Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dishonored: A Taffing Codexian Review

MCA
For example, in this case, Arkane made a unique RPG in the past and thus have "earned the right" to have their game featured here.

This is what I'm talking about. "Earned the right" is a bit misleading perhaps but more like, they have certain design philosophies that bleed into whatever other games they make and it sort of makes one nostalgic about it, in a "damn, they could have made a fine RPG in Dishonored's setting / with some of Dishonored mechanics". It's all about the legacy of the developer.

Shannow

Waster of Time
So what are the RPG elements of that (almost) universally praised "games "journalists" are cheap whores" editorial?

Fucking nazi aspies.

Frank, I didn't read your boring review about that shitty game. But if you really managed to keep your shitty nazisms out of it, kudos to you.
I don't mind articles about non-RPG stuff once in a while. As long as the PCRPG forum stays pure.

Angthoron

Arcane
Technically Not An RPG Codex: Tagline technically true because there are no levels to scale to.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a nice review that did make me a bit more interested in the game. How long did it take you to finish the game on your first playthrough, JarlFrank?

I didn't keep track of my playtime but I spent at least 10 hours on it. It's not a particularly long game, and you can finish it very quickly if you rush, but if you explore the levels and do the sidequests it will keep you entertained for about 3 weekends.

Stinger

Arcane
I've finished the game at 16 hours. Spent a fair bit of time on some levels, finished others pretty quickly.

It was slightly shorter than my run of Thief 2.

It's a little short at full price but I think there's a lot of replayability to the game so I felt it was worth the $40 odd that I paid.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Basically. I'm okay with Dishonored because of its lineage. However if it didn't have the pedigree of Harvey Smith etc. and the obvious links to Arkane, Thief and Deus Ex, I wouldn't think to cover it.

how's that Epic Mickey review coming along?

Fuck that, how about Harvey's magnum opus, Blacksite: Area 51? I hear he claims it has some really intelligent political themes, thus giving it an obvious link to Deus Ex.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think Thief style games naturally appeal more to RPG gamers, at least RPG gamers in the sense of Ultima and not Morrowind.

I do think Thief style games appeal tremendously to old-school PC gamers, which is often more what this site is about than RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We do have a collective soft-spot for Thief style games because it's practically an extinct sub-genre and also because the developers of Thief games carried a legacy that included some of the best RPGs or RPG-Lites. System Shock 1&2, Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis and I think that's pretty much it. DMoMM might also be included with some controversy. These games demonstrate to us features that could and should have been parts of every RPG by now so we are nostalgic about them. But also because they are just solid games.

It's a stretch to say "honorary RPGs status". Maybe we could settle on "bastard cousins of RPGs"?

You forgot the forefather of them all - Ultima Underworld.

A user named cat

So It really is coming.

3xm0a.jpg

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Also, about a Codex Thief review/retrospective: maybe Serious_Business would care to extend on his write-up? I thought it was pretty good.

No thanks, I'm a serious man, I have serious things to do. I still love Thief though, probably one of the things I'll take to my grave. I'll talk about Thief on a first date with a woman or a job interview though, definitively. It's the goddamn Dark Project, man. Back in 1998 I thought I was Garrett myself. I'd hide in shadows and look at people from a distance and judge them with a barbed wit. I still do that when I think about it. So I guess I really saved the world after all. I was really just in for the money though

tindrli

Arcane
i just dont get it.. what does it matters if bro do a review of some crap game.. if you dont like it dont follow it... on the end.. what review should we do anyway.. is there anything left to review in this quazi rpg times?

jewboy

Arbiter
Wasn't this game supposed to have been an RPG? Was it not announced as such? I was looking forward to it. WTF happened? So Arkane produces an excellent Ultima Underworld sequel-in-spirit with Arx Fatalis and then goes on to make a series of popamole action games? Pisses me off. To be fair the same thing happened with Looking Glass Studios. Thief also started out as an RPG sequel-in-spirit to Ultima Underworld, but because they ran out of money they had to change it to a stealth based action game. It really pissed off a lot of us who were looking forward to their next RPG. And this pisses me off as well. I have to wonder whether Zenimax is forcing them to make action games for some reason or if Arkane just decided that it has no interest in RPGs after all. I know Ultima Underworld is not that popular on the Codex, but this is decline in a big way.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Dishonored was shit. Fair enough that it was a good looking game and reactivity sounded like a promising feature, but the game was just too easy and the story was just too fucking stupid. It has a distinct Power Rangers vibe in the same vein as HL2, geared towards kids who haven't yet lost their naivety and in fact trying desperately to reinforce it with Disney logic. The frame-up, the escape, the 'loyalists', the fucking kid that was kept as a prisoner in a brothel rather than, say, raped to death in a dungeon; what a waste of a world, using it to sell this type of bland garbage. How about the broadcast station, placed in the charge of an obvious loyalist sympathizer who not only knows the truth about big bad, but also that he keeps a recorded confession in his safe and the combination? Security in this game is a fucking joke, no wonder breaking in is so boring.

Liked the trinkets and runes and the outsider/occultism bit, could've been developed into something quite interesting. A shame that it does not go beyond pointless monologues, hinting at something greater that just isn't there. The skills don't particularly complement each other, just take up space on the radial inventory *puke* and make an already easy game even simpler. I mean, it really comes off as a Bethsoft game in terms of formula and execution, but without being able to ignore the main plot in favor of exploration, the world, and your place in it turns futile and uninteresting faster than you can say Oblivion.

In the interest of honesty I have to admit to uninstalling the game before completing the final assignment. I just couldn't muster the strength to care about any obvious plot-twist that awaited my return to the compound. It probably involved the child in some way and other generic nonsense, and that would've made the 3-4 hours spent on this turd even more regrettable. I like to think that Corvo, after having caused some brutal, high-profile accidents, spreading plague and pestilence, rats and disease, decided to disappear and give not a single shit as the world fell to chaos and ruin.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Verdict: Shit game. Uninstalled after first level. Haven't played many new games but are they all a fucking railroad like this one?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't this game supposed to have been an RPG? Was it not announced as such?

Uh, no. Not to my knowledge at least. Perhaps you're thinking about Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, their previous game. From 2006.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Unfortunately, there's never been any chance for another Arx, because Arx sold like shit. I think they almost went bankrupt over it.

A user named cat

What's Skyway doing in there? :lol:
Ha, I don't know. How about this?
M1vOx.jpg

If any Photoshoppers are here and bored, and want to play with Popamole Dex, here's the project with all layers labeled: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7004074/popadex.psd

EDIT: OH, forgot I used a custom font for "Popamole" text. You can grab it here.

If you don't know where it goes, place custom fonts for Photoshop in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck is up with saying Arx is NOT a fucking RPG? could someone care to elaboraete?
Infinitron you down with that?

Eh? Nobody in this thread said Arx was not an RPG. Just Dishonored and DMoMM

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom