Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dishonored: A Taffing Codexian Review

LundB

Mistakes were made.
If any Photoshoppers are here and bored, and want to play with Popamole Dex, here's the project with all layers labeled: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7004074/popadex.psd

EDIT: OH, forgot I used a custom font for "Popamole" text. You can grab it here.

You have everything so neatly labeled and arranged. Makes me feel ashamed of some of my bad photoshop habits. This provides a great template for future amusement.
:bro:

almondblight

Arcane
I don't mind if the RPGCodex starts to cover other genres. I haven't been able to find a site about gaming in general that's not garbage.

Also...

You are jailed and confronted by the Spymaster - now reigning as Regent as long as Emily, the heir to the throne, is missing - who tells you that he is behind the murder because the Empire needed a strong ruler and the Empress was too soft.

Did they have a twelve year old writing this game?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Either your game is really challenging or it throws endless barrels of complex content at you, but when it's just a cinematic romp from point A to B the writing has to be good enough to stand on its own, to capture your interest were it in book-form. Failing that, you've got nothing.

Achilles

Arcane
Good review JarlFrank. It seems like Dishonored is a decent enough game, though i've seen a few video let's plays and it didn't really grab me. As for the (frankly baffling) controversy on whether the Codex should cover this game, I don't really understand how Dishonored is any less of an RPG than games like the Mass Effect series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution or, some would argue, even Witcher 2. It has character upgrading, multiple ways to finish missions, dialogue options and conversations, choices and consequences. i think it's enough of an RPG to be covered here, at least according to the modern, streamlined definition of the term.

But wait, can you have sex with a companion? No? WTF is this shit doing on my Codex, :decline: !

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I don't mind if the RPGCodex starts to cover other genres. I haven't been able to find a site about gaming in general that's not garbage.

Also...

You are jailed and confronted by the Spymaster - now reigning as Regent as long as Emily, the heir to the throne, is missing - who tells you that he is behind the murder because the Empire needed a strong ruler and the Empress was too soft.

Did they have a twelve year old writing this game?
That was my first reaction. I've even reread the sentence to make sure I got it right.

Then again, some Halo 4 reviews claim that the game is too confusing sometimes when some elements only "alluded" to, but not clearly explained to the inquiring minds, so maybe Arkane decided not to take any chances and spell everything out.

"Yes, it was me, I confess. I did it and framed you. You are here because of me, got it? So, eventually you'll do what? Yes, find me and kill me. Why? Yes, because I framed you and you are here because of me. Good boy. Go now, your escape sequence is about to start. Wouldn't want to miss it, would you?"

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That was my first reaction. I've even reread the sentence to make sure I got it right.

Then again, some Halo 4 reviews claim that the game is too confusing sometimes when some elements only "alluded" to, but not clearly explained to the inquiring minds, so maybe Arkane decided not to take any chances and spell everything out.

"Yes, it was me, I confess. I did it and framed you. You are here because of me, got it? So, eventually you'll do what? Yes, find me and kill me. Why? Yes, because I framed you and you are here because of me. Good boy. Go now, your escape sequence is about to start. Wouldn't want to miss it, would you?"

Hey, it fits with your design philosophy. Everybody knows what to expect so you might as well lay it out for them. :troll:

A user named cat

You have everything so neatly labeled and arranged. Makes me feel ashamed of some of my bad photoshop habits. This provides a great template for future amusement.
:bro:
Don't worry, I never organize or label either unless I'm sharing a project file. Just makes it easier for people if you have a huge amount of layers to keep track of.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Counter strike Condition Zero had quite a spectacular single-player campaign, i demand a review :codexisfor:

LordDenton

Augur
You know, you could have mentioned that it comes infected with Steam DRM. I had to dig through Amazon comments to find out that this piece of crap is unbuyable due to the horrible Steamworks DRM.

:rpgcodex:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's Skyway doing in there? :lol:
Ha, I don't know. How about this?
M1vOx.jpg
I like how it says "swimming in Pounds", yet he is holding a dollar :)

Also, now that it has been revealed that most reviewers are corrupt, I for one am glad to see more Codex reviews even though if said genre or game would not interest me. I read them anyway to combat popamole when encountering fanboys, without having to try the game myself.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Verdict: Shit game. Uninstalled after first level. Haven't played many new games but are they all a fucking railroad like this one?
Hey, i know exactly how you feel. I played Thief: The Dark Project the other day. The game is railroaded as hell. Uninstalled it after the first level. Linear popamole bullshitz. An annoying dude tells you to jump on crates, hit a guard dude with a sword, shoot arrows in the target - can it get more railroaded than that? Also, no isometric viewpoint and 2d graphics. What popamole bullshitz is that?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Uninstalled it after the first level. An annoying dude tells you to jump on crates, hit a guard dude with a sword, shoot arrows in the target

That was an optional tutorial, not the first level.

Faggot.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Uninstalled it after the first level. An annoying dude tells you to jump on crates, hit a guard dude with a sword, shoot arrows in the target

Faggot.

My point was lots of games are going to look bad if you're judging them by the motherfucking tutorial level. Okay, the tutorial in Dark project was optional. What about The Metal Age though? A small and 100% linear house. Nothing like the game that follows. What i don't understand, is how some dipshits have the stones to brag about their ADHD like that and supposed oldtimers brofist them to hell and back.

Cassidy

Arcane
So much apologism, so little self-awareness on one's own low standards(or perhaps drinking the Kool-aid and Mtn Dew).

I'm sticking to The Dark Mod and the occasional FM for the real sneaker games because I'm not that desperate for any game with an excuse for stealth, and I already learned how shitty console crap pretending to have it can be with Alphail Prototurd.

And I can't enjoy a shit game with retarded AWESOME abilities with cooldown plus an idiotic plot just because it features sneaking LARP. Even Oblivion and Skyrim had it.

tl;dr I'm not paying grand for a 10-hours long popamole shit, with the Steam DRM being the cherry of turd on top of the pile. Alas I'll not even not remove it from an inventory.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Faggot.

My point was lots of games are going to look bad if you're judging them by the motherfucking tutorial level. Okay, the tutorial in Dark project was optional. What about The Metal Age though? A small and 100% linear house. Nothing like the game that follows. What i don't understand, is how some dipshits have the stones to brag about their ADHD like that and supposed oldtimers brofist them to hell and back.

Your point would be valid if you hadn't said that.

Rumford Manor is 100% linear? Seriously? What exactly is your definition of linear?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom