Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best rpg( larger definition) of the year

Wich is the best one ?

• News vegas : old world blues(and other dlcs)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The witcher 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xenoblade

• Deux EX HR

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Dark souls

• Drakensang: river of time (and addon)

• Avadon

• Frayed knights

• two worlds 2

• Dragon age 2

• I am not satisfied by any of those games

• Total voters

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Excidium said:
It isn't even an RPG to begin with, FFS, stop complaining. But I agree, the PC only rule is indeed retarded, there are so few options people are voting on DLCs.

This false elitism of the codex is such a joke. "We're elite PC gamers! Here, this multiplataform shooter is our RPG of the year!"
More of an RPG than Deus Ex 3 or Fallout 3. More freedoms, more consequences, more dependence on stats and gear. Takes more than a bunch of monologues and copious amounts of bad writing to make an RPG.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
81a3723213ee.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Frayed Knights as far as pure RPGs go, with Avadon as runner-up (it's not exactly Vogel's finest, but it's still decent, and still an RPG). Deus Ex, of course, if you want to get into the grey area between RPGs and shooters, and I certainly put more time into it than most others on that list. The Witcher 2 deserves an honourable mention for being really fucking good but not really a very good RPG. I don't count the Fallout DLCs because they really are last year's game with some new story, guns, etc. tacked on, even if they are still generally good. Haven't played any of the others so I won't comment on them, but Dark Souls looks like I'd love it if I had a console to play it on.

Gerrard

Arcane
I wonder how many of the people voting for DS bitched about TW2 not being an RPG before.

made

Arcane
TW2 was a hardcore RPG when random people on the internet were raging that it's too hard, but then it stopped being an RPG when random people on the internet beat it on insane and/or without spending talents.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
TW2 is as hardcore an RPG as my left testicle. Whoever said that hopefully isn't a member of this fair community.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Dark Souls by a mile and a fucking half, it's no contest. DLC doesn't get to count in my eye.

Mortmal

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Jaesun said:
So you alone decide on what is a RPG?

Very fair and balanced poll...

Also, there isn't a single cRPG on your poll so far.

/mondblut

Well at least he didn't change his rules as an afterthought to explicitly exclude Dark Souls.

Why should one of the best games released in years not get recognition? Simply so the PC only faggots around here wouldn't have to cry themselves to sleep everynight?

:rage:

Yes i can decide what a rpg is , i played them since the beggining of computer gaming and even gaming at all starting from the play your own adventure books to pen and paper rpgs.
If ther'e's enough features implemented in ,i consider it as a computer/console rpg. Who cares of the platform, its just another assortment of chipsets! If tommorow a good blobber is released on iphone you wont play it ? oh wait theres already one and none give a damn about it.

Even more easy you just have too look at what people are really discussing here ,ive pick my choices accordingly what i'v seen .
Ii ve read the dark soul thread and theres apprently no reasons to doubt this game is a rpg, let me see, a whole world to explore, freeromaing to boot, mutliple classes to select from , a very dangerous world ,a survival aspect, and your stats and character developments seems to matters a lot,definitively a rpg.
Easier to look at what people enjoy here rather to play the little dictator completely disconnected from reality.

Off course you can restrain more your definition, but then quickly you will see nothing qualify anymore. Gold box games ? theres only fights, its not a rpg , a rpg is all about talking ,maybe a fight a session, not more, thats what people playing ars magica told me.
Joke aside arcanum and fallout were such big steps ,than a gold box game or wizardry seems much less a rpg to me now.

I dont remember people raging about the decline , when ultima underworld and system shock were released, everyone loved them, those a-rpg arent less worthy , my list is opened to suggestions of course.

hanssolo

Educated
made said:
Btw, can Xenoblade be played on an emulator?

Dolphin plays it fine, am doing so at the moment. The game using the classic controller makes it shiteasy to set up controls on one's PC (game)pad for people with prestigious predilictions, too.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
one of my favourite "RPGs" of all time is Ultima Underworld and since Demon/Dark Souls feel like the closest thing to a spiritual successor (and are even better than UU in many though not all areas ...) i also like to think of Demon and Dark Souls as proper and really damn great (action) RPGs of the dungeon crawler sort.

but maybe i shouldnt have voted for Dark Souls considering if it wins it would be up there with such great codexian favourite RPGs like The Witcher and Dragon Age : Origins. :lol:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
AlaCarcuss said:
Jaesun said:
So you alone decide on what is a RPG?

Very fair and balanced poll...

Also, there isn't a single cRPG on your poll so far.

/mondblut

Well at least he didn't change his rules as an afterthought to explicitly exclude Dark Souls.

Why should one of the best games released in years not get recognition? Simply so the PC only faggots around here wouldn't have to cry themselves to sleep everynight?

:rage:

PC Faggots? Fuck you and your claims of our elitism. I have one PC. Give me one good reason beyond exclusive games that I should buy another? ONE. SINGLE. REASON. Because if exclusive games are the only reason, then it's bollocks.

It has nothing to do with elitism. The Codex is supposed to be critical of the industry's bullshit, and consoles are industry bullshit. The Codex has always had a focus on the PC and it has shit to do with elitism and everything to do with the fact that there is no console that can do something a PC can't - thus the console is essentially nothing but a fucking money scam.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AlaCarcuss said:

Heh, think of it this way: even if Dark Souls had actually been released on PC, most Codexers would still vote for Witcher 2 as the RPG of the year. :lol: So maybe it should better stay where it is.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Grunker said:
PC Faggots? Fuck you and your claims of our elitism. I have one PC. Give me one good reason beyond exclusive games that I should buy another? ONE. SINGLE. REASON. Because if exclusive games are the only reason, then it's bollocks.

It has nothing to do with elitism. The Codex is supposed to be critical of the industry's bullshit, and consoles are industry bullshit. The Codex has always had a focus on the PC and it has shit to do with elitism and everything to do with the fact that there is no console that can do something a PC can't - thus the console is essentially nothing but a fucking money scam.

I agree with everything you say here, and that makes the fact that Dark Souls is, objectively, the best (A)RPG of the year even more tragic. And, to top the decline off, Dark Souls was developed by From Software, which is a Japanese dev. When the best RPG of the year is a console exclusive and comes form the land of spiky-hair-emo-fagottry-RPGs, then the end is nigh... at least for the gaming industry as we know it.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Grunker said:
The Codex has always had a focus on the PC and it has shit to do with elitism and everything to do with the fact that there is no console that can do something a PC can't
Except produce one of the only (decent) (a)RPGs this year.

Oops.

Who gives a flying fuck about PC versus Console bullshit, anyway? Consoles are inferior, durp-de-fucking dur. Doesn't gloss over the fact that if a developer actually does a good job with sone, it deserves a pointing out rather than a "LOL WELL YOU DID IT ON THE WRONG PLATFORM INCORRECT FAG PC ONLY DUR DUR DUR".
When you start ignoring good work to trump your PC fucking horn and WRONG-PLATFORM crusader mentality, then welcome to elitism, dickhead.

Just one more reason to bitch about something, because nothing is allowed to get away with a thumbs without there needing to be a keg-tonne of shit thrown into the mix.

(PS - I wish it was on PC all the same D: It really should be. Fucking japs have to mess it up somehow.)

Mortmal

Arcane
But having to buy new graphic cards, and having to upgrade frequently the pc , is not a money scam .

Sordid Jester

Educated
Mortmal said:
But having to buy new graphic cards, and having to upgrade frequently the pc , is not a money scam .
Ssshhh, that part of industry bullshit is perfectly fine, because it revolves around the PC.

The entire industry is crap. Consoles should be a point in where developers sit down and get used to tech, and provide a decent generation of games. Consoles shouldn't need to exist in the first place, because developers should just get used to this kind of mentality in the first place.

Grunker is right, but tooting the PC horn right now isn't exactly a high 'n' mighty thing because all that is is a platform of MORE TECH, NEW CARDS, DX15 ULTRA-TEXTURESSSSS. Or terrible ports.

Mortmal

Arcane
think it costed me around 2500 euros just to play U7 in good conditions back then.. The 250 euros for the ps3 dont seems so absurd .

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sordid Jester said:
Grunker said:
The Codex has always had a focus on the PC and it has shit to do with elitism and everything to do with the fact that there is no console that can do something a PC can't
Except produce one of the only (decent) (a)RPGs this year.

Oops.

Who gives a flying fuck about PC versus Console bullshit, anyway? Consoles are inferior, durp-de-fucking dur. Doesn't gloss over the fact that if a developer actually does a good job with sone, it deserves a pointing out rather than a "LOL WELL YOU DID IT ON THE WRONG PLATFORM INCORRECT FAG PC ONLY DUR DUR DUR".
When you start ignoring good work to trump your PC fucking horn and WRONG-PLATFORM crusader mentality, then welcome to elitism, dickhead.

Just one more reason to bitch about something, because nothing is allowed to get away with a thumbs without there needing to be a keg-tonne of shit thrown into the mix.

(PS - I wish it was on PC all the same D: It really should be. Fucking japs have to mess it up somehow.)

Fuck you and your strawman SJ. If all you can do is yell "waaaah you're being elitist" then there's really no point to any sort of debate. I play plenty of console games, and do it with a controller, on my PC. Why? Because a console is essentially a 300$ access code that on the mercy of the industry allows you to buy exclusive games.

That kind of bullshit is so fucked to the core that I can easily sympathise with the Codex' choice of not supporting it.

Now, the rules are that the one who does the hard work and tallies the votes makes the rules. Jaesun's made a PC only rule. Deal with it. The fact Dark Souls is console exclusive is fucking them shooting themselves in their fucking foot, it's not exactly out fault.

Would I, for example, be playing it, if it came out for the PC? Probably. But I'm not buying two boxes of hardware when one is theoretically capable of doing everything the other is.

made

Arcane
hanssolo said:
made said:
Btw, can Xenoblade be played on an emulator?

Dolphin plays it fine, am doing so at the moment. The game using the classic controller makes it shiteasy to set up controls on one's PC (game)pad for people with prestigious predilictions, too.
Nice. Wasn't keeping track of Dolphin. Time to check out the new Zelda and Fire Emblem. ^_^

Hobo Elf

Arcane
skuphundaku said:
Grunker said:

I agree with everything you say here, and that makes the fact that Dark Souls is, objectively, the best (A)RPG of the year even more tragic. And, to top the decline off, Dark Souls was developed by From Software, which is a Japanese dev. When the best RPG of the year is a console exclusive and comes form the land of spiky-hair-emo-fagottry-RPGs, then the end is nigh... at least for the gaming industry as we know it.

Keep thinking that way, kid. Maybe Cleve will let you in his bunker once it's finished. The rest of us will be having a fuckton of fun with Dark Souls while you wait for this fictional end of the world scenario. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom