Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review English Risen Reviews are cropping up

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Risen

The review embargo has been lifted and now Risen reviews are cropping up in English. On the downside, they do seem to suffer from "get the review out the door as quickly as possible" syndrome. <a href="http://www.strategyinformer.com/xbox360/risen/review.html">First up is StrategyInformer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Riding on the success of Gothic - Piranha Bytes’ first title - the German developer has crafted a worthy new IP that provides an enormous amount of depth and scope that any RPG fan will duly appreciate. Unfortunately, Risen is plagued by a number of technical shortcomings that tarnish the overall experience however.
<br>
<br>
Lacking in polish and attention to detail, Risen still stands up as an absorbing and hugely playable RPG title. The PC version is inarguably superior to its console counterpart, this Xbox 360 iteration feeling somewhat unfinished and unrefined</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.gamesxtreme.net/x360/game/risen/review.shtml">GamesXTREME had some nice things to say</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Despite those annoying bugs and some short comings, Risen is a pretty solid RPG that deserves at least a place on your shelf. You won’t be done with it any time soon and it’s a pretty big game in terms of things to do and quests, whilst the actual land isn’t massive really it’s still packed with content and should keep you occupied slaying monsters and rescuing dragons from damsels for quite a while.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.incgamers.com/Reviews/968/risen-review-360">IncGamers took a stab</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>I must admit that, for the first few hours playing Risen, I fell into the same trap that the developer apparently did. It's easy to believe that a massive sandbox and a character's freedom of choice make for a fascinating and in-depth RPG. But a couple of hours listening to the dreadful voice acting and expositional dialogue and the cold realisation that maybe the expansive, sandbox-buried RPG has hit a next generation wall sets in.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.rewiredmind.com/reviews/xbox-360-reviews/risen-xbox-360">RewiredMind took another stab</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>I received Risen on the 17th September. The review was embargoed until the 2nd of October which – coincidentally – is the European release date. Indeed, that was the first clue that all was not well.
<br>
[...]
<br>
Further exploration finds more irregularities. You stumble across Jan next, a friendly local who suggests that for your own good, you should find a better weapon than the club you nabbed from the wreckage on the beach. He makes a good point, so when he moves two feet away from the door and sits down on a bench outside his house, you wander in and take all of his food, drink, herbs and gold. Oh, and a fine sword which you find by picking up his keys and unlocking the chest in his bedroom. He – of course – does nothing other than congratulate you on your find. Just like real life!</blockquote>
<br>
IGN meanwhile took the responsible route and have <a href="http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/103/1031079p1.html">some early impressions</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Before describing some of the different avenues of play, I think it's worth noting just how much more user-friendly this game is compared to the studio's previous work. For one thing, you actually get a quest map in this game that marks precisely where your quest giver is and where you're supposed to go, making it much easier to keep track of things once you've taken on a significant amount of responsibility. While I can understand how some of the hardcore RPG gamers who despise direction might not like this kind of thing, you don't have to click over to the quest map if you don't want to. [...]
<br>
I'll keep playing for now, and a review will be up as soon as possible. Also, just in case it wasn't clear, this is the PC version of the game I'm playing.</blockquote>
<br>
... and last up, we have <a href="http://www.realgamer.net/xbox360/reviews/Risen.html">some solid gold at RealGamer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda, the setting has been done a hundred times before and the whole thing ends up feeling like a collection of leftovers. With the performance issues, there is practically nothing to keep you playing beyond an urge to find out how much worse things can get.</blockquote>
<br>
What you use a mouse to click and move around? They stole that from Apple! Dirty stealers!
<br>
<br>
If you want more, RPGWatch has a bunch <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=13344">here</a> and <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=13359">here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>, <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a> and thanks <b>Fat Dragon</b>!

Angthoron

Arcane
Some Retard said:
The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda, the setting has been done a hundred times before and the whole thing ends up feeling like a collection of leftovers. With the performance issues, there is practically nothing to keep you playing beyond an urge to find out how much worse things can get.

The Review Review:

The thing that annoys me most about this shitty piece of writing is that it brazenly steals ideas from so many equally moronic sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After three lines an experienced reader will likely be suffering from severe reader deja-vu: the style is bland and stolen from Gamespot, the rhethoric is straight from IGN, the knowledge of the writer is carbon copy of Gamespy, and "journalism" of this sort has published more shit than the whole China produces with its collective arse within a decade.

With all these issues, and the horrible clichédness of the text, there is nothing to keep you from reading more beside the fact that it's not written by David Gaider and isn't called Dragon Age The Novel.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jupp, the realgamer-review might be the worst thing I've read in a long, long time; maybe ever.
In good old codex-fashion, I thought the quoted part must be out of context and clicked the link to find some redeeming lines in the actual review. Only to encounter this in the very first paragraph:
Tolkein-esque questing will have to face up to the legacy of Oblivion
Stopped right there, lest that reviewer destroy what little respect I have left for the human race.

Angthoron

Arcane
Tolkein-esque questing will have to face up to the legacy of Oblivion

What the hell does that even mean? Tolkien was a quest designer? Oblivion is a benchmark? Fuck that shit.

Then again, the name of the site says it all.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
It's pretty easy to see what has happened.

The studio responsible for the X-Box port (Wizardbox) fucked it up royally. They couldn't optimize the engine for the Bawks and tuned everything down to get acceptable fps for licensing by Microsoft AND to meed the deadline.
Result : Real shit console port :lol:

Because they are too dumb to set up a PC-game properly (or downloading drivers) many a gaming site/mag probes into the X-Box port/game first. So imagine that reviewer starting up a a N64 twiddle instead of the graphical orgasm wished. Then he gets pwned by relenteless wolves and Vultures because the combat system is a bit more than leftclick.
Result: Mood will drop, readiness to ackowledge good points will drop = abysmal score.

Mind you, that is a positive view of the reviewers. Now consider the real low console kid class of them.

coldcrow said:
Then he gets pwned by relenteless wolves and Vultures because the combat system is a bit more than leftclick.
Result: Mood will drop, readiness to ackowledge good points will drop = abysmal score.

Yeah like, because Risen's combat system is like the most sophisticated piece of p0wnage ever - all of Mortal Kombat's hidden finishing moves have got nothing on all the special blocks, hacks and wipes Piranha Bytes let you perform in this one. Apparently there's even cam-related control issues with the pad, good port, heh.

I'll say this much: A game like Gothic3 could have only succeeded on PC.

Felix

Arcane
they should just ditch Xbawk version altogether, consoletards just want another "awesome RPG" like Oblivion anyway.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Felix said:
they should just ditch Xbawk version altogether, consoletards just want another "awesome RPG" like Oblivion anyway.
Or Fable, don't forget the innovative game it was. Remember how your character could open crates? Now, that's what I call avant-garde.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda

dogyrw.gif

What the hell is this shit? Did they hire a gamefaqs regular to write their reviews or something?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I wonder how many of these "reviewers" actually finished the game. I'm not even talking about replaying with a different build or quest choices.

Angthoron

Arcane
asper said:
I wonder how many of these "reviewers" actually finished the game. I'm not even talking about replaying with a different build or quest choices.

What, with receiving it on the 17th and pushing it out by 2nd?

Rhalle

Magister
Played through some of the demo and that was enough.

Ran better than expected; game was more amateur-hour than I expected.

With the tropical setting it felt rather reminiscent of the Age of Conan tutorial, except that it was worse in every way.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
You stumble across Jan next, a friendly local who suggests that for your own good, you should find a better weapon than the club you nabbed from the wreckage on the beach. He makes a good point, so when he moves two feet away from the door and sits down on a bench outside his house, you wander in and take all of his food, drink, herbs and gold. Oh, and a fine sword which you find by picking up his keys and unlocking the chest in his bedroom. He – of course – does nothing other than congratulate you on your find. Just like real life!

haha, yeah, that moment in the demo made me facepalm like no other. i think risen could be a lot better if the island was devoid of NPCs so you dont have to deal with complete retardiation such as this. the female s lines were just as moronic considering she just survived a shipwreck - FO3s "vampires" got nothing on stupidity like this.

does it get better after the demo or is someone out to dethrone bethesda as worst writers ?

anyhow, as an exploration game it might be fun though - i ll get it based on the demo and hoping the combat gets more interesting .. will have to simply ignore the dialogue similar to FO3/drakensang .....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom