Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Chefe does Fallout 3 @ the Codex

dagorkan

Arbiter
Chefe is just desperately looking for something to fill up the emptiness of his life. He's too much of a faggot try cock so he writes page long articles for the RPGCodex ignoring the fact that he doesn't even like RPGs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Didn't like it. It's filled with inconsistencies, assumptions, unsupported statements, bad flow, and some really dumb shit. In other words, it's a fine example of reviews we used to make fun of.

"Consequences! Nice word, eh? There are many consequences in Fallout 3, and in some places they walk a fine line between survivalist games. Radiation is a constant threat. You receive it from being outside, fighting radiated creatures, drinking non purified water, eating food, and everything in between. Your limbs can be crippled in combat. You can become addicted to stat boosting drugs or alcohol. To remedy these problems you have to sleep, which can also give you a short term experience earned boost if you sleep for long enough, take medicine, and visit doctors. On the harder difficulties your health is really something to be intelligently managed. For all these dangers you have skills to help you out, such as Small Guns and Barter, along with S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats that govern the skills. You also have perks. Taking the place of both traits and perks from the previous Fallout games, Fallout 3 awards perks every level and they can vary from the useful, to the interesting, to the just plain weird. It’s an extra incentive to look forward to that next level besides basic skill points. These perks, such as Black Widow, can also give you unique dialog options, and some you might not have expected. "
He started talking about consequences, didn't say much, jumped to radiation, pretended that it's a huge threat, which it isn't, mentioned that the game has skills and stats (really?), and jumped to perks. Not very informative, to say the least.

Above all, it’s about discovery, and discovery is what Bethesda does best.

Ironically, discovery is also a cause of hurt in the world of Fallout 3.

I commend Bethesda for working with what they had, what they knew they could improve, and not failing miserably in an attempt to design a turn based engine.

Given the setting of the game, it shouldn’t be surprising that those who will get the most out of this are Americans.
:facepalm:

Hope to see Elwro, DU, or old man Saint's thoughts on the game.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Magic phraze "Decline of the codex" written 10000 times causes real decline.

Vince, fuck off this place and write your own review quickly. Then continue job on aod. You have time until thursday.

RainSong

Scholar
unfortunately in this case writing :declineofthecodex: is a sad truth. This review that chefe wrote is simply bad and it being codex's review means something. It shows how dramatically standards on this site decreased.

and I'm not saying that Fallout 3 is a bad game, only that chefe's review is a bad piece of work. Like VD said "it's a fine example of reviews we used to make fun of" and I can only add that it wasn't too long ago.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Konjad said:
RainSong said:
accidental post, sry

Reon-Kadena-64.jpg

The only good thing in this fucking retarded topic.

Amen. Bumping pic for progeny to enjoy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"WAAAAH SOMEONE LIKED THE GAME I AM DETERMINED TO HATE WITHOUT PLAYING IT WAAAAH"

Sure beats buying the game just to hate it anyways after watsing $80 on a piece of shit.

btw, I also don't buy Guitar Hero cause it looks to be shitty.

I don't apologize for saving my m,oney to buy games I think i will have fun with.

R00fles!

Pastel

Scholar
Wow, Volly is actually right.
But spending 70$ to validate your internet arguments without resorting to piracy is not wasted money at all.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Pastel said:
But spending 70$ to validate your internet arguments without resorting to piracy is not wasted money at all.
Internet, serious biznes.

Zomg

Arbiter
Embarrassing writing. I can't judge the quality of criticism fairly but it seems bleak.

Edit - Wait, it this satire? If so it's pretty good.

Chefe

Erudite
I'd like to point out that most of you are, in fact, idiots.

That is all.

Zomg

Arbiter
If I read the whole thing would there be some point where you've put something like a textual version of the goatse ring so I'll be totally sure it's a fake review?

Chefe

Erudite
Zomg said:
If I read the whole thing would there be some point where you've put something like a textual version of the goatse ring so I'll be totally sure it's a fake review?

Can you not accept me for who I am?

Pseudofool

Scholar
It's persuasively written, but for someone having a English degree it's a bit thin on the Criticism (yes, with a capital C, I don't mean "negativity").

The first two Fallouts actually had literary merit. This one doesn't. Fallout 3's take on both theme (morality, diversity, rule of law, etc. etc.) and form (it's ability to call attention to medium of crpg) is not only juvenile, it's embarrassingly sheepish.

While a quest tree like Blood Ties has promise, the lack of dialogue, the shortness, linearity of the quests, and the lack of NPCs that are actually meaningful all undercut any credible notion of excellence, here.

Admittedly, I haven't finished the game; but it's precisely because it's shallow on aspects that matter to me.

A decent first effort overall that hits on many of the strengths and weaknesses of the game, but obviously with many possible areas of improvement. I agree with some of Marsal's arguments on the first page - the game's ending needed to be addressed because the manner in which it was handled was quite poor and detracted from the overall experience. Also, I'm not sure whether you mentioned the problems with the level scaling in the game. It isn't as bad as Oblivion - you'll never find a raider in power armor, but they often do upgrade from small arms to missile launchers and whatnot, and it is often easier to kill supermutants and enclave troops in power armor than it is to kill giant radscorpions and yao guai in the desert. So while it is not as bad, it is still immersion breaking. Other than that, I'd agree with the general thrust of the review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom