Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Released

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
murder the first guy I meet, and the game would allow me to keep rolling with it.
It's not even that, I want to follow the quests optimally, I just don't want to see enemies in a room and be forced to walk up to them and start a 'fair fight' when Underrail lets me toss napalm grenades into the room and shut the door.

like lack of stat comparison for things you buy
There's a button for that.

no disengagement mechanics in combat?
There's reaction fire for moving around too much but I am unsure how it works specifically. However I find it dumb you can't fire at adjacent targets, even with a pistol. I guess no John Wick mode.

I realized they'd changed the game from my last beta character and wondered why everything was so hard, turns out new characters get more stat and skill points now and the perks are better. Guess I should have rerolled.

tindrli

Arcane
can anyone explain me why is "Target out of reach" im trying to heal my Bro
2vvvKSK.png

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
-no disengagement mechanics in combat? I could just step back one tile and shoot enemy
As Sensuki, most likely, wanted to point out this is incorrect. Reaction attacks, which include disengagement have a percentage chance to trigger, which is normally pretty high in melee.

jackofshadows

Magister
However I find it dumb you can't fire at adjacent targets, even with a pistol. I guess no John Wick mode.
You can, switch to snap shot from regular shot. Works even with rifles. You can burst at point blank too except for "focused burst". Shotguns work best at point blank range which makes sense.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
-no disengagement mechanics in combat? I could just step back one tile and shoot enemy
As Sensuki, most likely, wanted to point out this is incorrect. Reaction attacks, which include disengagement have a percentage chance to trigger, which is normally pretty high in melee.

Weird because they didnt proc for me, just the first battle in the starting area against two goons.

quaesta

Educated
Okay so Colony Ship has guns, an interesting combat system with cover, stealth, feats, tons of replayablity with the different builds you can come up with, great music, improved graphics, exotic creatures like jellyfish, and tighter story that focuses on factions.
I think it's non-human enemy design is a great strength on the game's setting. Each one isn't just some alien or beast, they come from research. Frogs to ward off pests, worms that act as guard dogs, etc etc. It brings the setting around that makes it feel like ship is from Earth, but over the span of decades became corrupted from hubris and time.
Shame there's no dogs. They got a city named after Detroit in Colony Ship, but it has no polluted water or berserker dogs.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
worms that act as guard dogs
Oh yeah Ol' Bub's build up was great. You read the different lore on how this creature was supposed to protect the colonists on Proxima. The different biology that inspired the predator. The amount of time the researchers spent perfecting this killer. Only for it to turn against the ship borne, becoming a hunter on the ship, attacking humans, destroying rooms, snatching up any poor person that walks past its territory and dragging them down below the ruins to feast upon.

There's also the Creepers - those ones are disgusting. Don't remember what the goal behind Creepers was but they are gross and deserve to be flamethrowed to death.

raeven

Educated
Okay so Colony Ship has guns, an interesting combat system with cover, stealth, feats, tons of replayablity with the different builds you can come up with, great music, improved graphics, exotic creatures like jellyfish, and tighter story that focuses on factions.
I was asking about the internal shit you mentioned lol :lol:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
worms that act as guard dogs
Oh yeah Ol' Bub's build up was great. You read the different lore on how this creature was supposed to protect the colonists on Proxima. The different biology that inspired the predator. The amount of time the researchers spent perfecting this killer. Only for it to turn against the ship borne, becoming a hunter on the ship, attacking humans, destroying rooms, snatching up any poor person that walks past its territory and dragging them down below the ruins to feast upon.

There's also the Creepers - those ones are disgusting. Don't remember what the goal behind Creepers was but they are gross and deserve to be flamethrowed to death.
I am amazed by your enthusiasm, I liked the game for sure and the Creepers are disgusting but you talk about the game as if it was breaking amazing new ground, which I am inclined to disagree.
Even If i like the game.

Maybe I am just getting old.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am amazed by your enthusiasm, I liked the game for sure and the Creepers are disgusting but you talk about the game as if it was breaking amazing new ground, which I am inclined to disagree.
It's fine to dislike the game, this is Codex after all. Chances are, something that I love very dearly is going to get trashed on. With that said is it going to revolutionize the RPG genre by breaking new ground, probably not; did it revolutionize my little heart with its well made content and exciting gameplay, yep, and that's all that matters.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
They ran out of money. They paid all the contractors and didn't rush development, but the core team themselves worked without receiving a single penny.

raeven

Educated
They ran out of money. They paid all the contractors and didn't rush development, but the core team themselves worked without receiving a single penny.
Goddam that is rough.

I hope things are looking up for you after release, VD. You got my $30, at least.

Humanophage

Arcane
Seems like the current peak players is 1431. AoD's was 703. Underrail had 1968 but only a few years after the initial release. ATOM RPG had 2916. WOTR had 46563.

raeven

Educated
Seems like the current peak players is 1431. AoD's was 703. Underrail had 1968 but only a few years after the initial release. ATOM RPG had 2916. WOTR had 46563.
Damn, I thought AoD would have been a bigger deal than colony ship because there was more press leading up to it and more reviews as well.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Damn, I thought AoD would have been a bigger deal than colony ship because there was more press leading up to it and more reviews as well.
CS is getting more coverage from youtubers than AoD got.

Also they're on the radar now since it's their third game. That means they already had an established fanbase. It helps bringing more players in, from word of mouth if anything.

oscar

Arcane
I built a combat-focused hammer user (charisma my dump stat, but used a perk at level 3 to pick up Faythe) and enjoying it so far.

Does seem to be rather a lack of blunt weapons. My companions are getting fancy guns while I'm stuck with my rusty sledgehammer (that's quite inaccurate and even when it does hit isn't that spectacular). Hell I swear sometimes I get better results with the starting 20 buck hammer I use as a side weapon for when the AP doesn't match). Maybe time to take a trip to the Armory?

Not sure if combat is easier in this one or I've just gotten a better 'feel' for the engine after AoD and Dungeon Rats. Some fights have taken a couple of reloads so balance is probably about right.

The characters and setting feels a bit less memorable than AoD but there's some juicy plot hooks I'm curious about. Maybe just fundamentally I prefer the ancient world to sci-fi.

I like it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I stopped playing mostly because I didn't find enough enjoyment out of the game, unlike AoD. Oh well, it's just a matter of taste.

At the end of the day, being a man of principal is the only real thing you can control in gamedev, so :salute:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So... I can't get the heroic feats (unlocked by reaching 10 in stats) while playing the game?

This game is encouraging min maxing right from the start.

What's the logic of this shit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom