Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum vs Planescape: Torment

Which is the better RPG?

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Planescape: Torment

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Relayer71

Liturgist
Black said:
I can't choose. It's like choosing drinking or eating.

Exactly. And you need food AND drink.

And by that reasoning Oblivion crushes them both since it's like watery food*

* No, not soup - I mean it in a bad way.

felicity

Scholar
I choose Torment... not that I think it is better than Arcanum but that there is no game that gave the same great atmosphere, setting. The style is unique so it wins my vote. The protagonist is the most interesting I have seen, pulled me right from the start.

Arcanum is great, but we already had games with similar depth and gameplay e.g. fallout. The magic+science idea is neat and atmosphere was well presented, but not as full as Torment.

so... I chose Torment for its uniqueness

Helton

Arcane
You're being stupid, CF.

I have two RPGs, which is better?

That one.

NO YOU FAGGUT I MEAN WHICH IS BETTER AT THESE CRITERIA HWO DRE U DSIAGREE WITH ME U STUPID PERSON!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lamescapena7.jpg

Cloaked Figure said:
Don't start yet another pointless thread with yet another useless poll next time. People don't have to think what you do, you know. They can enjoy Torment more and vote accordingly. They may dislike replaying RPGs, they might not agree with you that Arcanum is a better RPG. It's a matter of personal preference. Grow up.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Uninspired trolling attempts like this should go straight to retardo. When with threads like these you start to miss Andhaira, then it's truly decline.

I wouldn't say the thread was useless. There was a modicum of intelligent discussion, in between the morons comments. Classic Codex really.

Arcanum is still the better RPG though :!:

Erebus

Arcane
poocolator said:
Man, the Nameless One looked so lame, but I forgave him because the game KICKED ASS. He looks like some fucking albino rastafar Jamacian guy on that box shot.

The cover art ranks up there with the worst marketing decisions ever made in the computer industry. It's probably the main reason the game did not sell better. I knew and loved the Planescape setting before and I still hesitated to buy the game when I saw this ugly picture. Who designed this and, more importantly, who approved it ?

I didn't bother with the box art. Just looked at who made it, checked out the blurb on the back and bought it. Box art has never affected my purchase.

This post still doesn't equate a vote for Torment though.

Does anyone still have their Arcanum T Shirt? Mine is still in mint condition in my cupboard.

Cloaked Figure said:
Blackadder said:
Does anyone still have their Arcanum T Shirt? Mine is still in mint condition in my cupboard.

oh I wish I had any of those bonus stuff :<

i had to buy the bargain bin edition that came packaged with blue shift and no one lives forever 2, it didn't have a manual, a cloth map, or anything else of that sort.

I don't think I got a cloth map with Arcanum. Trying to remember if I got any map actually. I got the brilliant manual, a hotkey list and addendum. And of course, the T shirt with the boxart printed on it.

This wasn't some collector edition rubbish either. All this stuff used to be standard, at no extra cost.

Cogar

Novice
Whispering Darkness said:
Cogar said:
So what is an "08'er"?

Referring to join dates. Kinda like old school versus new school type of comment.
Oh . . . the dawn breaks. Thank you.

Cloaked Figure said:
Whispering Darkness said:
Cogar said:
So what is an "08'er"?

Referring to join dates. Kinda like old school versus new school type of comment.

but i luv <3 you two. arcanum fans unite!
Ahhh . . . a sentimental thought. How un-Codex like. :D

Cogar

Novice
Cloaked Figure said:
Blackadder said:

oh I wish I had any of those bonus stuff :<

i had to buy the bargain bin edition that came packaged with blue shift and no one lives forever 2, it didn't have a manual, a cloth map, or anything else of that sort.
I thought Blue Shift and NOLF 2 were good games. Excellent deal.

Incidentally, you can purchase copies (some of them new) of Arcanum's manual at Amazon. It is a lot better than the miserable quality .pdf version that ships with Arcanum's bargain edition.

Relayer71

Liturgist
How about:

What's better? Arcanum and PS:T or 99% of the games made since?

Winner: Arcanum and PS:T.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blackadder said:
Trying to remember if I got any map actually.
The map is printed on the back of the hotkey list.

As for the poll, I voted Arcanum. PST is a better something, but it's not a better RPG, nor do I think it's a better game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom