Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review English Risen Reviews are cropping up

Mackerel

Augur
ricolikesrice said:
You stumble across Jan next, a friendly local who suggests that for your own good, you should find a better weapon than the club you nabbed from the wreckage on the beach. He makes a good point, so when he moves two feet away from the door and sits down on a bench outside his house, you wander in and take all of his food, drink, herbs and gold. Oh, and a fine sword which you find by picking up his keys and unlocking the chest in his bedroom. He – of course – does nothing other than congratulate you on your find. Just like real life!

haha, yeah, that moment in the demo made me facepalm like no other. i think risen could be a lot better if the island was devoid of NPCs so you dont have to deal with complete retardiation such as this. the female s lines were just as moronic considering she just survived a shipwreck - FO3s "vampires" got nothing on stupidity like this.
Um, that guy doesn't actually live there, isn't he just stationed in front of the house to keep watch. It's an abandoned and trashed house.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mackerel said:
Um, that guy doesn't actually live there, isn't he just stationed in front of the house to keep watch. It's an abandoned and trashed house.
pretty much, he also mentions that he picked the post because it lets him watch the storms, but i guess reading and comprehending is too difficult for some people.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Mackerel said:

yeah, the review got that part wrong. doesnt really change though that this guy is telling a complete stranger where the next weapon is.

Black_Willow

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
Mackerel said:

yeah, the review got that part wrong. doesnt really change though that this guy is telling a complete stranger where the next weapon is.
By saying "try to look around, maybe you'll find something"?

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Eurogamer review stuff

The map is similarly obtuse, making simple navigation a needless chore. Maps must be found or earned, but only appear as static images. You can't highlight areas of interest to see what they are, and there are no waypoints or fast travel. Even more irritating, the vital function of finding a quest objective is buried under a sequence of menu navigations that must be performed every time you check the map. So you open the map and, since there's no single active quest, navigate across the various quest factions in the left-hand window and then down through an ever-expanding list to the quest you want to locate. You then have to use the right-hand window to scroll over to the quest map, which simply shows your location as an arrow, and the quest-giver and objective as coloured dots. If you want to check that you're still on course if a battle turns you around, you need to do this all over again. It's a maddening, ponderous chore that bleeds the life out of simple exploration, the lifeblood of any RPG.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/risen-review

I want more handholding to compensate for my short attention span! There is life in a quest compass that not only points to the quest but other areas of interest that you have yet to discover.

A user named cat

I don't know if the demo is different or not, but in the full game I could've sworn Jan suggested that I actually search his post for a weapon.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i liked most of what i saw in the demo, aside from the very retarded dialogue with that guy mentioned above and the girl. will get the game on monday.

but some of you guys pulling an ESF-style "lets come up with every silly excuse" for stupid dialogue is hilarious - reminds me of the wasteland cannibal vampires.
dude on guard duty tells a complete stranger to look around his post , maybe he ll find something valuable - which is indeed the case. think about it. maybe imagining the game s developer would start with B.... helps in reactivating basic logic.

The thing that annoys me most about Risen is the brazen way it steals ideas from so many better sources and pretends that they are in some way original. After half an hour an experienced RPG-er will likely be suffering from severe gamer deja-vu: chests are hidden and opened exactly as they are in Fable, the item collection and filing is practically the same as in Monster Hunter, dialogue and character interactions are a very poor copy of the system used by Bethesda, the setting has been done a hundred times before and the whole thing ends up feeling like a collection of leftovers. With the performance issues, there is practically nothing to keep you playing beyond an urge to find out how much worse things can get.

haha, the fuck ? this cant be serious, no it cant. its not possible.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Best action rpg since, well, Gothic 2. Though some of the dialogue is cringeworthy as hell and whomever creates the female characters should be shot. Also the huge amount of hostile wildlife living near each other and even right next to humans is quite silly. Probably because they made a smaller island but still tried to cram it full with content. Makes exploring quite exciting though.

How does the wildlife get along? Any animals that hate each other?

Also, how well do the humans do against rabid animal attack? I remember they did ok in G2 (the fights were amusing to watch as well. Some dimwit racing towards a bloodfly with massive swings as it zipped from side to side. Hilarious), though in G3...well, mankind was not at the top of the food chain in G3. If only the chickens and pigs had stopped watching duels and attacked their owners instead...

A user named cat

I rather enjoy most the dialogue. Unfortunately the dull voice acting and lines are mostly from your character who comes off as wooden. Don's men are mostly an entertaining bunch and I like conversating with all the greedy assholes around the island, especially the drunks.

The pickpocketing gimmick provides quite a few fun lines too, as they're engaged all through conversational distractions.

Saxon1974

Prophet
A bit off topic but....

Just went to check for a release date for Risen on Amazon for north america and thought you all might be find this interesting.

If you search Amazon for Risen, guess what results come up first?

Dragon age. Is that a cooincidence in the seach engine or is that some deal Bioware\EA made with amazon? Weird. If you scroll as the way down the page you find Risen near the bottom.

Downloading Risen Demo now, probably wont buy for a while though as I wait at least a year to play most games so they can be probably patched\finished.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Dragon age. Is that a cooincidence in the seach engine or is that some deal Bioware\EA made with amazon?
Take a wild fucking guess.

Saxon1974

Prophet
WhiskeyWolf said:
Dragon age. Is that a cooincidence in the seach engine or is that some deal Bioware\EA made with amazon?
Take a wild fucking guess.

Im actually a little suprised it would go this far...I mean I know marketing and money sell games now but WOW, Im a little suprised Amazon would allow companies to buy search engine result content on their site. WOW.

The dang demo download is gonna take a while for 1gig at 100 kb per second speed....would have been nice if they hosted on a faster server.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Amazon deleted a lot negative user reviews of Spore too, I guess that was under the pressure of EA. They reversed it because the reputation of Amazon suffered by the mass censorship.

Saxon1974 said:
The dang demo download is gonna take a while for 1gig at 100 kb per second speed....would have been nice if they hosted on a faster server.
I tried over night, still only averaged 50 KB/s and it errored out at 64%. I'm getting it off steam now, which is maxing out my connection @ 150 KB/s. You might want to try that as well if you aren't already too far along.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
ricolikesrice said:
i liked most of what i saw in the demo, aside from the very retarded dialogue with that guy mentioned above and the girl. will get the game on monday.

but some of you guys pulling an ESF-style "lets come up with every silly excuse" for stupid dialogue is hilarious - reminds me of the wasteland cannibal vampires.
dude on guard duty tells a complete stranger to look around his post , maybe he ll find something valuable - which is indeed the case. think about it. maybe imagining the game s developer would start with B.... helps in reactivating basic logic.

As to the woman, it's the tutorial-part of the game, so some leeway is understandable, whileas Jan actually explains to the player that it isn't his house, he is posted there since he likes to watch storms, he suggest the player looks around the house if there could be something useful left AND he does all this because in his opinion, "the player looks like he's been through enough already".

And on top of all that, he is actively trying to recruit the player into joining his own faction, so it makes sense that he is trying to be a nice guy - I really don't find a problem in the dialog there.

videogamer thinks "The issue is enjoyment. If Piranha Bytes hadn't designed Risen while giving accessibility the finger, then it would have had a chance of being a slow burning but absorbing RPG. As it is though, it's impossible to recommend. You're better off playing through Bethesda's Oblivion, even if it's for the 50th time." - "5 - Frustrating" (XBox)

These are the kinds of people we are dealing with. The kind who have played through Oblivion 50 times and still think its great.

Essentially your score is dependent on how much money you paid the reviewers. Oblivion is THE BEST.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Like how Eurogamer bashed the console port of Risen, and made it a review about the PC version too. All the while they gave Failout 3 and Oblibios a perfect 10/10.

So in that logic they should stop making RPG's, there are already two perfect RPG's that are the end all be all.

ElectricOtter

Lockkaliber said:
dogyrw.gif
best image of 09

youhomofo

Augur
"Hey, you just washed up on shore after an insanely horrific storm. You're half-drowned. You've been mauled by hungry wolves. Y'know what? I'm just killing time at this abandoned hut, watching the stormfront roll in. Why don't you take a look around? Who knows, maybe you'll find a better weapon and some supplies? Oh, and you'll find my camp in the swamp. We're always looking for new recruits."

"OH MY FUCKING GAWD! THIS IS UR HOUSE U R GIVING ME TEH SWRODS!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??!! FUCKING NUB! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

Lothers

Scholar
These morons don't like things in the game that are good, how retarded is that?

Cynicus

Augur
IncGamers' review of Risen said:
That you and your girlfriend (she's not your girlfriend, but you'll wish she was) . . .

A key to understanding the Next-Gen.

aboyd

Liturgist
ricolikesrice said:
i liked most of what i saw in the demo, aside from the very retarded dialogue with that guy
I'm with Black_Willow & GarfunkeL -- the dialogue strikes me as reasonable, for all the reasons that GarfunkeL outlined, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom