Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Classic games that you want to play... eventually. But you just keep postponing and postponing. For years.

rojay

Scholar
Arcanum for me too. Couldn't get past the combat and the bugs when it first came out. I bought it again a year or so ago and will get around to it at some point. I also haven't played any of the Ultimas past IV, I think? No desire to go down that hole, though. With/re: more recent games, I have underail installed somewhere and have about 3 hours into it. Been meaning to get into it at some point. Perhaps the next time I'm evacuated for a hurricane and have a week to do nothing but stare at a computer screen and wrangle kids.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Its fucking crazy how many users here have never played through Arcanum. I dont really rank my favorite games but if I did, Arcanum would be number 1 in every aspect besides combat and I suppose character building because its easier to build an OP char than in other classic crpgs but to be honest, I actually enjoyed the char building/combat as a kid. Its one of the first pc games I ever asked my father to buy for me, the others being IE games and Deus Ex, all came out when I was around 10-12 years old and I've replayed several times over my life. Also, never experienced any game breaking bugs, only very minor ones.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Easily beaten if you understand the game's systems a little bit?

You can defeat golems with molotovs/other explosives or a strong melee fighter with a few regular broadswords you can burn through, I believe disintegrate works too but its been a long time since I did a magick run.

Traps likewise can be tanked pretty easily.

Then again, many people here love crpgs but are not that good at them so I suppose this shouldn't surprise me too much.

Fargus

Arcane
Never knew that BMC mines was such a noob filter. It's not even that tedious, just needs some preparation.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Fallout 1 and 2 as well as Jagged alliance 2. Maybe I'm missing something but these 3 are in my mind.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly bro, even as a child I don't think they were that tough.

If I recall correctly, my first run ever at about 12 years old was an elf magick user and I'm pretty sure harm did the job in bmc, maybe I'm mistaken.

I did I think 2 runs in the past 5 years or so actually and my most recent run was throwing/firearms based because I mostly played melee mage builds over the years. I don't recall having many issues in bmc.

I've read plenty of bs in various threads here from supposed "expert" players like you can't solo Toee, you can't solo unmodded BG or IWD games without cheese and other nonsense. Again, I suppose nothing should surprise me anymore.

Cerulean

Cipher
Ok, but just saying: come on. You can do it. All games you listed are worth playing. Start with PS:T (there is no wrong way to play it, honest!). Then go to Deus Ex. It's more than a shooter, and only a slight learning curve on creating your char. Then go Arcanum and just push forward. Put at least one point in attack and defense to start. Then it doesn't matter.

Christmas break is coming up, so I'll have some time, so I'll give PS:T a try with a fresh perspective. Thanks for the push!

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
None I can think of. The only ones I missed are really, really old from like the Amiga and C64 days and I just have no desire to play games that old.

rojay

Scholar
Its fucking crazy how many users here have never played through Arcanum.
Could say the same thing about the Gold Box games, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I love the concept of Arcanum and one of these days I'll get around to playing it. It was a mess when it was released, at least on my computer, and every time I've tried to play it since I've been put off by the very bad combat. That said I've never tried it with any mods and I haven't given it a shot in years. Lots of people I respect rave about it.

Fargus

Arcane
Its fucking crazy how many users here have never played through Arcanum.
Could say the same thing about the Gold Box games, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I love the concept of Arcanum and one of these days I'll get around to playing it. It was a mess when it was released, at least on my computer, and every time I've tried to play it since I've been put off by the very bad combat. That said I've never tried it with any mods and I haven't given it a shot in years. Lots of people I respect rave about it.

Just like with Bloodlines, another Troika's diamond in the rough, you don't really need a lot of mods for Arcanum. Drog's patch and high res mod will probably cover it. Or maybe just multiverse edition, there was a thread somewhere on the codex about it.

Generally there are very few bugs in Arcanum nowadays thanks to dedicated autism and fan love.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Gold Box - played a bit, but they are kind of too clunky and ugly to really enjoy

Wizardry 5 - probably the SNES version, first game made by DW Bradley

By the way, Lands of Lore 2 and 3 are total crap. You're not missing anything.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I suppose gold box games are some of the only really old games I'd want to play but never have. I don't think I'd go further back for the bards tales, ultimas, might and magic, wizardry and whatever else since I mostly just like tactical rpgs.

Arcanum is an exception for me and is a must play if you're a fan of the genre, imo but at the same time, we're all grown men now and obviously its not that big of a deal if you never play it, I just think you should and am surprised so many here haven't considering this place is known for hyping it up even today, 20+ years later.

Fargus

Arcane
Some games are just too old. I never really gave shit about goldbox games aside from Dark Sun, because the setting is awesome and it's a real tragedy nobody wants to do anything with it.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, I know Dark sun isn't gold box but I loved shattered lands. I'd be willing to deal with the UI of goldbox as well.

Where would you recommend someone start with Goldbox games?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I agree about the setting, its great and I wish more was done with it. Chances of this ever happening are about 0 unfortunately.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yeah, I know Dark sun isn't gold box but I loved shattered lands. I'd be willing to deal with the UI of goldbox as well.

Where would you recommend someone start with Goldbox games?
Start at the beginning with Pool of Radiance, which is the single best Gold Box game. Then you can either proceed to the sequel Curse of the Azure Bonds, which is still a strong game despite the removal of wilderness exploration and proper cities, or else switch over to the Dragonlance series starting with Champions of Krynn, since that trilogy is generally superior to the quadrology beginning with Pool of Radiance. Note that the Gold Box engine was designed for lower-level play, so it increasingly struggles to simulate higher-level AD&D as you proceed with either series, but the second games in each are quite good (Death Knights of Krynn being the 2nd or 3rd best Gold Box game).

YaIYt7q.png
pPwQdqO.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arcanum
Not so much because of terrible combat or parts that feel like a slog. I am just indecisive about what character to make, want to play technologist but i hate hunting for crafting items and keeping my inventory choke full of trash i might or might not need.
That's the thing with a technologist. You will do A LOT of shopping,but can also get very rich quickly. You can create grenades(stun and explosive ones mainly) who sell for quite a lot or you can create eye gears(your companion Magnus can also make them at level 26 I think).
You will be swimming in coin.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Easily beaten if you understand the game's systems a little bit?

You can defeat golems with molotovs/other explosives or a strong melee fighter with a few regular broadswords you can burn through, I believe disintegrate works too but its been a long time since I did a magick run.

Traps likewise can be tanked pretty easily.

Then again, many people here love crpgs but are not that good at them so I suppose this shouldn't surprise me too much.
I just punched them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Planescape Torment, Arcanum, and Deus Ex. In all of these I can never get past the first ten minutes or so, even if I'm not sure why.
Play all of them,brother.
Planescape is a StoryFag's wet dream,but it's writing and tone are all very good. Just don't expect any serious combat,the game is not Temple of Elemental Evil or Knights of The Chalice. Be prepared to do A LOT of reading. Take it slow. Grab a drink,a snack and you are good to go.
Arcanum is rightfully loved and cherished by Codex. Install the unofficial patch. While it does not have the most robust combat system,it has a great story,characters and worldbuilding. You can create an impressive and diverse number of player character builds,from a barbarian to a technological character throwing grenades and planting dynamite.

Deus Ex is a fucking masterpiece. Play it. There really is no excuse not to.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also a valid strategy which I overlooked, thanks.

The real question is, did you take the barbarian background and did you wear dread armor?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Also, have you ever played wizards crown? How does that compare to goldbox?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom