Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crown Wars: The Black Prince - historical fantasy turn-based tactics from Naheulbeuk devs - coming May 23rd

Harthwain

Magister
This gets bonus points from me for being a game set in the Hundred Years War that doesn't feature Joan of Arc or Henry V.
Still has female warriors though:

ss_716cc2d39d9ee884529e5caa126566316d7e9e16.jpg

Aside from that, I like what I am seeing. Could be :d1p:. We shall see.

Also, all the (admittedly few) battles shown in the trailer use the same set of character portraits on the left, and this really looks like a fixed cast of characters:
Could be they just lack more unique models, too. Look at the screenshot above. You will find two "Alizie" characters (most likely women) and Alizie and Agathe seem to share the same face model.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In a country consumed by chaos, where war rages in every corner of the land, an even greater menace lurks in the shadows.

This malevolent force conceals itself behind the veil of despair and rage, advancing stealthily, orchestrating every move of the enemy. Beware, for winning the war is far more crucial than it may initially seem. Beware of the Order.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Coming March 7th: https://www.gamespress.com/LEARN-about-the-origin-of-evil-in-crown-wars-the-black-prince

Lesquin, 1 December 2023 – Following the initial presentation of the game during Gamescom 2023, NACON and Artefacts Studio are pleased to release a new trailer revealing one of the key aspects of the game's lore in a video exclusive revealed on 30 November during the PC Gaming Show.
The release date for Crown Wars: The Black Prince has been brought forward, and it will now be available from 7 March, 2024, on PC, PS5™ and Xbox Series X|S.

Artefacts Studio, the company behind the highly appreciated The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos, which has achieved 88% positive reviews on Steam, is back with a new release that will delight fans of turn-based strategy and tactics games.

In Crown Wars: The Black Prince, the player dives into the Hundred Years' War, which embroiled several royal families in bloody conflict, with the crown of the most powerful kingdom of the West as the prize. But that is without taking a powerful Evil into account, one that can change History. A secret and diabolical organisation is sewing chaos throughout the kingdom in its quest for power.

In these troubled times, the game lets you play as a young lord from one of 4 families that have fallen out of favour, each with particular skills and its own history that is revealed as the game progresses. Guided by the mysterious alchemist Nicolas Flamel, you must restore your lands to their former glory and lead the fight against brigands, knights and the henchmen of the Order, the dark power behind the reign of terror. In order to liberate the kingdom from invasion and corrupting evil, you must recruit, equip and train squads of companions comprised of the 6 classes of soldiers available in the game. Without you, the war is lost. You are the last hope of the Brotherhood of Light.

--

Crown Wars: The Black Prince will be available on PC, PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S from 7 March, 2024. The Nintendo Switch™ version will be available shortly afterwards.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn, I will wait on this. My only pre-ordered game of 2024 comes out on March 8.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn, I will wait on this. My only pre-ordered game of 2024 comes out on March 8.
What's that?
JRPG inspired by Ogre Battle, named Unicorn Overlord. Unfortunately, no PC version announced.

Main guy of the studio is a funny chad. This is how he handled Jason Schreier when he complained that the studio creates sexualized women in their games (Insteat of kneeling, and begging for forgiveness):
original1.png

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Beast master? Bear? I have heard something about bears and sex in computer games before, can't remember where...

Jokes aside, It looks somewhat interesting. Women combatants n a half-historical(ish) setting are retarded and decline but, unfortunately, not unexpected. Otherwise, worth waiting how it will turn out.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1658920/view/4051619365789896430
Crown Wars | Free Demo Steam Next Fest
d6d66de2ce00299a31ad2cb369218d84163f57c4.png

Hi everyone,

We are thrilled to showcase Crown Wars during the Steam Next Fest. The game is set to release in March, and we hope you will have a lot of fun trying it.

The demo will concentrate on the beginning of the game, providing an estimated 2 to 3 hours of playtime. It will emphasize the main quest, so we deactivated secondary quests for this demo. However, rest assured that we do have additional content in the game.

Demo Content:
  • Tutorial
  • Mission 1 - Saint Martin's Sacking
  • Mission 2 - Black Monday

Even though we are close to the release, there are still a few things missing from the demo that we want to highlight:

• The game will only be playable in English and French.
• Game controller support is not completely finished, so you might encounter some bugs. Mouse & Keyboard are recommended.
• It’s possible to encounter some issues when switching between fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, and windowed.
• The game does not support DirectX 11_00 and lower, primarily affecting older graphic cards stuck to these levels of DirectX 11_00 and under.
• The game does not support installation on 32-bit operating systems, only 64-bit.
• The final dialog scene may be stuck without finishing the last mission: Closing the game and reloading the last auto-save should get rid of the issue.
• Cannot access the Game Menu from a domain’s building.
• The “Escape” input doesn’t work when the player is looking at a character sheet.

These are minor issues that will be resolved for the release and we hope will not jeopardize your enjoyment while playing Crown Wars!

The Crown Wars Team

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Played demo for a bit.

Initial impression could be summed as "nuXCOM with medieval trappings".
Combat system is pretty similar to Dungeon of the Naheulbeuk, but encounters so far (tutorial + 1st mission) have been quite simple.

Some screens:
8037c5244229515f.png

b5b3ee8ef6336fd0.png

41dc57e3234b9c8b.png

edit.
Gameplay video completely unrelated to me.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Aye, what ho moors? Guess what I did when I saw that the demo was out? Thats rite, I downloaded that shit and started to play it.

In general, I would say that the game keeps originality to minimum both in terms of the story as well as mechanics.

Story:

- there is a secret society of good bois who fight evil and dont affraid of anything
- there is a secret society of bad bois who can into evul magiks and shiiiiiet
- the good bois meet in a castle, the bad bois attack the castle and everyone dies... or maybe not?
- PC is a random bankrupt aristocrat whose family was somehow involved with the good bois, a mysterious "friend of the family" shows up and gives PC a small castle to run - what could go wrong?

Mechanics:

- basically a variation on the usual nu-XCOM two AP formula
- there is cover and climbable ladders
- each class (alchemist, crusader, beastmaster, rogue/Ă©corcheur since this is 100 years war after all) has specific skills, nothing too surprising here
- your castle is your base, you can build shit there, recruit new party members etc

NGL, the initial sequence of the demo where a stronk independent female in full plate armor trashes hordes of mooks with a warhammer really rustled my jimmies, however you can select sex of the characters you recruit at the castle, so faggery such as this can be limited a lot.

Anyway - will play some more before I pass final judgement, however I would say right now that it is a fairly solid game if you take it for what it is. It wont surprise you with anything, but it appears to do what it sets out to do in p. solid way. Might end up buying this tbh fam.

std::namespace

when i first saw nabelhuk my gut told me that its gonna be a good gaym - and i was as always right
this looks like utter garbage
shoveware

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
NGL, the initial sequence of the demo where a stronk independent female in full plate armor trashes hordes of mooks with a warhammer really rustled my jimmies, however you can select sex of the characters you recruit at the castle, so faggery such as this can be limited a lot.
I'm mostly disappointed in lack of proper breastplate (or should I say boob plate) option in character customization.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Discover a diverse array of units, each with its unique characteristics – the Flayer, the Gunner, and the Alchemist. These three distinct classes provide a wide range of combat options, particularly tailored for engaging in distance combat scenarios.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Finished with the demo.
There were some glitches in 2nd mission (dog taking damage sound effect repeated endlessly and game froze into last dialogue).

Next demo Vendir: Plague of Lies.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I played the demo for a tad bit under two hours and left disappointed. Sure the production values are high but what is the point when the substance of the game is just a skin of another? Crown Wars fails to improve on the X-COM Enemy Unknown mechanics it so blatantly copied while at the same time being buggy. One of my squad members died but I was able to continue on as if he were some lich unable to be destroyed. Admittedly I found this hilarious at first but that switched to mild concern since the game releases next month. If such a major bug was able to slip pass the devs with less then a month to go before release then who knows what else will.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The isometric view looks really sweet, it has to be said, but the cutscene/voice acting is terrible.

I'm not sure the world is desperate to play something with this setting and this type of simple gameplay, it isn't exactly making me salivate with anticipation. If it's going for historical interest, they've already lost that with the tiresome female protags.

I'll keep the corner of an eye on it for sure though.

Harthwain

Magister
One of my squad members died but I was able to continue on as if he were some lich unable to be destroyed.
Could it be that anyone who "dies" is merely taken out of action or story characters can't be killed? In Battle Brothers your brothers can die, but they also have a chancce to survive being struck down at cost of getting a permanent injury.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom