Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An ex-1up editor is playing Mass Effect and...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wish you guys would jerk off over MotB as much as over the Witcher, for the sake of balance.

TheLostOne

Savant
Jasede said:
I wish you guys would jerk off over MotB as much as over the Witcher, for the sake of balance.

Shut up, J. I'd like to play MotB, but my copy of NWN 2 was stolen with my laptop and I wasn't ready to buy that POS again just for an expansion. Might when funds balance out.

Sorry the naked cards weren't of elephants and shit, but you can't make a game for everyone. FFS it was a good game. Stop crying that other people like it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am not crying, I am just curious- is it a better game than MotB? So many seem to yak about how good The Witcher is, but the Codex MotB praise came suddenly and went faster. No one is mentioning the game anymore, everyone talks about The Witcher. I am curious if it's really better or if it's just all the Polish viral marketers that infested the Codex. ;)

Of course maybe that smilie is not warranted. I have yet to see a Polish poster not praise this game and bring it up on every occasion. Eh, I'll just assume it's that good, but all this enthusiasm seems weird and uncodexian and hence is prone to make me suspicious. In Ultima 8, the treasures that seemed the best were always trapped.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Depends on what you're looking for. I've got MotB installed but I'm having trouble building up enough motivation to load up the game at the moment, maybe all that hours spent experimenting with new chars on the OC burned me out. Epic combat seems very dull, and seeing both aurora engine implementation side to side...I am really slanted to CDP for making better environments.

Take your pick. Traditional D&D Epic Campaign with C&C or Action RPG with C&C that has less emphasis on non-combat skills.

WalterKinde

Scholar
So when not looked at as a RPG, Mass Effect could be good game.Can we all agree it has RPG Lite elements?
Like say GTA:San Andreas (I hope nobody is going to call THAT a Rpg) or the Jedi Knight Series.
Its a shame both this and Fallout 3 have a good chance of winning RPG of the Year for their respective Years.
The ability to hop/travel from Planet to Planet/Star System to Star System reminds me of the Elite Series or Freelancer :)
I could just look at it as Elite/Frontier/Frontier First Encounters or Freelancer with Expanded game play i guess the ability to leave the ship and do whatever on planet, whether its lead a squad etc.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'd still play it to play Mako-Chan! Does this game have sex cards too?

On a more serious note: Why not play it? I'm sure you all are entitled to vote with your dollars, but heck, I'll take the polished PC Version in a year or two time. I'm sure by then we'll be too busy filling page 1 of the forum thread with Fallout 3 for Mass Effect to feel so 'offensive'.

It's their own IP, let them do it however they want. It's just the reviewer's or in this case previewer's hype words that pisses us off, no?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Hell, I'll play it and more than likely enjoy it.
Though I hate how Sci-fi games (and movies) always seem to assume that an entire planet is made up of *one* type environment (all forest, all desert e.t.c)
As for the RPG elements of the game...I'll reserve my jugement until I have played it. The thing that concerns me the most is the dialogue system, though the feedback on it has been overwhelmingly positive.
Anyway, I just hope I manage to finish The Witcher and MoTB before then...

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Jasede said:
I am not crying, I am just curious- is it a better game than MotB? So many seem to yak about how good The Witcher is, but the Codex MotB praise came suddenly and went faster. No one is mentioning the game anymore, everyone talks about The Witcher. I am curious if it's really better or if it's just all the Polish viral marketers that infested the Codex. ;)

Of course maybe that smilie is not warranted. I have yet to see a Polish poster not praise this game and bring it up on every occasion. Eh, I'll just assume it's that good, but all this enthusiasm seems weird and uncodexian and hence is prone to make me suspicious. In Ultima 8, the treasures that seemed the best were always trapped.

I'm playing it now, and let me just say that I expect that most of the reviewers who gave it low scores never got past Act 1.

And yes, I'll probably buy the PC version of Mass Effect that gets 7.5 from review sites despite being exactly the same game. It looks like a good third person shooter RPG with a good story, although nothing about it seems exceptional.

Oarfish

Prophet
Jasede said:

Motb is a good game because of the superb writing and good old fashioned C&C. It's still NWN underneath though, and its epic level DND which makes most of the combat additionally tedious. Thankfully, they didn't make combat the primary focus of the expansion and it shines because of it. The twitchier has generally superior gameplay, great art direction and shiny, but an unfortunately inferior translation and painful loading times.

I've not even finished my first play though, so judging the depth of consequences is difficult. Your choices certainly feel significant, though the same can be said of BG :)

Zomg

Arbiter
I really spent an inordinate amount of time playing MotB, and I know I need to upgrade my old transferred-from-old-computer hard drive before loading times will be tolerable, so I'm not getting Witcher right off the bat. It sounds like Gothic II but moreso from everything I've heard.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Personally I think this has been the best season for rpg's in years. Both MOTB and the Witcher have been awesome games for me. I'm also getting a lot more interested in Mass Effect. Why?

Bioware has so far always made games that at least were fun to play and felt polished. Their track record suggests this game should most likely be able to keep me entertained for a while. I don't go in expecting a deep rpg, but who knows? I'd like to be surprised here.

It's a SF rpg with a seemingly well fleshed out backstory. As a SF nut it's been bloody ages since I played a decent space opera game and I'd be willing to play even a turd if instead of dwarves and elves it has aliens and blasters in it. Buck Rogers does tend to get a bit old after 15 years.

Exploring planets a la starflight 2. I was rather skeptical about it, figuring the planets would be very much like kotor's walled in area's. Now it seems that many planets are huge and open to exploration. Since I'm a nostalgic it remembers me of the long days of the past searching for alien ruins in starflight 2.

The action actually looks to be more fun then I had initially anticipated. Though it remains to be seen how much I'll like it. It's been clear from the start that it was an action rpg, and I really don't get all the fuzz about it here.

The graphics, presentation and voice acting are top notch from what I've seen. That's always a nice plus.

The xbox360 so far has a line up that bores me to death. The only games that are of any interest are gears of war and assasin's creed. One of whom will soon come out on pc with extra content and one which isn't even out yet. Only using that thing as a glorified dvd player is getting old.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Trash said:
Bioware has so far always made games that at least were fun to play and felt polished.

NWN OC?

Trash said:
Exploring planets a la starflight 2. I was rather skeptical about it, figuring the planets would be very much like kotor's walled in area's. Now it seems that many planets are huge and open to exploration. Since I'm a nostalgic it remembers me of the long days of the past searching for alien ruins in starflight 2.

Interesting. Where did you hear that?

The_Pope

Scholar
Didn't read the whole thread, but wouldn't 'literally scratching the surface' mean he smashed up his game DVD with sandpaper?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Oh shit. :wink:

Trash said:

Interesting. Where did you hear that?

From the first post in this thread. If it's true, it could be a lot of fun. I always enjoy exploration.

errorcode

Liturgist
I demand this thread be locked and buried somewhere because i find myself utterly agreeing with Volourn on pretty much every point so far.

I just can't fucking handle that. fo'reals.

DefJam101

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Replace "MS" with "EA" and there's not much of a difference. Except that developers are more likely to hype (read: "lie about") their own game, perhaps."

Perhaps, more likely, the developers would actually know what type of game they've been working on for the last few years than the publisher(s). L0L

"Yeah, except previews seem to be suggesting the game's pretty low on the roleplaying content. Not likely you'd agree on that, I wager, considering your readily apparent Bioware fanboyism, but whatever."

Thanks for admitting that you, and the foll are wrong. It's an Action RPG. I don't reallyc are if you believe it's a shitty one or not. Your (and my opinion) on ME's perceived quality is irrelevant. That wans't even the argument.

The point is, is that it is an Action RPG; not a Shooter.

Case closed.

Telltale signs of a mindless, programmable, communist hype-drone:

-Tendency to spew idiotic statements that have no basis in reality, or are completely irrelevant to the conversation, for the sole purpose of bettering one's self.
-Traits of an idiotic statement:
+Takes a normally subjective statement, and turns it into a 'fact', thus forcing their adversary to either abandon facts altogether (how can you attack an argument with no key points?), or give up.
+Often uses snobby words -in excess- to further enhance what is otherwise a hollow statement (I.E. obviously, perhaps, well..)

-Quoting someone's post and reversing whatever they said, while giving no reasons to support their answer. Often contradictory statements will be included for added effect, forcing the other poster to take up even more of his valuable time to try and quote them all, only to end up back @ square #1 (See above)

-Ex:
+"-quotes for evidence- You're such a hypocrite. I'm sick and tired of this." "Maybe you're the hypocrite -idiotic statement-"

Maybe we should move to Europe, I hear it's not as bad over there. (We should all hope so.)

DefJam101

Arcane
Cassidy said:
DefJam101 said:
Telltale signs of a mindless, programmable, communist hype-drone

• His mindset was developed by a journalism free market...

• I meant it more in the sense that he is easily well, err, manipulated. Although I suppose that was kind of, vague. (Hell, does it even make sense?)

Of course, does it matter that much, anyways?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom