Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 is better than Fallout: Shit Vegas and here is proof!

When I played FNV I was all hyped and shit because they had PEOPLES FROM TEH ORIGINALS WORKING ON TEH GAME!!1

It was a fuckfest of gameplay because of the engine and the story and humor (or lack of) was a bland disappointment. I did finish it though...

But nothing reaches the heights of catastrophic bullshit as FO4! I seriously don't know how people bear to play that crap for more than 2 hours.

Dialogs were demonstrably better, what with more depth and non-persuasian skill checks integrated into the core design.

Game was largely non-linear, added a faction system, and allowed for multiple groups to align with or turn against. I believe five core options existed (loner, side with house, side with legion, side with NCR, and another which escapes me.. maybe only four).

Companions were better fleshed out, but still held back due to engine limitations (crap AI, etc). Companion quests were a nice addition.

The game play was still kind of crap due to the engine, but I think they did a remarkable job polishing the crap off Fallout 3.

The DLC-as-continuous-substory was a nice, though subtle, touch.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Dialogs were demonstrably better, what with more depth and non-persuasian skill checks integrated into the core design.

Game was largely non-linear, added a faction system, and allowed for multiple groups to align with or turn against. I believe five core options existed (loner, side with house, side with legion, side with NCR, and another which escapes me.. maybe only four).

Companions were better fleshed out, but still held back due to engine limitations (crap AI, etc). Companion quests were a nice addition.

The game play was still kind of crap due to the engine, but I think they did a remarkable job polishing the crap off Fallout 3.

The DLC-as-continuous-substory was a nice, though subtle, touch.

I say FNV was bland compared to FO1 and FO2.

Yes it was better than FO3 ofc. although that's not a very prestigious accolade I'd say.

Oh, yeah.. no arguments there. Does anybody claim it was even remotely in the ballpark of FO1 and 2? Hell, even Tactics was deeper.

It was a better RPG, mechanically speaking, than anything Bethesda has done in 3d, however. It had its moments.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I really wouldn't call New Vegas "bland" as it actually surpasses FO1 and 2 on several areas, like the faction system and the reactivity that stems from it, the structure of the main quest and the continuous support for different playstyles — and these aren't just minor things but some of the biggest strengths of the whole series. The quest design is also pretty damn impressive at times, although there are also some weaker moments in the mix, which can be mostly forgiven due to the sheer scope of the game. Of course, it's also notably worse than the originals in several areas, partly because there's still so much FO3 in it from the RPG mechanics to the gameplay and of course the godawful engine itself, but then again, there probably isn't an RPG out there that doesn't have some horrible flaws.

Personally I don't really rate the NV DLCs that highly, as even though they're lots of fun, they don't really have any of the biggest strengths of the main game, being tighter and more focused games with much less freedom.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
I don't say FNV is bland because of the engine alone. Although I concede that reactivity and design complexity are all good aspects of an rpg, I feel like FO1&2 were written by more inspired people and I chuckle constantly at dialogues and quests. I didn't find that same level of inspiration while playing FNV and the stuff npcs would say just came off as pretentious and really not that funny.

I do concede that humor is subjective and the fact that I see FO1&2 so high up in my favorite games may have some effect in the way I perceive the franchise. Although I feel the same with PoE. So, I'm sry, but the guys at Obsidian are needing some fresh blood on the typewriters.

(But since I appear to be the only dumbass shitposter thinking this way, it's all good)

(Fuck pc games nowadays)

Endemic

Arcane
I don't say FNV is bland because of the engine alone. Although I concede that reactivity and design complexity are all good aspects of an rpg, I feel like FO1&2 were written by more inspired people and I chuckle constantly at dialogues and quests. I didn't find that same level of inspiration while playing FNV and the stuff npcs would say just came off as pretentious and really not that funny.

Fallout 1's humour was mostly of the black variety (excepting special encounters and a few scattered pop culture references). Well, unless you play with <4 INT, in which case even the tutorial character (Katrina) sarcastically mocks you for being stupid.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't say FNV is bland because of the engine alone. Although I concede that reactivity and design complexity are all good aspects of an rpg, I feel like FO1&2 were written by more inspired people and I chuckle constantly at dialogues and quests.
Fallout 2 was a rushed sequel that ended up arguably harming the integrity of the setting (and retroactively turned Fallout 1's story about the burdens of heroism into a cartoonish tale about how that meddlesome Vault Dweller almost ruined the government's evil experiments), filled with loads of questionable pop culture references. As fun as the game is, it's hardly a triumph of writing.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Fallout 2 was a rushed sequel that ended up arguably harming the integrity of the setting (and retroactively turned Fallout 1's story about the burdens of heroism into a cartoonish tale about how that meddlesome Vault Dweller almost ruined the government's evil experiments), filled with loads of questionable pop culture references. As fun as the game is, it's hardly a triumph of writing.

It's not a Hermann Hesse book, but it's fun!

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The modern Penis Falling Out games are all about pew-pew'ing the mobs, and whoopy dee doo, 'course FO4 is better at it.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
After arriving in San Fransisco it's pretty evident that the development was rushed. Other than that, it seemed well developed and the story is written down long before anyone starts making a game. It's not like pop-culture references make themselves. Fallout 2 was supposed to be and play exactly like it was, there's no indication of some darker story being untold because of time constraints. Where did you get that from?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
yeah, come to think of it, wasn't it tim cain and co who wrote the bulk of fo2's story, including the enclave and shit

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I use metacritic quite a lot when pondering what games to buy. I hate that Steam decided to remove the facility to see the metacritic average when browsing through games.

Why? It is another information source. I won't even say it is less legitimate than the Steam reviews. I would say it is more helpful than the professional reviews. C'mon - when have those professionals ever given anything a bad score? Some of these "experts" were in nappies when Fallout 1 came out. I hate most of them probably play most of their games on consoles. I believe it.

My personal baggage and Codex thoughts are useful. But even on codex views can vary by huge margins.

A lot of the negative reviews on metacritic about Fallout 4 are quite in depth and interesting to read. Some of these guys expected New Vegas 2. Maybe they were stupid.

Apparently going backwards from New Vegas gives you higher grades from the professionals. They sold out.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The modern Penis Falling Out games are all about pew-pew'ing the mobs, and whoopy dee doo, 'course FO4 is better at it.
This. I don't fucking care if quests are good in New Vegas, since I can't stomach the graphics and gameplay. Shooter gameplay in FO4 is quite fun in comparison, and 1st person real time RPGs don't know which genre they try to belong to anyway (let me hide behind that rock so the dumb AI won't reach me and I can heal or pew pew arrows/bullets at it), at least FO4 knows.
A competent shooter with good faction mechanics and story C&C would be swell though.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
I'd like to point out that metacritic is a garbage machine, look at dota 2

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dota-2/user-reviews

it has 6.0 user score , look how many steam players it has.

If you look at the reviews, pretty much all negative reviews are a bunch of mentally weak children whining about people being mean on the internet with the occasional Riot fanchild.

It's actually amazing that it's as popular as it is in the first place. It has everything that mainstream gamers hate, but for some reason a lot of them like complexity and lack of handholding when it's in Dota 2. Kind of like the Souls games. They really shouldn't be popular, but they are.

Last edited:

Zerginfestor

Learned
I'd like to point out that metacritic is a garbage machine, look at dota 2

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dota-2/user-reviews

it has 6.0 user score , look how many steam players it has.

If you look at the reviews, pretty much all negative and positive reviews are a bunch of mentally weak children whining about people being mean on the internet with the occasional Riot fanchild.

It's actually amazing that it's as popular as it is in the first place. It has everything that mainstream gamers hate, but for some reason a lot of them like complexity and lack of handholding when it's in Dota 2. Kind of like the Souls games. They really shouldn't be popular, but they are.

fixed that for ya, along with the positive reviews at times being shilling whores that try to paint Fallout 4 as this 'fucking epic lel gaem that was touched by the Game Gods'.

Red Rogue

Learned
A lot of the negative reviews on metacritic about Fallout 4 are quite in depth and interesting to read. Some of these guys expected New Vegas 2. Maybe they were stupid.

The removal of mechanics in Morrowind was debatably due to the jump to 3D.
When Oblivion came around, I still wasn't quite alarmed.
FO3 set a standard, with nothing to compare it to.
Then Skyrim came....
and now Fallout 4.

Annnnnnnd I'm at the point where I've accepted that Bethesda does not make RPGs anymore. They make action adventure games with an inventory system.

It'd be interesting to see if Bethesda would be open to handing the IP off to a different company, not necessarily Obsidian, for another go while they work on TES6.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
It'd be interesting to see if Bethesda would be open to handing the IP off to a different company, not necessarily Obsidian, for another go while they work on TES6.

I'd be happy if they just hired 2 non retards to write the dialogs and story, so I could try and endure the clunky gameplay long enough to get a few hours out of it.

buzz

Arcane
The "x is not an RPG" meme needs to die. You don't get to bitch about nomenclature when 90% of all RPGs out there wouldn't fit your narrow bullshit definition anyway.

Seriously, can't you people just say it's an extremely shitty RPG and leave it at that? It's not gonna "taint" the word, many of the world's worst games already are "RPGs" in the first place.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm actually feeling nauseated by all this Fallout 4 shit. The game is so shitty and there is just non-stop discussion / screenshots of it.
Every time I hear the name I wanna throw up..

Red Rogue

Learned
I'd be happy if they just hired 2 non retards to write the dialogs and story, so I could try and endure the clunky gameplay long enough to get a few hours out of it.

What I don't get is why they fell back on "GOTTA FIND MY FAMILY" again after they visited that in FO3. What were they thinking? It's pretty stale.
Also whoever makes the next entry, if Bethesda hands it off, hopefully they don't hold your hand so much. I feel genuinely embarrassed playing this game because the quest markers are somehow MORE revealing than previous Bethesda games.

I access Metacritic semi regularly but I ignore the numerical score (crutch for lazy kids and fodder for fanboi warz), there often are decent reviews among the trash. Steam user reviews also became more usable since they introduced the "funny" rating and the joke reviews aren't all at the top of the list anymore.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Oh, yeah.. no arguments there. Does anybody claim it was even remotely in the ballpark of FO1 and 2? Hell, even Tactics was deeper.

I do. I propably will get burned on the stake now but i actually see it on par with Fallout1 and 2, as they all have qualities which put them apart from eachother.

Fallout1 was a great introduction to the setting and had the most believable gameworld, but was too short and lacked content and proper challenge. Fallout2 improved on gamemechanics, difficulty balance, had more high quality content, but drifted off into sillyland sometimes. Fallout New Vegas is the biggest game, the best writing (imho), most detailed gameworld, but inherited some of Fallout3s decline (enemy levelscaling, though reduced, lack of pacing as lewting and throwing away stuff cause youre overburdened takes away way too much fucking time)

Just cant put my finger on what part of the series i like most.
Its like with Godfather. You know Godfather 3 (like Fallout3) is shit, but to decide wether Godfather1 or 2 is better? No fucking way.
So my weird List of preferation is:

Fallout2=Fallout=Fallout NV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fallout4 (i guess) > Fallout3

Never played Fallout Tactics. If i want turnbased tactical combat game i replay xcom or Jagged Alliance 2. I dont have enough trust in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom