Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Released

jackofshadows

Magister
I think feats will let you sneak more places with less sneak skill. If you want to assassinate loads of dudes the perk that reduces noise from that also seems mandatory.
No, I don't think that's correct. I didn't actually tested the other ones but prowler + tunnel runner (+cloak device as a way to kill guys who look at each other) was more than enouth for me to kill everyone in stealth sections. The thing is that until you skip the turn enemy wouldn't become "suspicious" and therefore could turn around during your turn. The runner allows to approach them from any distance practically speaking so they wouldn't hear shit beforehand.

Also if not directly sneak related second wind feat is super useful for killing bunch of dudes in thouse stealth sections.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
In the Hank fight you can take out the duo by the wall for 3 out of 4 combatants, instead of just 2 (might also require Second Wind or Cloaking Device? I forget the exact threshold).
with cloaking device and proper sneak feats, you can take out everyone in there in stealth.

Without cloaking device you can take everyone but 2 characters in front of the armory and still get to the gate without engaging combat.
Cloaking device becomes crucial only at the very end, again for armory as otherwise you wont be able to sneak past robot.

problem is that sneaking support is mysterously dropped in habitat

Hellraiser

Arcane
In the Hank fight you can take out the duo by the wall for 3 out of 4 combatants, instead of just 2 (might also require Second Wind or Cloaking Device? I forget the exact threshold)

Those two guys have 360 degree red tile vision even for a character with 6 sneaking (not sure if you can get it to 7 in act 1) that already did most stealth sections from act 1. Even with fucking "Prowler" you need a cloaking device to even stab one of them, and that's before considering you need throat slitter and other stealth perks not to get detected. Like I said cloaking device seems mandatory for backstabbing autism.

Hell, look at these:

EdwsUVG.jpg

jBuL6y6.jpg

6 sneaking and prowler and you still get red tiles you can't avoid here. No feats would help with this, but of course more optimal ones for this build would make it possible not to get detected after stabbing the guys, not arguing against this build not being that good for stealthy backstabbing everything possible*. Just that beelining for cloaking, which you can get in only one way in act 1, is unavoidable due to how enemies are positioned in some of the encounters.

*or indeed that it doesn't have some other flaws besides me taking educated to tag computers and get the cloaking, 10 PER and the heroic feat might not be that good for larping assasins, same goes to SMGs and streetwise tagged, this also became apparent, still curious to see where it hits some walls and should be fun. FYI the plan is to tag lockpicking after I get 10 INT from overclocking the INT implant.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
hose two guys have 360 degree red tile vision even for a character with 6 sneaking
just checking... you can see that there is a door right? you can unlock it! Then you can take care of guy on the right, as you can see on your pic there is green path. In my playthrough I needed device only to drop 2nd of them

Hellraiser

Arcane
hose two guys have 360 degree red tile vision even for a character with 6 sneaking
just checking... you can see that there is a door right? you can unlock it! Then you can take care of guy on the right, as you can see on your pic there is green path. In my playthrough I needed device only to drop 2nd of them
The top guy? That's what I did in the end obviously, then used the cloaking gadget to take out the one with the energizer club (IIRC) from that duo in the bottom and face the last bottom guy in actual combat once discovered (or most likely pre-emptively triggering combat myself after the stabbing, to get better initiative).

Didn't mention it since my post was more about how taking out those two guys next to each other isn't really possible at that point in the game without the cloaking gadget.

Unless you meant to get to the bottom two, that path is diagonal with an obstacle on a neighboring tile and moving diagonally through such is not allowed, the character would move through the red tile in an L shaped path. Believe me I tried.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Your basic argument is that there are certain specialized feats that you'll never be able to get unless you heavily invest in their related stats from the beginning. That's an argument against specialization in a role-playing game.
No it's not.
There are tons of options for a game designer to make the player specialize a character during gameplay, without forcing player to choose from some special feats! "from the beginning" and then those special feats to be locked away forever.

And this is not some "tough choice" the way you like to put it as to feel special in contrast of some Bethesda game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Unless you meant to get to the bottom two, that path is diagonal with an obstacle on a neighboring tile and moving diagonally through such is not allowed, the character would move through the red tile in an L shaped path. Believe me I tried.
you can move around the table. Truth to be told I dont know if its possible in current build with all the sneak feats, as in whether you can move around that table and not attract too much attention

std::namespace

Those two guys have 360 degree red tile vision even for a character with 6 sneaking (not sure if you can get it to 7 in act 1) that already did most stealth sections from act 1. Even with fucking "Prowler" you need a cloaking device to even stab one of them, and that's before considering you need throat slitter and other stealth perks not to get detected. Like I said cloaking device seems mandatory for backstabbing autism.
take a second char inside, move him back and forth inplace in hearing range of the clubber but no the shooter, pull the clubber once or twice, depending on where he can look
now the shooter is lonely

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
playing Iron Tower games feel like there's some faggot over your shoulder constantly going "nononononono"

Hellraiser

Arcane
you can move around the table. Truth to be told I dont know if its possible in current build with all the sneak feats, as in whether you can move around that table and not attract too much attention
The table without the suitcase? You can't, there's a wall there blocking the path, it's hard to see it due to the indoor transparency but it is there.

JNtAdsK.jpg

With a full suite of stealth feats, second wind, charger, 10/11 DEX there might be some additional options/room regarding distractions, but with the current build I can't seem to find any place where I could prevent my MC and Evans from getting detected when luring the bottom-left basher away with noise. If sneaking 7 can be obtained somehow in act 1 it also might be doable, but I am not sure how (don't tag one skill at start, tag sneak after you hit sneaking 5 with the unspent tag maybe?). This is all of course in the context of not using the cloaking gadget in this encounter, with it and some feats I miss it's rather obvious how to do it as already mentioned ITT.

Anyway should spend less time testing this out and actually continuing with the game, want to see if SMGs and Dodge This have a decent synergy at some point or if it's going to be a gimped build because I need all the stealth feats for the assasin part, delaying SMG/combat feats, and got too much INT and CHA instead of at least one more point in CON (cloak in combat seems promising as far as not dying but still getting close despite 30 HP and shit armor goes).

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
(don't tag one skill at start, tag sneak after you hit sneaking 5 with the unspent tag maybe?)
tag +2 doesnt affect lvling up

Oh, so it's a plus 2 on top of the level based on skill points, so that it doesn't affect the level up sp threshold? Makes sense.

Does the game even have a manual for this stuff? Or is this on the ITS forums somewhere? The wiki is vague on how tagging and a few other things work.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
(don't tag one skill at start, tag sneak after you hit sneaking 5 with the unspent tag maybe?)
tag +2 doesnt affect lvling up

Oh, so it's a plus 2 on top of the level based on skill points, so that it doesn't affect the level up sp threshold? Makes sense.

Does the game even have a manual for this stuff? Or is this on the ITS forums somewhere? The wiki is vague on how tagging and a few other things work.
i know this from EA and interactions with VD. Probably explained as part of dev blog when they changed how tagging works.

btw EVERY xp bonus is retroactive, even if some sources do not state so. INT boosts too

Jacov

Educated
I really dislike the leveling system in this one, AOD was much better. I'm now pretty deep on 2nd playthrough, and while on first one I focused purely on talking so it didn't annoy me that much, now after playing with combat oriented char, it really started bothering me that the game is designed to punish roleplaying your character and push only one extremely specific way each archetype should be going.

If your PC is built for combat, you pretty much have to go murderhobo, and get in every fight whether it logically benefits you and makes sense for your character or not, because the game actively punishes you for avoiding combat, by awarding XP for non combat skills that will be completely useless, since if you didn't invest in them in char creation, you're not going to pass any important checks anyway.

I suspect the reason why we have level-by-using thingy in this game, is purely because Vince was butthurt about people gaming the system and figuring out how to play hybrid characters, by saving up some skillpoints and using them only when they needed to pass a specific check, allowing for exploring much more content in one playthrough that was intended. So the new system is successful, as it's supposed to be doing exactly what it does - funneling players into extremely specific playthroughs.
It's really annoying tho, feels like the only real decision is made at the beginning of the game, then you're just going through one of the pre-approved routes, pure spectator to the show. Well, at least writing is still good, even if the setting is more boring than AOD, so even being heavily railroaded, it's still an enjoyable experience compared to AAA RPGs. But I still hold the opinion I had after my first playthrough, AOD is simply a superior game in nearly every aspect other than graphics.
Didn't really like learn-by-use in AoD that much, because it always had this exact snowball effect that you describe: get into couple of fights at the start of the game, get combat points and never have enough civil points to pass checks in the future (unless you have high INT, then it's an easy mode). However, AoD being less freeform «wander around and get in trouble» kind of game and more CYOA, sort of alleviated that complaint for me.

I don't have it in me right now to play CS. But I'm looking forward to see what Vince and team did with their systems.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I really dislike the leveling system in this one, AOD was much better. I'm now pretty deep on 2nd playthrough, and while on first one I focused purely on talking so it didn't annoy me that much, now after playing with combat oriented char, it really started bothering me that the game is designed to punish roleplaying your character and push only one extremely specific way each archetype should be going.

If your PC is built for combat, you pretty much have to go murderhobo, and get in every fight whether it logically benefits you and makes sense for your character or not, because the game actively punishes you for avoiding combat, by awarding XP for non combat skills that will be completely useless, since if you didn't invest in them in char creation, you're not going to pass any important checks anyway.

I suspect the reason why we have level-by-using thingy in this game, is purely because Vince was butthurt about people gaming the system and figuring out how to play hybrid characters, by saving up some skillpoints and using them only when they needed to pass a specific check, allowing for exploring much more content in one playthrough that was intended. So the new system is successful, as it's supposed to be doing exactly what it does - funneling players into extremely specific playthroughs.
It's really annoying tho, feels like the only real decision is made at the beginning of the game, then you're just going through one of the pre-approved routes, pure spectator to the show. Well, at least writing is still good, even if the setting is more boring than AOD, so even being heavily railroaded, it's still an enjoyable experience compared to AAA RPGs. But I still hold the opinion I had after my first playthrough, AOD is simply a superior game in nearly every aspect other than graphics.
Oh wow babies are screeching for awesome button already.

notpl

Arbiter
In the Hank fight you can take out the duo by the wall for 3 out of 4 combatants, instead of just 2 (might also require Second Wind or Cloaking Device? I forget the exact threshold)

Hell, look at these:

EdwsUVG.jpg

jBuL6y6.jpg

6 sneaking and prowler and you still get red tiles you can't avoid here. No feats would help with this, but of course more optimal ones for this build would make it possible not to get detected after stabbing the guys, not arguing against this build not being that good for stealthy backstabbing everything possible*. Just that beelining for cloaking, which you can get in only one way in act 1, is unavoidable due to how enemies are positioned in some of the encounters.

*or indeed that it doesn't have some other flaws besides me taking educated to tag computers and get the cloaking, 10 PER and the heroic feat might not be that good for larping assasins, same goes to SMGs and streetwise tagged, this also became apparent, still curious to see where it hits some walls and should be fun. FYI the plan is to tag lockpicking after I get 10 INT from overclocking the INT implant.
You do this section by killing the guy to the right standing behind the counter, making noise so that one of the two over there notices the body and runs over, hiding behind the door until he starts to turn back around, then jumping him.

Hellraiser

Arcane
You do this section by killing the guy to the right standing behind the counter, making noise so that one of the two over there notices the body and runs over, hiding behind the door until he starts to turn back around, then jumping him.
giphy.gif

At least without the cloaking field as I mentioned, although they do move around to better positions than in all the alternative approaches, but I get too many red tiles despite the feat and sneaking skill level, so I still think the cloak is mandatory for this kind of thing.

Either that or in one case I get green/yellow tiles and can stab the 3rd guy (clubber in that scenario) without the cloak, but the noise despite throat slitter is enough to trigger the already alerted shooter who was walking back to the bottom to turn around, and instantly detect my character even without moving interrupting my turn and triggering combat, and this happens even if I try to do it with a cloak. That guy in general seems to have good PER and/or thermal vision as he also is the one who spots the body first and investigates, clubber seems to blind to notice the body and run to it himself without the bottom shooter yelling first.

Unless having ghost would allow to lure them into slightly different positions/behaviour, but I can't check that with this build. The noise of the stabbing of the northern shooter (and I do have throat slitter on that save file) when he stands at the top already puts the bottom guys close to turning around on their turn, they turn around and investigate right after I walk back behind the door (either from the walking or the closing of the door breaches the threshold).

Waiting behind the door is not an option, you get two turns before the clubber opens the door and walks to check what the fuck he heard, finding you. And the storeroom is god awful for making an ambush because the mostly empty shelves don't block detection LOS (makes sense), but do block movement.

I did however manage to find a solution be able to finally stab that 4th last guy (clubber) from stealth using cloak activated on the same turn and forcing him to max alertness to stop him from turning in my direction when I walk next to him. Only problem is the guy needs 95 takedown at full alertness and I have 85 (throat slitter and 3 critical strike). I think with ghost maybe he wouldn't go full alertness and then he could be succesfully stabbed without distractions, or if I came back later with 4 critical strike. This is how it looks like when my turn starts:

DEbD0bV.jpg

The noise from stepping on the green tile triggers him to turn towards my character, so I walk around a longer (not shown) path in the top-right to force him to turn there and then walk to stab him from his right (the yellow tile next to him turn green when he turns around), apparently he can't turn twice on one turn.

Still needed to go back and get DEX implant for +1AP as otherwise I was too short to close the door when doing that approach (not an optimal build as far as being a stealth murderhobo goes as already mentioned). Wanted to get the heart implant on this build as it's squishy as hell, dex only after/if I got the extra implant feat later in the game.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
I don't know what to tell you, man. I've done that section dozens of times throughout early access and again as recently as two days ago.

flushfire

Augur
I was only able to do full stealth there with 6 stealth, ghost and throat cutter. Took the obvious route of storage guy > counter guy > cloak > two guys. But I didn't think of doing it the way notpl described. I ended up just killing the storage guy anyway, as the CS and stealth learning points gained for killing just 1 vs all of them didn't seem worth losing the combat points.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I don't know what to tell you, man. I've done that section dozens of times throughout early access and again as recently as two days ago.

If during that attempt from 2 days ago allowed you to do it without using the cloak at any point, then I guess the issue is too much noise due to no ghost feat on my character. At the very least less noise would give my character some more wiggle room before enemies would start investigating bodies/turn around after alerted.

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Patron
This is decline game with cut content.

Endgame was clearly rushed and had passed a lot of cuts. Mastery levels (skills from 10 to 12) were cut.
Defencive skills were cut or most of unique builds were cut.
There is no Block skill, Evade is now secondary - almost useless skill. "Smart" players just roll same DR stacking builds because stacking armor is the Optimal Choice.
guess they took cues from BG3 heh

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Congratulations, Vault Dweller and the team, on the release. I'd bought early access years ago iirc. I shared this with my hundreds of Facebook acquaintances so I hope this brings at least 2.137 wishlist additions.

I will play this once my younger kid learns to sleep properly...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom