Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A KotOR game to be developed by BioWare

AlanC9

Liturgist
Volourn said:
KotOR1 - saving the world: yup

Only if you choose to save it, so even K1 is optional. Pity TSL retconned this choice into meaninglessness.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
dragonfk said:
There are only few cRPGs not about "saving something from someone/something" (to be honest now I recall only one such game: PT).
Mask of the Betrayer too.

Raapys

Arcane
dragonfk said:
Raapys said:
O_O

How could it not be official?

Have you played KOTOR 2? From what I recall it is suggested in the beggining how KOTOR should have ended( though you can change it through dialog with Atton).

PS.

Remember that if the dark path was official then how the hell Carl Onasi(I may have mispelled his name) was alive in KOTOR 2?( picking dark path means killing your followers in KOTOR)

This is from Starwars wiki ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carth_Onasi )

If the player decides to reassume the title of Dark Lord of the Sith via the non-canonical ending of the game, Carth flees away in terror when he is told of the change on Lehon. Consequently, he does not appear in the sequel if the player says that Revan followed the dark side, being replaced by Admiral Cede. With the Ebon Hawk gone, Carth's only conceivable means of escape would be Bastila's shuttle as it is not used in this ending.[2]

So you're right that it's non-canonical, but it appears that they've actually taken into consideration the possibility that the player might have taken the dark side in the previous game. Quite neat, actually.

dragonfk

Erudite
Ander Vinz said:
dragonfk said:
There are only few cRPGs not about "saving something from someone/something" (to be honest now I recall only one such game: PT).
Mask of the Betrayer too.

Unfortunately I havent got an oppurtunity to play the expansion yet, I am still trying to gather my strenght to finish NWN2 OC with my bard(beggining of third Act).

Raapys said:
So you're right that it's non-canonical, but it appears that they've actually taken into consideration the possibility that the player might have taken the dark side in the previous game. Quite neat, actually.

Whoops, my mistake. Its because I was on the good side of the Force in KOTOR 2 :) . I am waiting for team gizka RP to execute my Dark Sith playthrough.

No! It must be a lie! NOOOOOO!!!!! I don't believe it.

<sobs>

But perhaps, perhaps Chris Avellone is working on it as a guest lead designer. :|

Yes, that must be true.

But seriously, Kreia is to Kotor what Timothy Dalton was to Bond. There just ain't no going back. I'm feeling really weird thinking about how Bioware would handle it.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
dragonfk said:
I am still trying to gather my strenght to finish NWN2 OC with my bard(beggining of third Act).
I made the same mistake. It wasn't worth the time I spent.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It's nothing wrong with saving some kind of world if done in style. Vast majority of rpgs does this. Proble is that Bioware has non. They just recycle already well know tired cliches.

Ausir

Arcane
In SW every time a Sith Lord is killed the universe is saved from a great evil. I remember killing Malak. So I saved it.

And don't say you mean the Dark Side ending - it's not official.

The light side ending is always official in every Star Wars game. That's enforced by LucasArts.

Raapys

Arcane
It would be refreshing, though, to have an RPG where you really were on the other side( not just as an alternate path/ending ). I'm sure there must be some of them out there, but I can't say I recall any right now.

mjorkerina

Scholar
The only game that comes to my mind is Dungeon Keeper and it's not a RPG.
I'd love a cRPG where you are the demon in charge of invading human cities.

denizsi

Arcane
The light side ending is always official in every Star Wars game. That's enforced by LucasArts.

Playing Anakin in SW Episode 3 the game :)

Though it was nice that you still could end the original Jedi Knight as the new sith lord, though it had absolutely no impact on the game play. I miss the quality FMVs.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
NWN - saving the world: nope
the elder race is awakening to come and wreck havoc upon the world.
and you stop them.

NWN xp1 - saving the world: nope
some witch uncovers the old city... to come and wreck havoc upon the world
and you stop her

NWN xp2 - saving the world: kinda
kinda? so you're calling saving the world from the devil who came to destroy it - kinda?

KotOR1 - saving the world: yup
can't believe you agreed

Jade Empire - saving the world: nope
so saving the world from the horrible dictator-bastard who plays wicked games with people is not saving the world?

Mass Effect - saving the world: yup
well I'm not surprised you agreed here. because even in Mass Effect's interviews Bioware told us that we will epicly save the world from the robots.

Please don't lie.
if only I did

by the world I mean gameworld. of course it's obvious that no villain can be a danger to the whole possible endless universe

also. it seems rpg devs are running out of steam.
with Bioware it's always saving the world
with Obsidian it's either saving the world or saving yourself (which is not over-used. yet)
Just make an rpg where everyone will save the world from horrible you already...

Shagnak

Shagadelic
We need an RPG where you have to destroy the world.

Then you and your companions can get all emo about all the innocents you have to inadvertently destroy in the process, and console each other with sweet alien sex.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And don't say you mean the Dark Side ending - it's not official."

Whether somehting is canon or not should be irrlevant to the disucssion because we are talking about what the player cna or cnanot do in the game.

And, yeah, good point people. You don't have to 'save' anything in KOTOR. Or JE for that matter. Or the NWN2 expansion. In fcat, in those 3, you can be the threat. Heck, even in ME, while the goal to stop the Sorveign is always there, you cna be just as dangerous as he.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
BioWare denies the rumors!
James Henley said:
To quote from the Off Topic boards, where this was already addressed:
Chris Priestly said:
Hi folks

This seems to be much ado about nothing (to quote the bard). This was a slide that EA used to show the pedigree of the different studios to investors. That is why you see games that have already been released (like KotOR, Black, Boogie and others) mentioned on the slide.

Now that we all know what this is, the thread can be closed. Thanks.

LOCKDOWN!

:evil:
OK, another question: why would they list DA and the MMO there? Almost nothing is known about those projects.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shagnak said:
We need an RPG where you have to destroy the world.

Then you and your companions can get all emo about all the innocents you have to inadvertently destroy in the process, and console each other with sweet alien sex.
that sounds like a good concept to start with. It'd be great if the player got a nice form of justification for doing so instead of 'mwahahahaaahh i am bad dude *twirl mustache*' kind. He needs to beaten, stripped and kicked to the curb till the last inch of his virtual breath then without the narration pushing him, he will stare hard at the monitor and exclaim 'Fuck this I want my revenge dammit REVENGE!' and start his grand quest of revenge.

Plot flowchart:
hero is a nobody > hero becomes somebody, plays too nice > the world is not nice, bad others plot against him > hero becomes nobody. Even lower. >hero doesn't play nice, becomes villain > megalomania

The satisfaction of collar grabbing the bloodied face of that guy who kicked you on the curb and spat at you (I want a bitch slap minigame ala Black & White pet beatdown).....and then having a choice whether to give him a quick or slow death...while he begs for mercy n forgiveness. Till you cut his tongue and beat him on the curb. Only this time you finish the job. Fireball or Beheading or Bleed to death.

Sweeet. And ofcourse the pitiful cries of your followers, 'isn't this enough?' 'is this worth it?' Mmmmm more collar grabbing persuasion and dagger on the throat negotiations. Fear/Trust hidden follower meters. Sweet.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"And don't say you mean the Dark Side ending - it's not official."

Whether somehting is canon or not should be irrlevant to the disucssion because we are talking about what the player cna or cnanot do in the game.

And, yeah, good point people. You don't have to 'save' anything in KOTOR. Or JE for that matter. Or the NWN2 expansion. In fcat, in those 3, you can be the threat. Heck, even in ME, while the goal to stop the Sorveign is always there, you cna be just as dangerous as he.

Not really. The most evil things you can do as Commander Shepherd is kill the inhabitants of a small colony who were already trying to kill you, or punch a female news reporter in the face on live television.

Sovereign, on the other hand...
Is one big motherfucker that is a member of big living starships that wipe out all most all life every 50,000 years or so. He can also mind fuck anybody that comes near him and force them to do terrible things, like he did with Saren.

Anyway, like others have already said, I too would prefer if Obsidian made KOTOR 3. Avellone's writing ftw.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Not really. The most evil things you can do as Commander Shepherd is kill the inhabitants of a small colony who were already trying to kill you, or punch a female news reporter in the face on live television."

You obviously didn't play the game then. Play it then come back to the conversation.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Volourn said:
You obviously didn't play the game then. Play it then come back to the conversation.

I have played it. The most evil thing I was ever allowed to do was kill about 15 colonists on Feros that were being controlled by the thorian instead of knocking them out with gas grenades. Other than that, shooting the occasional person in the face were the only truly evil things I could do. Unless there were some side-quests I missed that allow you to do some pretty nasty things, you can't make Shepherd "just as bad as Sovereign".

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
boo fucking hoo you can't totally be the embodiment of absolute fucking evil , take mini-me and go cry in the corner. I really can't understand you guys it must be Bioware SUCKZZ ! and Obsidian RULEZZ or vice versa. Bioware has developed a couple of games with KOTOR being one of them, it's not a fucking masterpiece but it was a fun game, and showing such hate for it is absolutely insane.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
ghostdog said:
Bioware has developed a couple of games with KOTOR being one of them, it's not a fucking masterpiece but it was a fun game, and showing such hate for it is absolutely insane.
I don't hate KotOR. I don't care about it at all. I simply don't want to see TSL's storyline, which obviously wasn't concluded, to be raped by BioWare's cliched writing. It's like if Chris Columbus filmed a sequel to a Terry Gilliam's movie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom