Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best rpg( larger definition) of the year

Wich is the best one ?

• News vegas : old world blues(and other dlcs)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The witcher 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xenoblade

• Deux EX HR

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Dark souls

• Drakensang: river of time (and addon)

• Avadon

• Frayed knights

• two worlds 2

• Dragon age 2

• I am not satisfied by any of those games

• Total voters

Black

Arcane
I'm not satisfied!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Crooked Bee said:
And no, in this case I don't even mean Dark Souls. But as things stand, you're just a shithead. And I'm hunting those.

You'll fit in here just fine though, no worries. Or maybe you're just another alt, what with the name like that.
So the hunted becomes the hunter.
But kudos for never paying enough attention to him to recognize his "style".

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah, so he managed to find his way back here. Good for him.

SkyrimSucks said:
But seriously, how can you even say Dark Souls is an rpg when Frayed Knights is not?

I didn't say that. Both are RPGs in my book, albeit in different ways and of different kinds.

But whatever, who cares.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DamnedRegistrations said:
Right. Sorry for my bizzare alien thinking grounded in, you know, reality.

final fantasy is a crpg - Google Search

1. Urban Dictionary: crpg

"CRPG. Computer Role-Playing Game. Some deservedly famous CRPG's include the Baldur's Gate series and the Final Fantasy games. buy crpg mugs & shirts ..."
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crpg

I'd never heard crpg or jrpg used before I visited this website, and it's never been clearly defined to my recollection. For a while I thought it might have stood for console rpg.
That's your fellow autists with their "herp derp misnomer" (definitions change). Here's what I have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_1
"Final Fantasy (ファイナルファンタジー Fainaru Fantajī?) is a fantasy role-playing video game created by Hironobu Sakaguchi, developed and first published in Japan by Square (now Square Enix) in 1987."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_II
"Phantasy Star II (known as Phantasy Star II: The End of the Lost Age in Japan) is a console role-playing video game developed by Sega AM7 and released for the Sega Mega Drive in Japan in 1989."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_trigger
Chrono Trigger (クロノ・トリガー Kurono Torigā?) is a role-playing video game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1995.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_4
"Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, originally released in Japan as simply Persona 4 (ペルソナ4 Perusona Fō?), is a role-playing video game developed and published by Atlus for Sony's PlayStation 2, and chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_%28video_game%29
"Fallout is a computer role-playing game produced by Tim Cain, developed and published by Interplay in 1997. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_O ... ck_Obscura
"Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (more commonly known as Arcanum) is a single player / multi-player computer role-playing game developed by Troika Games and published by Sierra Entertainment."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_IV
"Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, first released in 1985 (USCO# PA-317-504) for the Apple II, is the fourth in the series of Ultima computer role-playing games. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anachronox
"Anachronox (play /əˈnækrənɒks/,[1] created from anachronism and noxious[2]) is a 2001 third-person computer role-playing game (RPG) produced by Tom Hall and the Dallas Ion Storm games studio. "

Notice how the (personal) computer games are referred to as "computer role-playing games" and the console games aren't? Because if you call them computer games people are going to look at you funny, weirdo.

MCA
"JRPG" has been a fairly popular term since at least late 2000s, in common use on even the most mainstream gaming sites. If you've never seen it used before, you haven't been reading anything anywhere about rpgs, or haven't been paying attention.

Mortmal

Arcane
Want me to add it to next poll ?
So far ill add skyrim, hopefully legend of grimrock, but not really counting on it so soon.

Cynic

Arcane
Volourn said:
Anyways, obvious answer is obvious: Dark Souls.

Fixed!

DA2 is a joke item in that poll didn't you realize it was just there for teh lulz?

Cynic

Arcane
SkyrimSucks said:
You don't have to resort to name calling Crooked Bee. Try to be a gentlewoman.

But seriously, how can you even say Dark Souls is an rpg when Frayed Knights is not? That's retarded and will only get you ridiculed here.

Dark Souls is a twitch based action game with some rpg elements. Frayed Knights is a proper crpg.

Andhaira, Dark Souls is far from twitch based. Did you rage quit and cry too much?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It was interesting watching the Dark Souls speedrun on youtube. Aside from a couple spots (one of which was just a recovery from a facepalm worthy error, the other being the final boss and a matter of necessity due to extreme lack of resources) there wasn't a lot of twitch skill involved. Almost everything was facilitated through game knowledge of where to most quickly acquire power and exploit it. I could probably manage everything in the video but the last fight in under two hours if I spent a day trying.

UserNamer

Cipher
I have to check out dark souls- I don't have a console system but I'm thinking to fetch one just to try the souls games.

The new vegas dlcs I personally found quite boring. Yeah, boring. I remember I liked New Vegas in 2010 though.

The witcher 2 was great, though I was convinced that it is not really an rpg.

I didn't play the rest. Is xenoblade a joke, or is it actually worth checking out?

Bruticis

UserNamer said:
I didn't play the rest. Is xenoblade a joke, or is it actually worth checking out?

If you like the older style JRPGs, it's one of the best in recent times. It's huge with quite a bit of content, I clocked over 100 hours playing it on the dolphin. If you don't like JRPGs, then no, don't check it as it's pure JRPG with the token stupid race of muppets, some whiny characters, and the bizarre jap dialog with all those weird grunts, groans, and AH...OH... and other such nonsense (which I've still never figured out why they write it like that, do Japs really talk like that).

UserNamer

Cipher
I only played one jrpg in my whole life and it was chrono trigger. I remember that I liked it a lot, but I was a lot younger back then.

Bruticis

UserNamer said:
I only played one jrpg in my whole life and it was chrono trigger. I remember that I liked it a lot, but I was a lot younger back then.
I've seen many jap lovers call it the best jrpg since Chrono Trigger (it's the same director btw, Tetsuya Takahashi).

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah dark souls winning by a large margin with 2nd vegas dlc and third witcher 2 surprisingly according the number of poles . I dont think many will change their vote to skyrim but we will see.Notice the people disatisfied are clearly the minority now while it was over 50% at beggining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom