Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you going to play Starfield?

Are you going to play Starfield?

• Total voters

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Why or why not? I am not looking to take away from the discussion going on in the offical thread, I am instead trying to gauge interest in Starfield. I did a poll for Baldur's Gate 3 here if you are interested in comparing the eventual results.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I would play it as a substitute for a benzodiazepine prescription if I suffered a terrible tragedy which shot my nerves and caused a crippling anxiety disorder.

None

Scholar
Probably not. Looks too bland for me to be interested any sooner than a year out from release and at least a 50% discount.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I have infinite free game-pass because of connections so I'll give it a try, can't hurt. It will probably be better than Fallout 4 but I can't imagine Bethesda making a good rpg again since it's been an entire two decades since their last good game.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't know. I will watch some of the gameplay, but after Skyrim I kind of lost interest in following anything Bethesda-related. It will have to be really great in order to make me want to play it, especially considering my backlog of games. Evenmoreso considering I am less the fan of sci-fi than I am of fantasy when it comes to RPGs.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
It’s wearing hard sci-fi clothes (my favorite) and isn’t written by and for the kinds of people who made the Outer Worlds, BG3 or even Cyberpunk (Which bother me enough that I just do not want to play them). I’m going to give it a chance, I would really like it to be decent.

BruceVC

Magister
Why or why not? I am not looking to take away from the discussion going on in the offical thread, I am instead trying to gauge interest in Starfield. I did a poll for Baldur's Gate 3 here if you are interested in comparing the eventual results.
Absolutely, I play all Bethesda games but I will definitely wait about 12 months for the modding community to work there wonders and improve on the normally flawed but enjoyable vanilla game

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After Oblivion, I buy Bethesda games when they are cheap enough not to think over it.

I bought Oblivion's Collector's Edition on release for $66 and hated the game (this made me join 'dex!) so:
Got Skyrim when it was 7€
Got Fallout 76 for 10€
Never bought neither Fallout 3 nor 4.

I did buy New Vegas at release, but it was developed by Obsidian, so that's different.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm surprised this really coming out this year. Felt like it announced forever ago. I really like space sci fi but we're talking about Bethesda here, 95% chance it will suck. Is either pirate or free month of game pass.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I'm going to play it, although depending on how gamebreaking the inevitable bugs are maybe not straight after release so people have time to fan patch the worst issues. I don't approach Bethesda games with any expectations about story quality the way I would other RPGs (although I do still have a big softspot for Morrowind) but in the past they've scratched my itch for exploration and I think this will too.

Fargus

Arcane
ANOTHER POZZED PRODUCT TO CONSUME!!! YEEEAAAH! ARE YOU EXCITED BOI?! THE SPACE STRIP CLUB IS GENDER NEUTRAL!!! YOU CAN SEXUALLY IDENTIFY AS SPACESHIP!! STARFIELD IS THE KANG OF OPEN WORLDS! TODD WILL DELIVER AS ALWAYS! YEEEAHH BOI!

Wake me up when its modded into an ok game few years later so i pirate it.

Akachi

Educated
Not sure. My impression of it isn't great, but it's not as bad as for most games these days either. Disappointing that's among the best I can say about an upcoming video game lately. I'm avoiding any hype or marketing like always. I'll wait until sometime after it's out to try it if I do.
It’s wearing hard sci-fi clothes (my favorite) and isn’t written by and for the kinds of people who made the Outer Worlds, BG3 or even Cyberpunk (Which bother me enough that I just do not want to play them). I’m going to give it a chance, I would really like it to be decent.
What is hard scifi about it? Honest question since I haven't been following it very closely, but I got the opposite impression. The little scifi I've liked has been hard scifi, but Starfield looked like space fantasy to me whenever I've paid attention to it.

The worst was when they showed off a few planets at one point and they barely looked alien to me, and were disappointingly unspectacular compared to how exotic and incredible real exoplanets are. Didn't look like places that would believably exist. The skies looked bland and Earth-like, and none of the alien life looked convincing or like the differences were at the kingdom level like they should be. They looked like procedurally generated mishmashes of Earth life with sunflower heads and so on, like it was designed by children rather than anyone who knows their biology and evodevo.

I believe it also has quasi-FTL travel which is very disappointing. IIRC, it specifically has Star Trek fantasy warp drives, which are practically impossible and require unobtainium among having other issues. Not very hard scifi to me, but more than it stretching my suspension of disbelief, I'm personally just not a fan of those and think they make for lame scifi. In my opinion, if you can travel that easily in the universe the story may as well have been fantasy with planes, since to travel effectively FTL takes away what's most interesting and unique about space travel and the challenges it creates, both mundane in terms of logistics and whatnot, but also more exotic such as time dilation at high speeds.

Despite my impression, the other reason you said makes it tempting to give it a shot. Definitely looks like I'll have to turn off any expectations of it following science or focusing on scientific imagination to enjoy it, though. The best hard scifi is usually written by scientists, but Beth seems like they have less than high school science educations, and the game and its story doesn't look focused on science.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom