Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crown Wars: The Black Prince - historical fantasy turn-based tactics from Naheulbeuk devs - coming May 23rd

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_f0e004f02182e37fb28d4e1dcd091c77806cc5a2.600x338.jpg
ss_39397a8e43438ba0a415cb8f9b8fe19f98a65365.600x338.jpg

As the fighting rages in the Hundred Years' War, you are the head of a noble family seeking glory in this tactical turn-based strategy game. Fight enemy factions and battle an evil force that has corrupted the highest echelons of power and is exploiting the conflict for its own gain through a violent and mysterious cult.

From your castle – your seat of operations – recruit, equip and train your soldiers to fight your enemies and protect the population. Build your squads to suit your needs as you set out to find the source of the Evil and thwart the malevolent plot.

Your management and diplomacy skills will be put to the test. Upgrade your castle, forge ties with other families, and manage your resources wisely.

With the world on the brink of collapse, there can only be one solution: Evil must be defeated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This gets bonus points from me for being a game set in the Hundred Years War that doesn't feature Joan of Arc or Henry V.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played by James Purefoy in the fun 2001 Heath Ledger medieval film A Knight's Tale:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hopefully this will be more like Xcom with expandable soldiers than Expeditions: Vikings where they are all heroes that never die.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hopefully this will be more like Xcom with expandable soldiers than Expeditions: Vikings where they are all heroes that never die.
Considering it's the same studio behind The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk, I'd say the latter is far more plausible.

Also, all the (admittedly few) battles shown in the trailer use the same set of character portraits on the left, and this really looks like a fixed cast of characters:

Untitled.png

with a stealthy rogue, a champion, a defender, a ranger, an archer, and maybe some kind of alchemist. Not that it's a bad thing, it worked well in their previous game.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1658920/view/6239230128655757354
Crown Wars | Dev Chronicles: Starting the Crown Wars journey
Learn everything you need to know about Crown Wars and prepare for the upcoming playtest!
eb50e87c2e269abab08cee492dc694ac6512c38d.png

We are thrilled to share more about Crown Wars. In this news, we aim to provide the essential information about the game. The game is becoming more concrete every day, and we are now scheduled to hold a playtest around October. Therefore, please take a moment to read this news and stay tuned for details on how to participate in our upcoming playtest!

In the year 1356, during the tumultuous War of the Crowns, exhaustion overcame the King of France, Jean II, leading to his defeat. Seized as a captive by the valiant son of the English monarch, the Black Prince, the French King leaves his kingdom prey to terrible threats...

Immerse yourself in a world ravaged by knights and marauders, a realm where alchemy and wilderness has not yet been tamed and where chaos reigns supreme. Yet,And in the midst of this turmoil, within the shadows, a far more sinister force conspires, weaving its malevolent designs.
Prepare to embark on an odyssey, guiding your lordship into a battle against the invaders, and these mysterious forces of darkness.

563f25ded539cc3568e9ef5744e81ade7434a60a.png

OUR INSPIRATION
In the vast realm of gaming, where strategy and tactics intertwine, Crown War emerges as an homage, basking in the gentle glow of its influences, most notably the renowned "XCOM 2."

Crown Wars is a passion project led by a team of enthusiasts, known for their work on "Dungeon of Naheulbeuk", a distinct game that, while less mature, still boasts quality within the tactical turn-based genre. Our goal is simple: to offer a gaming experience that truly connect with strategy the turn-based tactical genre fans, who have long cherished its complexities.

Our approach of turn-based strategythe genre is marked by a deep respect for the classics, where the choices you make carry weight and strategy prevails . The inspiration drawn from "XCOM 2" can be seen as a nod of admiration, a humble attempt to capture some of the brilliance that has defined the genre.

959e373aa455ab7af3ed7aef61a154f41337c6b1.png

With that said, Crown War aspires to be more than just an imitation. It holds the ambition to carve its own path, distinct and original. This game weaves a one-of-a-kind narrative , blending the historical backdrop of the Hundred Years' War in the medieval era with a deeper, mysterious layer that entangles dark forces, secrets, and fantasy elements. The result is a unique game that will let you experience a deep/complete squad based adventure, in a medieval setting, but with a unique esoteric/occult perspective that impacts the core of the gameplay and combats."

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

a0b31dbf5e04a6d65e09fc96387b94fffd5396db.png

Set against the backdrop of the Hundred Years' War in France, you step into the shoes of a fallen lord, entrusted with nothing more than an abandoned castle . Your mission: to rebuild your domain and muster elite troops under your banner, sparing no effort against the forces of evil. But the path will be arduous, as you must recruit the most skilled companions, implement your strategies on the battlefield, and master the art of resource management, a skill especially vital in these challenging times.
Enhance your influence by improving your domain, forging newfound strength, and restoring the honor of your name.

The task before you is monumental, and it will not be easily achieved. It demands the completion of missions throughout the Kingdom of France.

19264316352b5a7d5be30eafb8eb081d1648542a.png

IN-GAME ELEMENTS: DOMAIN & SQUAD
To succeed, you must cultivate your influence and lordly prowess. This process revolves around two central components: improving your Domain and assembling elite Squads composed of the most skilled fighters of the country.

As you accomplish missions and adeptly gather resources, witness the transformation of your abandoned castle into a breathtaking fortress. The evolution of your Domain will unlock new structures, providing tactical advantages and opening exciting possibilities within the game. There is a total of 7 buildings you can develop, each of them bringing unique advantages that will increase your power and influence. We will go deeping on this topic in an upcoming news that will focus exclusively on the Domain features.

03357d05536f57864ca6f3323ce86e6816191628.png

Find the ideal balance among six distinct classes to form the most efficient team capable of confronting a wide array of foes with precision and strategy.

Each class have its own unique set of skills, allowing you to tailor your team to suit your playstyle.

Whether you prefer heavily armored units that fearlessly charge into close combat, like the Templar, or opt for more delicate units that rely on intellect wits and ranged tactics, such as the Alchemist, the choice is yours. You can even deploy loyal companions like Bears or, Dogs, or Falcons to fight on your behalf, should you choose the path of the Beast Master!

5a7b4df4e91ed74301db49b88b45c73be9c52a27.png

Watch your units grow in power and customize them to your heart's desire. But be vigilant, or don’t get too attached… for even the mightiest warriors can fall in combat, necessitating the recruitment of fresh champions to fill their shoes.

COMBAT GAMEPLAY
Once fully prepared, it will be time to unleash your tactical prowess across the numerous villages of France. Your strategic mettle will be put to the test as you embark on this challenging journey.
In Crown War, victory is a multifaceted gem, and your success hinges on your talents, powers of observation, and ability to adapt to your surroundings. Identifying the chinks in your enemies' armor will be paramount to achieving triumph on the battlefield.

Your squad will travel across France facing all sorts of conditions, battling under the scorching sun and the bitter chill of winter’s snow.

47e01ce63c2886ad07ae338bc840a43bff29d812.png

Beyond your own strength, you must consider a myriad of factors and exploit every advantage at your disposal. For instance, launching an attack from lower ground will diminish your accuracy, while seeking cover will fortify your defense.

Prepare to confront a diverse array of adversaries, including formidable opponents known as Elites. These adversaries will force you to contemplate your approach with greater care and cunning.

0fa2c316f3bd093fb871a8d6c0c21e2f6c76f662.png

In Crown Wars, every battle is a dynamic puzzle waiting to be solved. Will you emerge as the victorious lord in this war-ravaged land and unveil the mysteries lurking in the shadows? Embrace the challenge and reclaim your legacy.

To conclude on an exciting note. Crown War is set to enter its Playtest phase in October . Stay tuned and do not miss our Playtest announcement to register and be among the first players to embark on this journey! Additionally, we are preparing a lot of content to delve deeper into every facet about Crown Wars.

c8b391b16a9e92cc165f2b2251c39ee519052d3f.png

GAME

Crown Wars: The Black Prince
Coming Soon

+ Wishlist
POSTED
Wed, September 20, 2023
@
5:41 PM EEST
TYPE
N

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This gets bonus points from me for being a game set in the Hundred Years War that doesn't feature Joan of Arc or Henry V.
And bonus points from me for being a game set in the Hundred Years War that features a bear as a playable character.
In a post-BG3 world, bear as a playable character doesn't sound so cool anymore.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is sad that except for the very few titles games don’t have any visual individuality anymore. I fucking love tactics, but I can’t bother being excited about this 3d blandness that makes them all look identically uninspiring. Expeditions, Wartales, JA3 — everything looks the same: like shit.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They are looking for 1000 players for closed beta.
The candidates must of at least 18 years old and be able to read and write in English.

Enlist for the Closed Beta!
acbc784a61a489cbaf1c693067835991a37ddda6.png

Lords and Ladies of the realm, the time has come to unite against the invader and the Evil Forces lurking in the shadows.

Enlist today and partake in our first Crown Wars Closed Beta to leave your mark in history.

From Nov 6th to Nov 27th
https://nacon.me/CWclosedBeta

Jinn

Arcane
Need more historical and historical-adjacent RPGs out there. Looking forward to see more about this in the coming months. And yes, I feel like they will self-identify as an RPG before release at some point or another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom