Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can't stop playin Deus Ex..Y no dev evolved this gamestyle?

As always, it's a matter of personal preference. I like Deus Ex more than SS2 as well.

St. Toxic

Arcane
SS2 had some very nice co-op. From what I recall DE had a very buggy mod attempting the same feat, which sort of pushed it back for me.

Afterall, co-op is what makes fps's bearable to men of high standards.

Heresiarch

Prophet
The only thing SS2 is truly better than DE is SHODAN. Creepy bitch beats the-sissy-who-wanna-be-god in DE millions of miles away.

It's a shame that I played SS2 way too late (it was 2005 or 06) so the supposedly creepy atmorsphere and grafix didn't do for me. Not saying it sucks(far from it), but at least feeling a little letdown. I still fondly remember when I was young I got nightmares from the zombies in SS1 though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Noone lives forever 2 is a pretty neat game that has some of the things that made Deus Ex so good.

Anyway, opinions are subjective. Both SS2 and DE are awesome, but also very different games.

Sentenza

Scholar
MisterStone said:
I never finished Deus Ex because while the first 2/3rds were pretty fun, at some point my guy just became too badass to be stopped, and the puzzles and so on were too easy. Also, there was a really lame showdown with that one chick, which was just terrible. Still, it was pretty good up until that point.

The first part in Hong Kong is a bit tedious to say the least, BUT you'll miss all the cool locations if you stop playing there

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Try Boiling Point. It has factions, shootings and driving/walking around GTA-Style. Its not DX, but its a kind of Shooter/Adventure stuff you want. Also...buggy as hell and some features/models are pretty wooden.

Btw... SS2 on XP anyone? I get freezes all the time and i heard that some Pentium4 feature produces that. Sooo cant try it :(

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
jagged-jimmy said:
Try Boiling Point. It has factions, shootings and driving/walking around GTA-Style. Its not DX, but its a kind of Shooter/Adventure stuff you want. Also...buggy as hell and some features/models are pretty wooden.

Btw... SS2 on XP anyone? I get freezes all the time and i heard that some Pentium4 feature produces that. Sooo cant try it :(

I once looked for solutions to that too [google is your friend] and this link here provides solutions for a shitload of possible problems:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't get why anyone would have a problem with Deus Ex's bossfights? Simple formula:

You run away, plant explosives on a wall, and then wait for the person to come to you. End. It's how I dealt with all three of them. Of course, one of them could be killed by "Laputan Machine" so it's even easier actually.

You know Deus Ex was pretty hard the first time through. I played it again on the highest difficulty, but then I started finding it too easy. And now I wish it was harder.

I had the mod that makes flamethrowers not work so I shot the one boss dead with a pistol to save ammo for the other guns.
I had to shoot him about 50 times.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Though here's a funky thing about Deus Ex:

You are given a mission where you have to assassinate a Hispanic guy who is a big corporate man funding a terrorist group. Instead of shooting him, I burn him with a flamethrower.

The boss reprimands me for not obeying orders and killing the guy. I lose my bonus!

OH LOL YOU DIDN'T KILL THE GUY THE FIRE DID NO BONUS

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Taking a moment to self pimp : SoW is heavily influenced by DX and Bloodlines. First person RPGs like that are my favorite type.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Spoilers, bitches. No blacking out for me. I'm too snazzy to put that bit of effort into forumposting.

Actually, I usually either killed Anna at Lebedev's, to get his side of the story in full, or after being captured by Gunther whilst making the breakaway from the UNATCO facility. You can pwn her using her killphrase then. Actually, if not for Gunther's invicibilty at the station, I'd have totally pwnd him, like. Usually went down hard, Tony Montana style.

Usually killphrased Gunther, too, but he wasn't that tough anyhow. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm such a badass mofo and my usual tactic is a sniper bullet to the head. He went down after 5 or smth. Gas grenades are uberkewl in a pinch, too.

You can actually encounter Walton Simons later on, if you don't kill him (either let him go once he's panicked and begins running away, or escape yourself). He's somewhere at the entrance of Area 51, and if you still let him live after that, he's at Bob's nifty ubermensch machine. No running away this time. Gotta pwn him.

And he's not that tough, anyhow. At least my usual bullet-slinger dude had no problems, especially when using the uberpwn weapon, assault rifle's grenades. A grenade to the head would always solve the problem. :>

End of spoiler. You can get that head of yours out of your arse now, Jasede.

No point in playing the game on any difficulty level apart from realistic. It's awfully easy otherwise.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My head is only deeper in my arse because I actually played the game only once, on Realistic, killed a total of 3 people and knocked out the rest.

And got no fucking rewards for it. BAH.

[And it was still too easy.]

a cockfag is you

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well, you shouldn't have avoided fights. :) Sure, Paul encourages you to, but it's clear from the first mission itself that all it results in is him and General Carter patting you on the back and the mechs criticising you for it.

From the fun point of view, it would really have been better if you went all out firepower on everybody. There's nothing quite like setting people in a warehouse on fire, so that they run around, bump into each other, put others on fire, and cause explosions by ramming into barrels.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
So a list of Deus Ex games would include:
Alpha Protocol
No one Lives Forever 2
Vampire:Bloodlines
Boiling Point
Cybermage
Ultima underworld
Strife
Riddick
Ultima underworld(?)
And of course in development Scars of War....and then later the shadowrun-like game

I'll play these ones and additionally Neuro Hunter, Sabotain Break the Rules, and I'll even try Utopia City.

Here's a link to mod database's entry for Deus Ex and a bunch of mods and new missions they have stored there.

http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex

Beans00

Erudite
It is a really great game, one of my favroites of all time, of course i have not played system shock 2.
I would give deus ex a 9.5/10 :arrow:

Jazper

Educated
I thought I'd seen everything possible in Deux Ex. But after doing a little bit of modding and looking through the original game files I found a ton of little things I've missed.

In the New York mission where you have to send the NSF radio signal for Paul, there is a variable to see if you killed all the UNATCO troops in the warehouse. I'm guessing it affects a conversation later, or might be something they never got round to using. I normally play a stealth character, so I just jump of the roof with the speed Aug on and run.

It's the same for the underground mole people. Even though I see no valid reason to kill them. Anybody tried it?

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
In NYC, if you kill or knock all of 'em UNATCO feebz out, you get a different neurolink message (or whatever that thing was called) from Walton Simons. He just says "OMG they're all down but we'll get ya anyway you biatch" or something to that extent. Don't know about the mole people.

Imbecile

Arbiter
How good is Vampire: Bloodlines? I've heard some mixed things about it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom