Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dishonored: A Taffing Codexian Review

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
As usual, Codex cannot into nuance.

Just because something is a sneaker game with many approaches doesn't make it an honorary fucking rpg YOU LARPER STORYFAG CUNTS HOPE YOU LIKE YER C&C UP YOUR ARSES FFSSADFAHSGFAGGHJADG

No, Thief-like games are obviously not RPGs, but they do seem to have attained "honorary RPG" status (notice the quotes) in terms of the prestige and admiration they get from typical RPG fans.
The Monkey Island games, among others, are also p. good honorary rpgs then.

Arguably, yes. Adventure games are also quite popular here and there have been news posts about them also. But I don't think they possess quite as many features that appeal to RPG fans as Thief-likes do.

1237379-67X76HU.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Excidium

Answer me this.

If this is a site for hardcore RPG fans, and there are other genres besides RPGs that RPG fans tend to enjoy more often that not, then why should those genres not be given some (small) amount of coverage?

Is this a site for the genre or for the fans?

Captain Shrek

I think this retardation is going too far.

Infinitron

You are usually a bro. Stop posting and everything will be forgiven dude. Thief is NOT an honorary RPG no matter how you cut it. It is a great game, possibly the best ever made and ever will be made. But not an RPG.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Excidium

Answer me this.

If this is a site for hardcore RPG fans, and there are other genres besides RPGs that RPG fans tend to enjoy more often that not, then why should those genres not be given some (small) amount of coverage?

Is this a site for the genre or for the fans?
I don't know, when I saw a link to the RPG CODEX on NMA many springs ago I had the impression it was a place that was all about RPGs. Sure, we can discuss other things here but the coverage should be all about RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are usually a bro. Stop posting and everything will be forgiven dude. Thief is NOT an honorary RPG no matter how you cut it. It is a great game, possibly the best ever made and ever will be made. But not an RPG.

Read my post again.

Not an RPG.

Not an honorary RPG.

Possessing "honorary RPG" status.

You know how some folks in certain multi-ethnic countries consider Asians to be "model minority" and "honorary white"? Same thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Infinitron is horrible at expressing it, but his point is that RPG fans seem to like these kinds of games as well so covering them at Arpeegee Codex isn't such a bad thing.

edit: make that "fucking horrible"

Thank you. :martini:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Read my post again.

Not an RPG.

Not an honorary RPG.

Possessing "honorary RPG" status.

You know how people consider Asians to be "model minority" and "honorary white"? Same thing.

you're getting theological there, old chap

soon we shall discuss the nature of the Logos

(but only after we've covered some more honorary rpg status reviews of acshun, adventure and shooter games)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Infinitron is horrible at expressing it, but his point is that RPG fans seem to like these kinds of games as well so covering them at Arpeegee Codex isn't such a bad thing.

Why does Tacticular Cancer exist, then? All RPG fans like strategy games. Therefore strategy games are honorary RPGs or whatever the fuck so let's cover them here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Why does Tacticular Cancer exist, then? All RPG fans like strategy games. Therefore Strategy Games are honorary RPGs or whatever the fuck so let's cover them here.

Well, I would say that Tacticular Cancer covers ALL strategy games, while RPGCodex, if it covers adventure games or Thief-like games, should do so only very sparingly, and probably only for titles that have some tangential relation to RPGs.

For example, in this case, Arkane made a unique RPG in the past and thus have "earned the right" to have their game featured here.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:hmmm:

If this counts as an RPG, then what about Mark of the Ninja?

Mrowak

Arcane

Get your nomenclature straight it's honorary RPG status

Honorary or not, as of now MotN fulfills all the prerequisites.

It is 2D, so according to the average codexer it is more of an RPG than Dishonored. But it's on consoles so it's popamole.

Just like Dishonoured...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Honorary or not, it MotN fulfills are the prerequisites.

Bro, I know. And don't forget it has even more RPG elements such as different ninja suits - you can roleplay a different person with a different story each time you use them.

Mrowak

Arcane

It is 2D, so according to the average codexer it is more of an RPG than Dishonored. But it's on consoles so it's popamole.

Just like Dishonoured...
But the staff doesn't like your game so it won't be covered.

Nah, it isn't that great. It's much better than Dishonoured, methinks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom