Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review English Risen Reviews are cropping up

Deleted member 7219

The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda, the setting has been done a hundred times before and the whole thing ends up feeling like a collection of leftovers. With the performance issues, there is practically nothing to keep you playing beyond an urge to find out how much worse things can get.

Pure lies. Chests were in RPGs before Fable. I don't know what the fuck Monster Hunter is, but 'item collection' has always been a part of Pirahna Bytes' games, there's nothing new here. Dialogue is a lot different from Bethesda; in Oblivion, the dialogue was just an assortment of titles, and things like 'RUMORS'. Here, you can have a conversation with people, and there are choices to make. The setting is a tropical island; there have been NO other RPGs to do this as far as I know. As for performance issues, what fucking performance issues? The game has been in optimisation for about a year, and it shows. I can run everything on absolute max, on 1680x1050, without ANY stuttering or lag. And I'm using a modern system. I would have thought a reviewer would be using the same; he's probably trying to run it on an old Pentium 4, Geforce 6800, with 1GB of RAM.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Matt7895 said:
I would have thought a reviewer would be using the same; he's probably trying to run it on an old Pentium 4, Geforce 6800, with 1GB of RAM.
the game stutters terribly for some people with fast machines. it's still playable, but annoying as hell.

bat_boro

Arcane
Maybe it's just the Xbox 360 review. As far as I understand it, the port is pretty fucked, although I'm playing it on my mid-range PC and it runs just fine. Plus it's basically Gothic 2 on steroids, so I really can't see a reason to complain about the qualities of the game (if you are into Gothic games, that is).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Looks like Piranha Bytes should have taken out to dinner some journalists. Or at least send personalized review copies.

Mortmal

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
You stumble across Jan next, a friendly local who suggests that for your own good, you should find a better weapon than the club you nabbed from the wreckage on the beach. He makes a good point, so when he moves two feet away from the door and sits down on a bench outside his house, you wander in and take all of his food, drink, herbs and gold. Oh, and a fine sword which you find by picking up his keys and unlocking the chest in his bedroom. He – of course – does nothing other than congratulate you on your find. Just like real life!

haha, yeah, that moment in the demo made me facepalm like no other. i think risen could be a lot better if the island was devoid of NPCs so you dont have to deal with complete retardiation such as this. the female s lines were just as moronic considering she just survived a shipwreck - FO3s "vampires" got nothing on stupidity like this.

does it get better after the demo or is someone out to dethrone bethesda as worst writers ?

anyhow, as an exploration game it might be fun though - i ll get it based on the demo and hoping the combat gets more interesting .. will have to simply ignore the dialogue similar to FO3/drakensang .....

Not really that bad , you assume the house belong to him, hes just some thief , the previous inhabitants were killed . Hes helpful cause his gang need recruits , the situation on the island is apocalyptic, you can just help yourself and loot around, many people are dead.

You can guess he dont care much of the gold since anyway all his gold go to the don, later you clearly see that guy has litteraly a mountain of gold in his lair, and theres other characters in game who have absolutely no interest in gold.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah, it isn't his house. He's a hunter and he works for the Don. He just uses the place to rest while he guards the area.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
bat_boro said:
Maybe it's just the Xbox 360 review. As far as I understand it, the port is pretty fucked, although I'm playing it on my mid-range PC and it runs just fine..
i'm playing on a qx6700 with a g8800 gts and 4gb ram and it stuttered like hell with the 190 drivers. switched to 182 and 178 and they do help a little with the stuttering, but not much.

A user named cat

Stuttering on an 8800 even with the older drivers? That doesn't sound right. I have a 9600gt and soon as I installed the 178 drivers, the game became completely smooth. Before that I had tons of stuttering and hiccups, was giving me a headache.

Maybe you have another problem. Defragged lately? Background services? Could also try disabling depth of field or messing with the shadow settings.

Black

Arcane
We shouldn't distinguish between the English reviews and reviews in other languages.
What we should distinguish is PC reviews and console reviews.

Tycn

Savant
it’s still packed with content and should keep you occupied slaying monsters and rescuing dragons from damsels for quite a while.

Considering the state of the female character models, it's no surprise that this is the case.

MetalCraze

Arcane
rtkd3t.jpg

:lol: face the true power of next-gen

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
JarlFrank said:
Quoting out of context for the win.
So you'd mantain the versions are "Absolutely identical"? It's the consoles which are screwed this time. What the reviewer wrote is simply false, and no amount of additional context will change this (vide the image Skyway posted). Also, it's quite badly written; it's just more positive than the others which makes it stand out from the crowd.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wasn't GTA IV first made on consoles and then ported on PC, while with Risen is the other way around?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except GTA4 looks better on PC. And texture resolutions are two times as big. GTA4 is still pretty weak visually. It looks like GTA:SA with bumpmapping and more polygonal cars.

That screenshot is just another proof that X360 is basically XBox1 with the ability to cover everything in ugly bloom. I've seen better looking PS2 games.
And there are only so many trees and hills you can fit into 256 MBs of RAM. Not mentioning that X360 doesn't even have a videocard but an integrated chipset which shares RAM with everything.

Elwro said:
JarlFrank said:
Quoting out of context for the win.
So you'd mantain the versions are "Absolutely identical"? It's the consoles which are screwed this time. What the reviewer wrote is simply false, and no amount of additional context will change this (vide the image Skyway posted). Also, it's quite badly written; it's just more positive than the others which makes it stand out from the crowd.
As DU pointed out, the reviewer meant "not identical", which the immediately following sentence made clear enough. It was just a writing error, and not the only one in the review. I mean, Jesus, Elwro, sometimes I don't know what's wrong with you, man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom