Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 and Unofficial Patch 1.02.28 Released

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm gonna tell you what I liked about Fallout 1,

Fallout 1: Sweet cutscene telling me shit's hit the fan! Alright, Overseer, I'm ready, I'm pumped! Aaaaand bam! You're in the game!
Fallout 2: Sweet cutscene telling me shit's hit the fan! Alright, Elder, I'm ready, I'm pumped! Aaaaand bam! Welcome to the temple of trials!

Fallout 1: Extremely few fetch quests, one of which is rescuing Tandi from the Raiders. EVEN THE FETCH QUESTS ARE DEEP AND AWESOME.
Fallout 2: Oh hai, find my book and my money and take this lunch to the mechanic and fix my alcohol distillery and GODDAMMIT KILLAP WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO ADD MORE OF THIS SHIT?!

Fallout 1: Towns are few and far away from each other and you don't have a lot of equipment. You need to manage your time and equipment at least somewhat efficiently.
Fallout 2: WEAPONS AND ARMOR AND AMMO ARE AWESOME WE WANT THE COD AUDIENCE!

Fallout 1: References pop culture. Not a big deal.
Fallout 2: References pop culture and itself. A lot.

Fallout 1: Deathclaws don't talk.
Fallout 2: (Some) Deathclaws talk.

Fallout 1: The antagonist is a COOL MUTANT TENTACLE BRAIN CREATURE VOICED BY *BOTH* JIM CUMMINGS AND KATH SOUCIE?!! OH GOD I'M CUMMING. (HOW APPROPRIATE.)
Fallout 2: The main antagonist is a super mutant secret service agent with the same name as Clint Eastwood's character in "In the line of fire". For maximum enjoyment, create a female character and name her after Rene Russo's character, then turn off the game and masturbate.

Fallout 1: Hey, Master dude? You're wrong.
Fallout 2: Hey, Frank? I shoot you with bullets.

Fallout 1: No happy ending. So what if you shoot the overseer? You're still banished. Can't live with your old friends no more. You're tainted. Unpure. Not even a virgin anymore. No wonder the Overseer is pissed off. "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO SAVE YOUR MANPUSSY FOR ME DAMMIT!"
Fallout 2: Granted this can change but *MOST* players probably got the ending where you use the GECK to create a goddamn Utopia or some horse shit. And then they all lived happily ever after and also Myron died, the end.

It goes on. I just chose to stop there.

Also!

Fallout New Vegas is the Fallout 1 of Fallout FPS games. I would compare Fallout 3 way more to Fallout 2 because of its theme park atmosphere (in everything else I would compare it to my feces).
"Look! Here's a town, built around an unexploded atom bomb!!"
"Look! Here's a town, where people dress up as superheroes!!"
"Look! Here's a town, where everyone is a cannibal!!"
"Look! Here's a town, where everyone is a little kid!"
And that shit don't stop there, hell no, it goes *OoooonNnn*.

Also all Fallout games are fucking "post-post-apocalyptic". Don't matter how many "post" you insert. Fallout are games about what the fuck happens when you drop a bomb on a world and then people had to start things up again. Like muthafucka, I had a store here, why's there no store, muthafucka space aliens, I gotta build my store again. Fast-forward to the events of Fallout 1 and that guy has fixed up his store and the world is rebuilding. There's no such thing as "after after the apocalypse". Time just simply passes but everything remains POST. Please, can we please all agree on the language we've chosen to communicate in on this shitty ass piece of the internet? Goddamn I spilled my drink. Hahaha. Deus Ex reference for the ladies.

I just met Little Tod.

"My clothes are magic"

"Grown-ups talk to much"

"Sometimes I drink from toilets"

:lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Both Horse and the TBS are right up to a point. Though Horse is a little too rose tinted about FO1 and his opinion is mostly subjective preference rather than a clear empirical analysis of why FO1 is supposedly better than FO2. It was a little on the short side and spartan with little to do. Don't get me wrong, I love the length as it allows for speedy replays with different builds, but there's no denying that in many ways it's quite an austere game. I guess FO2 was how it was in part because so many whined that FO1 was too short and it was quite rushed too, being shunted out the door in a year. One gets the impression that a lot of the content was meant to be in FO1 but was stripped out and then crammed into FO2. Of course FO2 also had its own share of cut content so really one can blame Fargo for releasing it too soon. Half a year more and who knows? FO2 might have been more coherent and on reflection, some of the 'silly' elements may have been removed or made into more obscure easter eggs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enough with the lorefaggotry. How about a mechanical analysis?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

I only remember the turbo plasma rifle being overpowered in FO1 whileas there was tons of broken shit in FO2 (lol vindocator minigun, bozar etc). Perks being stupid as fuck (lol each shot you do is a critical one)
Stuff like talking to some guy, making a roll and gainimg points in luck stat, shades magically giving +CHA , broken weapon progression rendering half of the newly introduced shitty weapons obsolete, overreliance on bullet sponge enemies (lol 999hp) etc

Yes clearly FO2 is the superior gqme in every way

Koschey

Arcane
Just two things:
The Sniper perk was also available in Fallout 1 and you can get an increase in luck from the tarot guy at the Boneyard.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Fallout 1: Extremely few fetch quests
There just wasn't enough content and dialogue in F1 to reach the point where designers had to go derp. Yet they still did with Robin Hood and whole religious order of techno paladins. You can't say BoTS is not lulzy.

Rake

Arcane
Fallout 1: Extremely few fetch quests
There just wasn't enough content and dialogue in F1 to reach the point where designers had to go derp. Yet they still did with Robin Hood and whole religious order of techno paladins. You can't say BoTS is not lulzy.
Fallout setting was lulzy from the start. Whoever thinks Fallout was serious is delusional. Having said that, Fallout 2 took it to a whole new level.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
NWN1 has no pop culture zaniness, no setting breaking content, and minimal fetch quests.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In case you guys haven't noticed yet from reading his Arkania updates, Bobbles is an extremely subtle kind of guy.

Rake

Arcane
In case you guys haven't noticed yet from reading his Arkania updates, Bobbles is an extremely subtle kind of guy.
Volourn's alt, Volourn wannabe or retard?
I don't follow the Arkania threads.

baturinsky

Arcane
Hmm, so to cater for FO1 fans, FO2 should get rid of Temple of Trials, Frank Horrigan, talking deathclaws (also, plants, and radscorpions, right?), references to pop culture (it's about 1% or so of text, and entire San Fran city), Highwayman, happy ending for protagonist, and fetch quests? Well, I guess, if it will make people happy, why not, should be easy done with mods. There will be still about triple of FO1 content left after cut job.

Rake

Arcane
Hmm, so to cater for FO1 fans, FO2 should get rid of Temple of Trials, Frank Horrigan, talking deathclaws (also, plants, and radscorpions, right?), references to pop culture (it's about 1% or so of text, and entire San Fran city), Highwayman, happy ending for protagonist, and fetch quests? Well, I guess, if it will make people happy, why not, should be easy done with mods. There will be still about triple of FO1 content left after cut job.
You forgot New Reno.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
They need to remove all "theme park" towns as well -- Broken Hills, Gecko, Vault City, Arroyo and NCR. Some of the side quests could be salvaged and transferred to Redding, which would otherwise be at risk of becoming "mine town".

baturinsky

Arcane
They need to remove all "theme park" towns as well -- Broken Hills, Gecko, Vault City, Arroyo and NCR. Some of the side quests could be salvaged and transferred to Redding, which would otherwise be at risk of becoming "mine town".
OK, why not, it's not a true Fallout game, if all towns are not exactly the same.

valcik

Arcane
Stuff like talking to some guy, making a roll and gainimg points in luck stat ..
There's Chuck the fortune teller in Adytum, who can raise your luck right the same way. I'm not going to argue which is more stupid though - zeta scan in F2 or gypsy prophet from F1.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What do you mean by this? Andy already covered: quest design, inventory management, how the distance between places reinforced gameplay, and how unskipable tutorials are terrible. How much more mechanic analysis do you need?

Do you mean like the character systems?

Fallout 1: SPECIAL is an extremely simple system where 1/3 of the skills are useless, and about 3 of them are overpowered as all hell
Fallout 2: SPECIAL is an extremely simple system where 1/3 of the skills are useless, and about 3 of them are overpowered as all hell (but the useless skills are slightly less useless now)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom