Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Chefe does Fallout 3 @ the Codex

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What "social experiment" thing?

Chefe posted a review. The review was criticized. Chefe couldn't handle the criticism. First, he lashed at Fallout. When that didn't work, he pretended that the entire thing was a clever joke that nobody got.

Time for the "weasel" tag?

Hory

Erudite
No, time for him to change his name to that of a roman deity and start a RPGguru website.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm fairly impressed that Chefe is a good enough student of enthuso-drivel to pull it off.

As far as the Codex goes, VD + a forum full of the crazy people TB RPGs attract was the winning formula.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:

Chefe posted a review. The review was criticized. Chefe couldn't handle the criticism. First, he lashed at Fallout. When that didn't work, he pretended that the entire thing was a clever joke that nobody got.

That's the whole point. In certain online circles, "I DID IT AS A SOSHUL EXPERIMENT" has become a battle cry for those finding themselves having to back pedal rapidly after being dogpiled/ridiculed. "Thanks, guys, I did it as a social experiment for Psych 101!"

Micmu

Magister
Meh. ExMonk's "soshul xperiment" was way better than this will ever be.

Also, just like Trash said, using the words "Hivemind" and "Codex" together automatically makes one a dumbass.

Oh, on topic: tl;dfc

Vault Dweller said:

Time for the "weasel" tag?
No, time for you to come back to the good ol' Codex.

As for Chefe's review, it did smack of trolling from the very start. You could be right of course, and it's simply a matter of plausible deniability.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What I ask myself is, was the game really worth all this drama? If after all that's been said and done, it comes out that F3 is as mediocre and uninspiring as the company that made it, isn't this exactly what people expected beforehand?

When I came to the codex I was still looking forward to Oblivion, but it turned out the codex had made a farsighted prediction that it would be crap, and that impressed me (as it turned out to be crap). But at the moment I find myself much less attached to the codex. Before this shit started, the fronts were clear, I saw this as the right place for individuals like myself who were pissed off by the hipocrisy and mediocrity of the internet, at the same looking for honest reviews of new and old games, and were finally able to discuss without a filter.

What is this place now? Will people now forever have to weigh their words if they think a certain game is crap? Because they have to be careful about what goes on behind the scenes, lest they be attacked by another faction, or just some opportunists? Me thinks you might as well close down the site if that is the case.

In that spirit: Fallout3 = Bethesda = consoles = the gaming industry = suck major ass, that still stands. I'm not going to arrange with the situation, because I love games. Don't sell out the codex because you can't make up you mind about "Fallout" 3.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought it was obvious Chefe had been trolling ever since he switched back to his main account.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
same here, while not as obvious as most trolling attempts, this review by chefe had quite a few moments where people should have stopped and thought about it for a second whether its not clever satire - least that was my impression. the "you have to be american" part almost screamed in my face that chefe s having fun.

and whats the big deal anyhow ? if you read the threads about the codex half the people hate it just as much as 4y ago because its made by bethesda and rapes the fallout setting. and the other half says its an enjoyable game but not a great fallout game nor a great RPG.

whats the big deal about it ? unlike on mainstream sites nobody s reallly claiming that fallout 3 is a masterpiece of RPG or a worthy sequel to fallout here..... some enjoy it as post-apoc hiking simulator or whatever you call it and thats it.
not sure about english forums but on the german gamestar forums people are praising FO3 as the messias of roleplaying with great writing, fantastic VATS etc. .....

i want to read intelligent reviews, not nerdrage. stuff thats lists both good and bad sides of games, not that "everything is great" gamespot shit nor that "everything sucks" shit certain codex posters love.

made

Arcane
Xor said:
I thought it was obvious Chefe had been trolling ever since he switched back to his main account.
You know, it's sometimes hard to tell if someone's trolling or a genuine idiot without following their entire post history.

The issue is not with Chefe, but with DU putting the drivel on the frontpage "for the lulz". I mean, I shouldn't have to go to an obscure Hungarian site to read a proper review while the prestigeus Codex magazine, supposedly THE place for critical RPG reflection, posts some embarassing nonsense.

St. Toxic

Arcane
It's next-gen, what are you gonna do eh? Can always attempt to repopulate DAC if you feel that this is the last straw. :cool:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
made said:
The issue is not with Chefe, but with DU putting the drivel on the frontpage "for the lulz".
Actually the "interim lulz" is because I expected Chefe's review would generate e-DRAMA not because of the review but because it's Chefe. The re-action has fairly well typified that. In short, I expected it and it doesn't concern me. This is the Codex after all and if you disagree with something, you're supposed to go into angry nerd-rage against the writer - just like people often did against VD when he was on staff. As for the review itself though, it's well-written and expresses Chefe's opinion. Whether people agree with that opinion or not isn't an issue for me. There are a few people who expressed interest in writing a Fallout 3 review and my attitude has been to let them all do it and we'll post the ones that actually get finished (assuming there's a certain standard they meet - which Chefe's did).

The intent has never been to deliberately write an angry-nerd review that bags the game because that's not actually what the Codex is about. The Codex is about honest opinions and more importantly, discussion about those opinions. In reality, "the decline" everyone likes to talk about is because those discussions have turned into discussions about the discussion, rather than the content itself.

Vault Dweller said:

Actually the resident conspiracy theoriest set proposed the clever joke, Chefe did what Chefe does and ran with it. Chefe is the epiphany of one might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

Chefe

Erudite
Helton said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Chefe is the epiphany of one might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

:?

He means I'm going to make some sort of joke, and the response will be the same either way, so I might as well make it a big one.

As for VD and everyone gathered around his shining cock, I'm surprised you still think, after all this time, that the most obvious answer is the correct one.

Oh, and I did think your Oblivion review was complete shit. That part was true. I'm looking forward to what you write this time around.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
baby arm said:
As for me, I've just saved Adytum from the Regulators and am heading off to the Glow.
In other words, your revenge for not getting a forum for your vaporware...
Can't say that I blame him though. I mean, you gave one to Section8. :wink:

:lol: at Chefe being Chefe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom