Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol dialogue video

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Funny to hear that from a guy who doesn't like anything.

Maybe I'm too old for a next-gen world where classics are considered 'next-gen' and bitching about everything, anytime, anywhere is a sign of good taste.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Funny to hear that from a guy who doesn't like anything.
*sigh* Come on. This is getting old. You can do better than that.

Maybe I'm too old for a next-gen world where classics are considered 'next-gen' and bitching about everything, anytime, anywhere is a sign of good taste.
NOLF2 is considered classics now? :shock:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
NOLF2 is considered classics now? :shock:

Uh, yes? Somehow you don't have trouble calling Deus Ex a classic while it's only two years older. Same as the people calling Arcanum and Wiz8 classics, while they are a year older than nolf2. Plus, it's a classic of the fps/rpg hybrid genre just like System Shock 2 and DX.

Also, why the fuck am I responding to you again?

Turok

Erudite
It´s look nice but not spectacular, not sure if i am too old for this but i will keep waiting for the next post of the chultru game, i found more nice those games that the actual ones.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's definitely not 'next-gen' either. But I suppose that's the division in the next-gen Skywayland - either something is a classic (nothing) or next-gen (which means it sucks - everything).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
wheels_skyway_graphite2.jpg
Skyway-sidebar-footer.jpg
wdw_history_skyway_022506.jpg

Skyway1.jpg
sky88cat.jpg
I94--Skyway-1.jpg

Skyway.png
Skyway_Cup_465.jpg
22nat_skyway,0.jpg

We love you, man. You are everywhere.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Once again skyway proves that his opinions suck and should not be considered. They are like next gen shit with too much bloom and shit.

Solivagant

Novice
I was expecting a "headbutt" option to appear when Thorton's talking to the chick on the PDA-looking thing.

denizsi

Arcane
As far middle-east and RPGs go, an RPG similar to the tone and pacing of the movie Syriana with some influence from the movie Rendition, would have been perfect.

On NOLF2: I rarely played it the run&gun style, so maybe it would be pretty boring experience playing it like that all that way. I don't know. But playing it sneaking-oriented was a pretty memorable experience, beside some of the levels and scripted scenes that were also memorable in itself. NOLF2 didn't have the same quality of humour as NOLF, though. Still, I'd call it a classic.

Silellak

Cipher
Gnidrologist said:
Once again skyway proves that his opinions suck and should not be considered. They are like next gen shit with too much bloom and shit.

Actually, hating on everything made past the year 2001 or so does seem to be the "cool" thing to do these days, so I guess Skyway's opinions ARE pretty next-gen. Hardcore, man. Hardcore.

Sub-question: When does "next-gen" become "this-gen"? Stupid fucking senseless buzzwords.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I enjoyed playing No One Lives Forever 2 when I was 11, but god damn, that game had a few problems.

Do you guys even realize the respawn in that game was absolutely nonsensical? Respawn as in right in front of your eyes? One alarm goes off, and they are going to come in endlessly, until you hide in some toilet or whatsoever, and then go over it again.

Also, the game was praised for AI, but the AI was a little stilted and probably at the level of Deus Ex. Now I wouldn't say Deus Ex has good or bad AI, but it's more of the level design rather than the AI that makes the game so intelligent. NOLF2, IIRC, was just a set of linear set pieces.

People; just play NOLF2 again, and see if you enjoy it as much as you did seven years ago.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
Actually, hating on everything made past the year 2001 or so does seem to be the "cool" thing to do these days
In the moron's eyes I suppose yes.
Because for the next-gen crowd it is hard to imagine that games can be crap and they can be omg disliked no matter their time. Preposterous!

so I guess Skyway's opinions ARE pretty next-gen. Hardcore, man. Hardcore.
So next-gen or hardcore? Those two terms can't be used to describe the same thing.
I also happen to hate absolutely all games as it appears, so don't forget about that when you baww about "past 2001".

denizsi said:
As far middle-east and RPGs go, an RPG similar to the tone and pacing of the movie Syriana with some influence from the movie Rendition, would have been perfect.

Yes but this is Obsidian and a game "for 15 years olds". Do not expect something intellectual from a shooter with wall-hack and EXTREME main character.

bat_boro

Arcane
Oh, look, skyway is bashing Obsidian and Alpha Protocol for the 1010101010101 time
What a surprise :roll:

luckyb0y

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
Also, the game was praised for AI, but the AI was a little stilted and probably at the level of Deus Ex. Now I wouldn't say Deus Ex has good or bad AI, but it's more of the level design rather than the AI that makes the game so intelligent. NOLF2, IIRC, was just a set of linear set pieces.

Deus Ex had extremely shitty AI. Once you're spotted NPCs just run towards you blazing away. Once they are close they start to strafe which considering the awful animation looks fucking hilarious. That's why I always play the game stealthy. Combat is shit.

kris

Arcane
I feel I might enjoy this game. But it is hard to tell since most been about combat and it is hard to know what conversation will really pertain. also I would like to know how big areas are and what options there are in every place. I really don't like tunnel vision in my games unless it is called Golden axe.

kris

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Alpha Protocol has every boring location of the over-used "modern world setting" that you can find in many other shooters:
Moscow - check
Middle-East - check
China - check
USA - check

My god - I can't wait when I will put my feet on the Iraq soil and fight terrorists for the 10000th time. Obsidian's setting is so refreshing.

Of the ones you mentioned only one is specified. While I don't doubt that all places may be city bound there is no limit to the great avenues you can find in such areas as USA, China and the middle-east. I can't remember I ever played any game were I ventured into Moscow either so that feels fresh too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom