Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Chefe does Fallout 3 @ the Codex

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Why dont you respond to Saint's response, Chefe? I didn't even read the review but the way your acting in this thread makes it seem like the review was all a front of professionalism and shit like exitium.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
SpaceKungFuMan said:
Developers read the site and post here for a reason. With a review like this, combined with the lulz, I can't see why a developer would even bother anymore. VD may be gone, but Saint, Section8 and other heavy hitters are still around. Anyone of them could have written a review with real value to developers and gamers.
*Cough* Section8 is writing a Fallout 3 review [or so he claims]. Chefe's is for interim lulz. *Cough*

Sorry, just had a bad throat there.

Jason

chasing a bee
As for me, I've just saved Adytum from the Regulators and am heading off to the Glow.
In other words, your revenge for not getting a forum for your vaporware is writing a mediocre review. Well played, indeed.

Tintin

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
*Cough* Section8 is writing a Fallout 3 review [or so he claims]. Chefe's is for interim lulz. *Cough*

Sorry, just had a bad throat there.

"Section8 is writing a Fallout 3 review [or so he claims]. Chefe's is for interim lulz."

Chefe

Erudite
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Why dont you respond to Saint's response, Chefe? I didn't even read the review but the way your acting in this thread makes it seem like the review was all a front of professionalism and shit like exitium.

God, I feel like I'm on the ESF.

baby arm said:
As for me, I've just saved Adytum from the Regulators and am heading off to the Glow.
In other words, your revenge for not getting a forum for your vaporware is writing a mediocre review. Well played, indeed.

Where did this come from? I saw someone just bumped my six month old thread in site feedback.

I'm disappointed, baby arm. I thought you were smarter than that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I predicted it as soon as I knew the Codex would have a review up. All the the review threads are like this.

"I think its fair to say that a website that is dominated by a forum community should have an official review that is reflective of that forum community."

No.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Whatever the person decides to write. IF anyone responds. See, I win NO MATTER WHAT.

Twinfalls

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
"Section8 is writing a Fallout 3 review [or so he claims]. Chefe's is for interim lulz."

Someone tell him to please pare down the standard S8 verbosity before it's submitted.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nah. My predictions are always accurate. And, vague. Just to make sure they are, in fact, accurate.

tunguska

Liturgist
The review was pretty mediocre, and it doesn't belong here. Is the game really so good, so flawless that it can't even be criticized on the codex? Sorry, but I'm not buying that. This review belongs on Gamespot, not here. I have already read countless glowing 10/10 reviews on the mainstream sites. Why should I bother reading the same thing here?

Didn't Chefe actually say that not only did he actually like Oblivion, but also that he disliked the first 2 Fallouts? Sounds like a typical short attention span console chimp to me. He'd no doubt complain that PS:T had too much text.

I am waiting patiently for VDs review which I am sure will be excellent, even though I might not agree with his conclusions about the value of this new Zenimax atrocity.

Oh, btw, Chefe, Zenimax *is* Bethesda. You seem to be under the impression that they are separate entities. That is not the case. Here is a little bit of the history of how Chris Weaver's company, the one that made Arena and Daggerfall and some of Morrowind, was taken over by his "business partner", Robert Altman, owner of "Zenimax Media". He was just a business guy who saw video games as an investment. He ousted Weaver soon enough and did things his own way. A way that brought us some of Morrowind and all of Obvlivion. A way that made a lot of money by pandering to the lowest common denominator. Always a sound investment. The "Bethesda Softworks" name was kept for reasons of name recognition only. To cash in on the value of Weavers company and the good will of his fanbase who liked Daggerfall and Arena. It was actually Zenimax now in every way that mattered. If you read the history it is no mystery why Bethesda (aka Zenimax) now sucks. And why Daggerfall and Arena were such different games and so much better than the new Zenimax garbage.

Weaver sued Zenimax at least twice it seems for Altman's slimy business tactics. He was ousted from his own company by a rich slimy scumbag. And now we have games like FO3 that were created because Altman has more money than good sense. Zenimax didn't have to rape the Fallout license and prevent a real Fallout 3 from ever being made when they had no intention of creating a real sequel, but rather Oblivion with Guns. Most of the people who like this so called Fallout are not the same people who liked or would ever have the patience to actually play the first two games. So why the fuck buy the rights!? *sigh*. Altman is just a dick.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_83/471-Bethesda-The-Right-Direction.2

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/ZeniMax-Media

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"but also that he disliked the first 2 Fallouts? Sounds like a typical short attention span console chimp to me."

Yeah, but consideirng the fact that FO1 is rather short (10-20 hours MAX); you don't relaly need a long attention span to finish it, anyways. :roll:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Our reviews are few and far between, our news is composed of links to sites where real articles are written
I just wanted to say that while I ideally would spend 5 hours daily writing stuff for the Codex, it's just impossible. I work on my PhD, give classes, translate stuff for $, organize and take part in concerts of forgotten music and so on. These are my priorities. Up to November 2007 the Codex was in an extremely lucky situation, as VD was a person with 1) the urge to do things, 2) (as displayed) the time necessary to do them and 3) the brain to do them well. It's extremely difficult to find a person simultaneously possessing these three traits.

Chefe

Erudite
Elwro said:
Our reviews are few and far between, our news is composed of links to sites where real articles are written
I just wanted to say that while I ideally would spend 5 hours daily writing stuff for the Codex, it's just impossible. I work on my PhD, give classes, translate stuff for $, organize and take part in concerts of forgotten music and so on. These are my priorities. Up to November 2007 the Codex was in an extremely lucky situation, as VD was a person with 1) the urge to do things, 2) (as displayed) the time necessary to do them and 3) the brain to do them well. It's extremely difficult to find a person simultaneously possessing these three traits.

I have no doubt that a community effort would be required. Look at it this way - we have a whole lot of people who want to say their opinion on RPGs, and the current crop of mainstream bullshit like Fallout 3 has lead quite a number of people to discovering or rediscovering those old RPGs. How about reviews for some of the better ones, and how to obtain them (abandonware, amazon, etc.)? The "reviews" could be delivered short and sweet (a page maximum) and could basically outline what the game was about for those who are interested. We all have our different areas. For example, I could not review the Ishar games, but I would be able to write a review from a modern perspective on the first Wizardry games.

How about a list of the best community patches for some of the later ones (Fallout, IWD, etc.) and some of the best mods (BG, MW, etc.)? I know this is an issue for me when I want to play some classics. Maybe it's just me, but I believe it would be beneficial to have a dedicated codex (get it?) of links for what the gaming community has improved.

Another thing would be a codex (get it? GET IT??) of RPG games. Similar to mobygames, only prominent developer names (MCA, Sawyer, etc.) would be on there and their contributions. Yesterday in a GRPG thread, someone mentioned IWD2 being Avellone. One look at the codex would show that it was, indeed, Sawyer's game. What about Mitsoda, the man behind bloodlines and MOTB? He also worked on IWD, but was only a QA tester. You go to mobygames and they don't tell you that.

Then again, maybe everyone just wants to further delve into idiocy, flame wars, and random pics of half naked women. I'm just offering suggestions. I don't know if DU called out my satire and decided to post the review, or if they posted it because they needed to put something up there and I was the only one that offered.

The Codex doesn't need a schedule. It just needs some willing individuals who know that the site is dedicated to becoming the loud glittering gems of hatred it was once known for. No one contibutes now because they think it the administration doesn't care. The Codex is in a unique position where it's prestigious Fallout 3 review doesn't need to nor should carefully analyze gameplay mechanics and judge the game in its own terms like everyone else, and can oust the game for the true crime against humanity that it is.

Shannow

Waster of Time
SpaceKungFuMan said:
Bingo.

There isn't really anything for me to add. Well played Chefe. I hope you don't get banned for this. I hope the admins take this to heart.
Why should he be? It has been obvious for quite a long time that he is trolling. I actually thought that "administration" agreed with this "plot" to shake the codex awake. Putting this review up on the main page while having another in the pipe seems to imply this.
Chefe has been obviously following an agenda since his "decline of the codex" campaign. Considering this "FO3 will save crpgs" + "overly positive FO3 review" not to be part of that agenda is quite naive.
The reason I think that he is such a moron is because all his attempts at "saving" the codex have only made things worse. If he truly was trying to make things better he would have set an example by posting quality posts. By flaming people that come here to "defend" their best games evar by destroying their pathetic arguments, presenting valid ones himself and spicing the whole thing up with choice insults. By preserving good Codex traditions instead of becoming part of the disease. In short, he should have equipped the ring.

The only things that I give him grudging respect for are his consequence and patience. Otherwise he's just a troll like all the others.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I cannot facepalm enough. "I DID IT AS SOSHUL EXPERIMENT" is just... I expected better, really.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Chefe, did you actually buy into that whole hivemind thingie? There is no "hivemind" or even a "community". Just a forum filled with individuals that like to complain about a certain subject. Don't take it all so seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom