Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crown Wars: The Black Prince - historical fantasy turn-based tactics from Naheulbeuk devs - coming May 23rd

Fargus

Arcane
Doesn't look half bad to be honest. Maybe it will be a solid nu-com clone. But i'm torn between commiting to this or trying Penis Point that has been dusting in my library for some time. Or just replaying Ja2 1.13... again.
Did you try the demo? I thought it was pretty solid and fun. YMMV though, especially since it sounds like the setting and theme doesn't matter much to you.

Yes. It was pretty good, i hope there will be enough side missions though and generic missions. And the squad of more than just 4.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Doesn't look half bad to be honest. Maybe it will be a solid nu-com clone. But i'm torn between commiting to this or trying Penis Point that has been dusting in my library for some time. Or just replaying Ja2 1.13... again.
Did you try the demo? I thought it was pretty solid and fun. YMMV though, especially since it sounds like the setting and theme doesn't matter much to you.

Yes. It was pretty good, i hope there will be enough side missions though and generic missions. And the squad of more than just 4.
Yeah, squad size in particular is a fair criticism. Don't know why all these newer strategy games and RPGs are designed for people who can't count passed 3.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, squad size in particular is a fair criticism. Don't know why all these newer strategy games and RPGs are designed for people who can't count passed 3.
I blame consoles for this.
This would really suck if after fielding 7-8 (and in some encounters even 10) characters in their previous game they will limit field team to 4.
Still I'm looking forward to it.

Fargus

Arcane
I blame consoles for this.
This would really suck if after fielding 7-8 (and in some encounters even 10) characters in their previous game they will limit field team to 4.
Still I'm looking forward to it.

Nu-xcom dilogy had up to 6 soldiers, excluding evac missions and event bonuses when the count could go to 7-8, and that game was on consoles. Nahaul-whatever (their previous game) had at least 7 characters as you said, also was on consoles. This is just some weird design choice by the devs. Especially because there are more than 4 classes, i think some will end up underused.

Hopefully there will be a party size upgrade.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
This is just some weird design choice by the devs. Especially because there are more than 4 classes, i think some will end up underused.
I don't think it's a coincidence, that once traditionally PC native tactical games started being regularly ported to consoles, the squad size started being limited to 3-4 characters more often than not.

At the same time the number of active abilities has also began to be limited, so they could be activated with just the gamepad buttons.
One good side effect of this consolezation process is that TB has finally triumphed over RTwP.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
This is just some weird design choice by the devs. Especially because there are more than 4 classes, i think some will end up underused.
I don't think it's a coincidence, that once traditionally PC native tactical games started being regularly ported to consoles, the squad size started being limited to 3-4 characters more often than not.

At the same time the number of active abilities is also began to be limited, so they could be activated with just the gamepad buttons.
One good side effect of this consolezation process is that TB has finally triumphed over RTwP.
That's horrible cost for pointless victory.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

At the same time the number of active abilities is also began to be limited, so they could be activated with just the gamepad buttons.
That's horrible cost for pointless victory.
Uh... RTS is a relatively horrible genre, so I wouldn't say pointless. Definitely a pyrrhic victory though.

RTS with multiple unique units with special abilities that all need micro would suck donkey balls, so if one side had to give I'd take TBS with fewer units over RTS with more.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
RTS with multiple unique units with special abilities that all need micro would suck donkey balls
Men of War -series manages to pull that off, even if old ass me thinks those games are too intense to play frequently.

At some point limits what can be accomplished with 4 controllable units is reached.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
A last moment delay is rather unexpected and usually not a good sign. Then again better that than yet another 1.0 full game release that's really an EA title that gets core features added a year later (like difficulty levels in Mechanicus or ship persistance/veterancy in BSG: Deadlock).

Also from the same article:

About NACON

NACON is a BIGBEN group company founded in 2019 with the aim of optimising its know-how through strong synergies on the video games market. By bringing together its 16 development studios, AA video games publishing, the design and distribution of premium gaming peripherals, NACON is able to harness 30 years’ expertise for the benefit of gamers. This new unified business unit has strengthened NACON’s position on the market, and enabled it to innovate by creating new unique competitive advantages. https://corporate.nacongaming.com/

This has to be a satire on corporate statements and MBA-babble, right? Right?

Serus

Arcane
Patron

At the same time the number of active abilities has also began to be limited, so they could be activated with just the gamepad buttons.
I'm not sold on that theory. I thought about nuXCOM1, it has 6-men squad (8 in assault missions?) and the game was released on consoles a the same time as on PC and, afaik, sold well. I'd rather blame general "casualization" - the fact that tactical games became very popular - than anything else. Which might be related to consoles but consoles are not the main reason. Might be wrong.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron

I'm not sold on that theory. I thought about nuXCOM1, it has 6-men squad (8 in assault missions?) and the game was released on consoles a the same time as on PC and, afaik, sold well. I'd rather blame general "casualization" - the fact that tactical games became very popular - than anything else. Which might be related to consoles but consoles are not the main reason. Might be wrong.
Good point. I agree that consolezation was not the only reason.
But I'm sure it had played it's part.

NuXCom was the first PC tacticool that attracted enough attention even on consoles.
So while it still had the oldskul squad size, it also ushered the whole console-friendly gameplay "optimization" decline we can see now.

Fargus

Arcane

Good point. I agree that consolezation was not the only reason.
But I'm sure it had played it's part.

NuXCom was the first PC tacticool that attracted enough attention even on consoles.
So while it still had the oldskul squad size, it also ushered the whole console-friendly gameplay "optimization" decline we can see now.

I remember 1st nuxcom also having problems with soldier controls because it was made with console gaypads in mind.

boot

Prophet
ayoo, he called the black prince but he ain't black! shieeeet

Fargus

Arcane
Tactical battles, medieval nigger knights, wombyn warriors, bears. This game has everything to succeed in 2024.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
medieval nigger knights
That's just a native from Marseille.
I have a suspicion they've realized they game is not good enough (not as good as Nahblabla for certain) to stand on it's own.

So they took the extra time to double down on bringing it up to modern standards with DEI shit, so they could at least score some brownie points and blame the failure on racists and misogynists gamers.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, but unless they completely change the char creation/recruitment from how it worked in the demo, you can simply filter out all the stronk wahmins and niggers - all this retardation will likely be optional. In any case that isnt an excuse for having this shit in the game at all though...

Fargus

Arcane
Yeah, but unless they completely change the char creation/recruitment from how it worked in the demo, you can simply filter out all the stronk wahmins and niggers - all this retardation will likely be optional. In any case that isnt an excuse for having this shit in the game at all though...

You can filter your ranks, but there will be wombyn and nogs among hostile factions. Wasn't in the demo, but i saw it in the factions trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom