Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can't stop playin Deus Ex..Y no dev evolved this gamestyle?

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Ok, I only finished the first game a few months ago, and now finished IW. I am totally addicted to this style of gameplay, (my only other addictions are to Turn based wargames, CLose combat, Fallout/Arcanum, and NWN mods). It is the only form of FPS/RPG I think I can play non-stop with SS1 & SS2. Besides turn based RPGs, I really want many more DX1 type games to be made.
I have seen there are a few mods that have new missions for DX1. I hope they add like 20 more hours of gameplay missions.
How is it possible that the single greatest FPS game evolution (merging with RPG/adventure elements) has not been the foundation/archetype for many more FPS or even 3rd person shooter rpg hybrids!? The game did well, and was basically a smart mainstream game. If smarter game slike Civs and Total wars can sell over a million, surely publishers can realize Deus Ex style FPS evolved games can sell a million or more as well. Its even a mainstream pat on the back that the harder smarter more RPGish first game sold better then the shorter more dumbed down second game.

Where are all the Deus Ex inspired FPS/RPG/adventure hybrids?

The only games I could find anywhere that eschew a similar experience are:
Neuro Hunter- can be purchased fom Ebay Germany etc.
http://www.neurohunter.com/englisch/index.html

Sabotain Break the Rules -not released in NA, can be found on Ebay Italy, Spain though.
here's the demo:
http://www.download.com/Sabotain-Break-the-Rules-demo/3000-8023_4-10331202.html

Utopia City-bad bad reviews though
here's the demo:
http://www.utopiareal.com/city/download/

There's an indy gam called necrotech, low budget,and the gameplay looks very very questionable. If there ar eno other DX inspired games though, I might try this...for a bit.
http://www.spectresoftware.com/db/Necrotech/index.asp

Is there any more like Deus Ex out there? are any being made? There has to be more does anyone know about other games or projects in dev?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nah, Fallout will suck compared to DX. Why? Simple, I'll tell you:
useless skills: DX had one (simming) which wasn't necessarily useless it simply wasn't utilized nearly enough. FO will have the majority of them useless.
skills don't help you that much (in DX you noticed a major diff with each increase in skill, but you won't in FO, especially with guns).
The way you get points in FO vs DX
For DX you get points for exploration and completing missions. In FO you get points for killing people and completing missions. Which offers you more replay value and versatility? DX, because there is a limited amount of points and not only that, but you don't have to devote your abilities to killing per se, because it doesn't effect that much how you get these points (unless you count it towards completing a mission).
DX even will have a better targeting system than FO.

Also, forgive my misspellings. I just jerked off and my hands are a little tired and woozy like.

Look above: a game that was made in 00-01 (DX) is better than beth's great game now.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Is there any more like Deus Ex out there?
System Shock 2 is probably the closest you'll find, and it's arguably even better DX. It can be hard as fuck at times though, and I've yet to play another game with an atmosphere as thick as SS2's; the Thief games are probably the only ones that come close in terms of atmosphere.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
If you liked Deus Ex you should absolutely play System Shock 2. SS2 inspired Deus Ex and is a better game IMO. It's also better than its pseudo-sequel Bioshock. The graphics are a bit dated, but the gameplay/mechanics/story/sound are all excellent.

(Curse you Fat Dragon!)

Edited for frustration at not being the first to say SS2.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
He has already said he played ss1 & ss2...
(No Gotdamit, I'm not going to feed another one of those retarded is DX1 or SS2 better discussions !... NO stoP... arrggg....at least I'll put it in spoiler tags...:
and while ss2 is a great game, it's only better that DX in the shooting and skill-development department. DX1 is better in all the other areas (especially the story) and the gameplay can be a lot more diverse since you can sneak, you can solve situations with multiple solutions and even with dialog and you also get to have C&C.

The only other game that has similar gameplay and I've enjoyed almost as much, is Bloodlines.

There is also THIEF , great game, but the gameplay is entirely based on sneaking. You could also try Riddick.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
people who think DX is a better game than SS2 should be shot on grounds of SS2 being one of the best games ever

honestly, DX sucks after the first time through; it's meh

so many good ideas, so flawed execution, and very boring on multiple runthroughs

SS2 is the better game and will always be

the only DX mod i know improves the textures, but it caused my game to crash

I tried playing a couple of mods (The one with that chick from Ghost in the Shell.), but the end result usually left my Deus Ex game moving 30 frames faster then it's supposed to.

You're better off just playing DE for the 20th time already.

its bloody difficult giving the player so many options, warren spector said something to the extent that 'he would never try to do it again'

MisterStone

Arcane
I never finished Deus Ex because while the first 2/3rds were pretty fun, at some point my guy just became too badass to be stopped, and the puzzles and so on were too easy. Also, there was a really lame showdown with that one chick, which was just terrible. Still, it was pretty good up until that point.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I remember I didn't like DX the first time I've played it back in 2001 - but later guess it grew up on me and indeed it is a very nice game - with a small overall non-linearity and levels with multiple ways of completion. The storyline in the end was a bit cheesy though and levels became more linear. But DX is still a very good action game, and not because of the comparison to all that retardation coming up today.

z3r'0'

Liturgist
SS2 was awesome, but DX has a better story.

@ OP: If you haven't, you should try Vampire:Bloodlines.

I too, have waited for devs to carry on with DX/SS2 type games. Guess these kind of games aren't easy to make.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Ion Flux said:
Hmmm. This might require another playthrough. Crap. Like I have time to play Deus Ex again. :?

You can never play DX too much! Plus Shifter improves the game while keeping the gameplay, it doesn't feel like a brand new experience but an improved one. I'd say any first playthrough should be vanilla but after that Shifter is the way to go.

Heresiarch

Prophet
To OP:

You really really really should try Vampire Bloodlines. Don't forget to install all the patches include the fanmade ones. It's one of the best RPG/FPS hybrid which symphazied even more heavily on the RPG aspect. BTW why there's no "DEUS EX IS NOT A RPG" arguement here?

If you can stomach extremely dated graphics and engine, try Strife (abandonware!). It's probably one of the first FPS mixed with true NPC conversations and choice and consequences.

ushdugery

Scholar
Bloodlines is a lot like this but there is a bit of forced combat but also in parts dialogue options that can solve quests, so I guess it runs both ways.

MisterStone

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Also, there was a really lame showdown with that one chick, which was just terrible.

Spoiler said:
Maggie Chow or Anna Navarre?
The former: Heh, that sword fight was pretty fun, in a whole Davy vs Goliath way when it happened in the end of Hong Kong. "Oh, I'm some girl using a dragon tooth against the world's best nanoagent. I'm sure I can win." Yeah, like she really could. The battle with Anna Navarre in the subway was awesome, though. The fight with Gunther was a little bad, though. Invicible Gunther? I tried FOR A ENTIRE DAY to take him down, but I didn't manage it.

The former. It wasn't even a fight... it was like, *swish*, dead. The other fights you mentioned were pretty cool though.

IdaGno

Educated
Jasede said:
people who think DX is a better game than SS2 should be shot on grounds of SS2 being one of the best games ever

I'm up against the wall & sucking on a Marlboro. So shoot me already.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
everyone in this thread should be shoot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom