Lord is killed the universe is saved from a great evil. I remember killing Malak. So I saved it.

And don't say you mean the Dark Side ending - it's not official.

dragonfk

Erudite
Bioware in their games not always forces us to "save the world", but it always is "saving something". Saving the city of Neverwinter(same thing for expansions), saving the world in Jade Empire, saving the Galaxy from Star Forge and its Sith Lord. All of these games force you to play the role of hero who saves the day.

But hey, what do you expect? There are only few cRPGs not about "saving something from someone/something" (to be honest now I recall only one such game: PT). It seems that developers think that their projects should be epic and is there more epic quest than the quest of saving the world? Or maybe they just create their games for the mainstream audience, which expects them to be about fighting for the sake of the world. Otherwise they feel unsatisfied.

dragonfk

Erudite
Raapys said:
O_O

How could it not be official?

Have you played KOTOR 2? From what I recall it is suggested in the beggining how KOTOR should have ended( though you can change it through dialog with Atton).

PS.

Remember that if the dark path was official then how the hell Carl Onasi(I may have mispelled his name) was alive in KOTOR 2?( picking dark path means killing your followers in KOTOR)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom