Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An ex-1up editor is playing Mass Effect and...

cutterjohn

Cipher
skyway said:
so it's basically a 3rd person shooter with some small rpg elements? and "GRAW" like? ... nothing surprising there.
also notice how he jeezing all over his room when he talks about graphics.
Wow! Am I ever shocked.

Texas Red

Whiner
So he works for Microsoft and reviews a game by Microsoft?

Then again most reviewers are idiots and they once they see the graphics, they forget everything else.

Nael

Arcane
Thankfully this is only being released on the Xbox360. How many people here actually give a shit about an "RPG" for console only?

Deleted member 7219

Nael said:
Thankfully this is only being released on the Xbox360. How many people here actually give a shit about an "RPG" for console only?

It'll be released on PC eventually, just like KOTOR, KOTOR 2 and JE.

I'll probably pick it up when it does really only because of the 'Bioware' logo on the box.

Mamon

Scholar
I don´t know what is his work at Microsoft. But everyone on GAF know he works there.

denizsi

Arcane
Honestly, the game does seem like it might be enjoyable and worthwhile regardless of its RPG-ness, so I'd probably be interested in a PC version. Either way, it's best to wait for a comprehensive review.

Nael

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Nael said:

It'll be released on PC eventually, just like KOTOR, KOTOR 2 and JE.

You're more than likely correct, but I consider Bioware, as "cRPG" developers to be traitors along with Bethesda and several other developers who suck the teet of Microshaft and it's slutty little Xbox. If it wasn't for the PC gamers none of those shitheads would still be in busines (including Microsoft imo).

We should ship em all to Japan and commence with the giant robot invasion already.

TheLostOne

Savant
Cassidy said:
If it was PC FPS with RPG elements like Deus Ex 1 or System Shock 2 and if they didn't lie claiming it was a RPG I would think about buying it.

A rose by any other name...?

I understand the desire for more old-school quality rpgs, but they've called it an action rpg from the start.

Who cares what they call it. The genre is being raped by far worse things than Mass Effect. If piece of shit titles like BG:DA and BOS can carry an action rpg label, why not ME?

Xi

Arcane
TheLostOne said:
There are different kinds of immersion.

A great story and dialogue can give you one kind, which is completely different from the kind of visual immersion a well designed action shooter provides.

Visual immersion requires less imagination and is usually less rewarding, but it can still be immersive.

Don't be dense.

The immersion practically gave that man an orgasm even when he wasn't playing the game! His keyboard must have felt like some type of sex organ because he was at the point of ejaculation when he wrote that. He's most likely going to realize, once she gets pregnant, that it wasn't worth it in the end. Unfortunately this feeling won't set in for years because that's how immersion works. It keeps you addicted to the verge of insanity.

Yes, let's not be dense.

TheLostOne

Savant
If your point is that his posts sound suspiciously like hype-speak, I agree. I was just saying the you can have immersion in a shooter style game. Now this style of game isn't always appropriate (F3?), but when it is and it's done well you can definately feel immersed in a shooter.

The guy may be speaking in hyperbole, but you can still infer some good facts about the game from his post without jumping into the lemming line behind him.

Personally, I think it's going to be a pretty fun game. Nothing revolutionary, but fun nonetheless.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
It sounds like it could be worth a shot. I really don't mind the FPS part since I enjoy the occassional FPS.

How about the non-linearity and choices and concequences? That's the real deal breaker.

dagorkan

Arbiter
pkt-zer0 said:
Oh, wow, a TPS masquerading as an RPG! With pretty graphics, too! *drools*

Don't get me started on this, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.
Wow I'll be honest here. I think this is truly the top competitor for game of the year. I mean listen, the game plays like Gears of War, but actualy is an RPG with next gen dialogue! So cant wait.

Xi

Arcane
TheLostOne said:
Personally, I think it's going to be a pretty fun game. Nothing revolutionary, but fun nonetheless.

It just digs its fangs deeper into the RPG world and continues to suck every ounce of blood that it has left. I'm sure there's some dry sucking going on at this point though. The RPG is a meatless bone of a genre these days.

I have an idea! Lets replace RPG mechanics with FPS mechanics!

Texas Red

Whiner
Ivy Mike said:
It sounds like it could be worth a shot. I really don't mind the FPS part since I enjoy the occassional FPS.

How about the non-linearity and choices and concequences? That's the real deal breaker.

It will probably handle it the way KotOR did. You get to choose sides in the middle and in the end there is some incosequential choise whether to kill the villain(evil robot wizard, or with psi powers, overlord). Probably a few ones for your companions.

The thing that bothers me about Bioware game is that there is basically no need for you to control you character. If you can play only evil or good then why not just give players an option of having Shepard say and do everything bad or good on his own? All the information gathering could be done automatically as well, with Shepard asking questions without you manually selecting them. This would probably attract those unwashed FPSers as well.

Joe Krow

Erudite
There's nothing wrong with good graphics. The most shallow action rpg and the deepest oldskool could look identical on the surface. The problem is with the underlying mechanics. Rpg combat has shifted from complex strategy to easy action because everyone wants to be entertained but only a small percentage enjoy a challenge. Developers know this and try to make the most accessible game possible. Most people are idiots thus most games are dumb. End of story.

TheLostOne

Savant
The problem with that concept is that strategic combat really isn't the core of rpg's. The D&D variations sure, but as a whole not really. The truth is, Fallout has more in common with X-Com than it does with other rpg games as far as combat goes. I love tactical games. That's part of why I love Fallout. An RPG doesn't have to be tactical to be an rpg.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"it's basically a 3rd person shooter"

Wrong. It's an Action RPG.

"thing that bothers me about Bioware game is that there is basically no need for you to control you character. If you can play only evil or good then why not just give players an option of having Shepard say and do everything bad or good on his own? All the information gathering could be done automatically as well, with Shepard asking questions without you manually selecting them. This would probably attract those unwashed FPSers as well."

Complete, and utter bullshit. BIO games are more than just choosing good vs evil options. There are often shades of grey, and more than one wya to do things 'good' or 'evil'. The trial in KOTOR, the multiple ways to deal with the tournament storyline in JE, handling the Harpers in Jaheria's plotline in BG2, etc., etc. There are TONS of examples as well.

"If it was PC FPS with RPG elements like Deus Ex 1 or System Shock 2 and if they didn't lie claiming it was a RPG I would think about buying it."

Except they
re not lying. It's an ACTION RPg with some shooter elements. Action RPG. Can Codexers say that? It's no different than BL in that regard. Just because it has guins doens't mean it's a shooter, people.

"If piece of shit titles like BG:DA and BOS can carry an action rpg label, why not ME?"

I like BGDA. It's a fun game. But, I kinda agree. BGDA is an Action game through, and through. ME is what a true Action RPG should be like - same as JE, BL, and G3 which are true blue exmaples of Action RPGs.

"You're more than likely correct, but I consider Bioware, as "cRPG" developers to be traitors"

Who the fuck did they betray? Not you as you were never loyal to them.

NEWSFLASH; Bio's first game wasn't even a RPG.

P.S. The save thing seems like a waste of effort on their part, imo.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Volourn said:
Wrong. It's an Action RPG.

Despite a guy who's actually played the game saying otherwise? Sure, it's an "action RPG", the same way Oblivion is. Both excellent games, indeed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
BIO employees has played the game way more than him, and they've called it an Action RPG (w/shooter elements). I trust their word more than some random punk who wporks for MS and who slobbers over graphics.

Plus, ME has everything required of an Action RPG (both real time action style combat and actual role-playing). Just like other true Action RPGs like JE, BL, and G3.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Volourn said:
BIO employees has played the game way more than him, and they've called it an Action RPG (w/shooter elements). I trust their word more than some random punk who wporks for MS and who slobbers over graphics.

Replace "MS" with "EA" and there's not much of a difference. Except that developers are more likely to hype (read: "lie about") their own game, perhaps.

Volourn said:
Plus, ME has everything required of an Action RPG (both real time action style combat and actual role-playing). Just like other true Action RPGs like JE, BL, and G3.
Yeah, except previews seem to be suggesting the game's pretty low on the roleplaying content. Not likely you'd agree on that, I wager, considering your readily apparent Bioware fanboyism, but whatever.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And I will say this, it looks to be a damn good Action RPG too. Might pick up an used X-Box for this in half a decade. (Yes, I am slow. I am poor, bite me.)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Replace "MS" with "EA" and there's not much of a difference. Except that developers are more likely to hype (read: "lie about") their own game, perhaps."

Perhaps, more likely, the developers would actually know what type of game they've been working on for the last few years than the publisher(s). L0L

"Yeah, except previews seem to be suggesting the game's pretty low on the roleplaying content. Not likely you'd agree on that, I wager, considering your readily apparent Bioware fanboyism, but whatever."

Thanks for admitting that you, and the foll are wrong. It's an Action RPG. I don't reallyc are if you believe it's a shitty one or not. Your (and my opinion) on ME's perceived quality is irrelevant. That wans't even the argument.

The point is, is that it is an Action RPG; not a Shooter.

Case closed.

Gwendo

Augur
Can any of you recall a shooter that allowed you to play in a dark or light side? A shooter with 2500000 words of dialogue? A shooter that encourages you to explore new worlds, cultures and people?

If you want to call it an Action RPG, I agree with you. Calling it a shooter, just because of the battle system... Well, that's bordering fanatism. It would be like calling The Witcher a simple click-fest.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Gwendo said:
Can any of you recall a shooter that allowed you to play in a dark or light side?
It's almost as if the Jedi Knight games never happened.

Gwendo said:
A shooter with 2500000 words of dialogue? A shooter that encourages you to explore new worlds, cultures and people?
That's in-depth exploration of people and dialogue alright. :P

Gwendo said:
If you want to call it an Action RPG, I agree with you. Calling it a shooter, just because of the battle system...

What aspect of the game would "shooter" refer to, if not the battle system?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Exactly what is a shooter? A game with guns that you shoot with? When I think shooter , I think of games like COD; not BL. And, most definitely not ME.

It's an Action RPG. Action because of the real time combat that player skill plays a part in, and RPG because characetr skill does matter in both combat and otherwise along with C&C, role-playing, and menaingful interaction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom