Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Do Groups even become hostile?
I know it doesnt matter if you kill Synth's but they are hostile in the beginning.
I know that it doesnt matter if you kill quite a few BOS people after you joined.

But what happens if kill a few BOS Members somewhere and go to the Policestation afterwards?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Do Groups even become hostile?
I know it doesnt matter if you kill Synth's but they are hostile in the beginning.
I know that it doesnt matter if you kill quite a few BOS people after you joined.

But what happens if kill a few BOS Members somewhere and go to the Policestation afterwards?

They only go hostile if you kill named ones like Haylen etc and the game will even inform you that BoS is now hostile on you.

Jozoz

Prophet
Even my Fallout 3 loving roommate stopped playing this after like 1-2 weeks.

After the hype dies down maybe most of the Bethesda apologists will get some sense.

I still don't know what goes through their minds. Do they just think it's some huge conspiracy against Bethesda? There's backlash for a reason.

I mean there's a reason generally good non controversial companies never get any serious bad rep. Because they make good games!!!

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
So the New Plague may of made a comeback in the Capital Wasteland, MacCready's son got sick with something that caused blue boils to appear on his skin and the only cure was in the Med-Tek building. Interesting.. I wonder if they're going to do something big with this plotline.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So yeah, stopped playing this around two weeks ago. I think I got far enough in the game to summarize my general feelings on the game.

It feels like pretty much every single mechanic of the game has been designed specifically to actively discourage you from role playing at all. The main character has a clear and defined backstory, a love interest, and a personal motivation to continue doing what they’re doing, all of which are completely out of the player’s hands, the complete removal of the skill system by rolling it into the perk system (which I’ll get to in a minute), etc. The way that quests are unrefusable, and how many of the quests seem to be written with a good character in mind, also makes it incredibly difficult to play an evil character farther than either being a petty dick in conversations and/or just bucking the system completely and shooting everyone on site. When you do suddenly wander in to a quest for a group of morally dubious people (as I literally just wandered in to one), then suddenly your lawful good character is a greedy hood who’s only option to refuse to partake in a heist is telling his two associates that he can just kill them and do it himself.

So the role-playing’s gone, that leaves the quests, and the quests are pretty much all the same. You talk to somebody, maybe tag a few charisma checks that’re utterly inconsequential to the actual resolution of the quest, then you go somewhere, or in a bunch of different places, kill everything that moves, and go back. This might be fine if the writing was good, but at best the writing in this game is mediocre, and this game is not at its best a majority of the time.

So if killing’s all you can do, that leaves gameplay. Fallout 4’s gameplay is, to put it nicely, a poor man’s imitation of Far Cry 3 with bland and ugly guns. It feels smooth, it feels kinda polished, and it might even give you a hard time in the first few hours, but the game honestly goes out of its way to cater to the player and try to make things as easy as it possibly can. They try and fool you in to thinking things are harder by jacking up prices at vendors and jacking down resale value for items, but surviving solely via subsistence looting is easier here than in any prior Bethesda game. Your weapons and armor don’t degrade, enemies drop plenty of ammo when killed, and plenty more can be found in respawning caches at various ruins and hideouts, every second bandit will drop a stimpak when killed, every monster will drop meat that can be used to cook ludicrously effective healing items, by the end of the game you’ll probably have enough fusion cores to permanently walk around in your capitalist rape tank armor, and so on.

The perk system is pretty blatantly uneven, too. Strength is only worth investing in if you want to make a melee character, intelligence is virtually worthless unless you’re an autist who wants to unlock everything in the game, perception is mostly situational save for a few of the early tree perks, Agility has a lot of early-tier perks that will make you an utter god of death stealth character, and almost all of the Luck perks will make you stupidly broken stupidly quickly. You'll not that I didn't mention Endurance, and that's because Endurance is so worthless it isn't even worth mentioning.

EDIT: Oh, and Charisma. Charisma exists solely for you to get the perks necessary to fully upgrade your settlements. If you're in the game for the settlement building, then you're basically crippled unless you take the level six charisma ability to link your settlements together via trade routes. If you're not bothered by this, it's safely ignorable. If you are, then pretty much the entire tree is still pretty safely ignorable.

The gameplay and quests seem to be designed intentionally to create some kind of addictive feedback loop, too. You’ll be given a quest to go to x-location in order to kill y amount of enemies, then return for a reward. That’s fine for the first few hours, but after a while you start to realize how utterly pointless everything is. After a while, you’ll realize that all you’re doing is killing bandits for XP points to make your character even more broken than they already are, weapons and armor that’re slightly more brokenly overpowered than the ones you already have, materials to further deck out your settlements that will in no way affect the game world or the story, for a reward you don’t need because caps in this game are basically worthless, and the soulless gratification of nameless helpless person #2313515. There’s no point to anything.

Guess I might as well put in a few words about the companions too. They’re all pretty boring cardboard cutouts with little depth or complexity to their character. Bethesda also seems to have taken to heart the criticisms from Fallout 3 and New Vegas that companions utterly trivialized fights, and instead made companions in Fallout 4 completely and utterly useless as anything other than a pack mule. They’ll often distractingly wander away from you, refuse to acknowledge that they’re in a fight until a feral ghoul is right on top of them and trying to face-fuck them, and are taken down in short order. Basically just keep them around to abuse their affection system, sit through Besthesda’s laughable attempts at character writing, get their perk, and dump them in some far off settlement in the middle of nowhere, never to be seen again. Rinse, repeat.

There’re so many other issues with the game that I won’t bother getting in to, but I’d say Fallout 4’s biggest crime is that it’s just boring. It’s competently enough made that it’s playable, but it’s not as much of a titanic-tier wreck that Fallout 3 was, and as many people will tell you; when it comes to entertainment, there’s absolutely nothing worse than average.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Although, helmet cars would be hilarious.

fallout-3-train-head-model.jpg

Zerginfestor

Learned
well said, Jick. I have three characters out and tried to put effort into each one, but the game literally saps the will to continue within it just by the sheer boredom it presents. Highest character is at lvl.25 and already I feel "meh, I'm broken", and not only that, but the weapons offer no real joy whatsoever. They sound flat and boring, a drivel, and the lack of variety makes this even worst. For example: Revolvers. There's literally only 2 types of revolvers in the game: Pipe revolver, and the .44 magnum. Now, you can make the pipe revolver a rifle version, take .38 rounds, .308, all that shit, but in in the end, it's still the very, same, fucking design: a rusty, orange-piss color of a pipe revolver. Once you collect one and the .44 magnum, that's it. You've seen it all just for this weapon type, which kills my character off pretty quickly, now that I have access to them.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
My slaves settlers are running a fucking extorsion con now!
Once again a settler approached me with the usual "Halp, settler #7 has been kidnapped, we need 500 caps ransom from you!" and of course I gave them nutin' and instead embarked to murderize the kidnappers, except...

...the location is still empty, aside from the "kidnapped" settler looking at me with teary puppy eyes.
WEARING COMBAT ARMOR AND A MINIGUN BECAUSE HE IS MY FUCKING GATE GUARD!

They must take me for a retard, but they underestimated the INT my authentic soviet ushanka provides! Relocated both of them to the slog. Have fun glowing in the dark loosers!

I am the only one allowed to rip off people in Prosperland.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just ignore all these stuff. Two of my locations got attacked and a bit later they recovered by themselves. I only defend Sanctuary if needed.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Last settlement defense I jumped to had me cover in fear behind a shed because I was slightly undergeared, while Curry had far more fun with Pickman's knife that should be legally allowed.

"Oh noes, I am in combat. Again.. :("
*stabbitystabstabstab*

"My primary function is NOT combat!"
*bodyslam breaks attackers spine*

"Detecting enemy, starting recording!"
*Le Zapzapzapzapzapzap*

"Combat, while dangerous, is vigirous exercise!"
*casually eviscerates enemy*

"Monsieurs enemies have been dispatched. I made a stimpack for you. Don't forget to wash your hands after looting."

Uh thanks mum Curry.
That womyn scares me. She would probably dismantle an ASSaultron while asking to swap notes about killing techniques...

Lapogo1

Barely Literate
My slaves settlers are running a fucking extorsion con now!
Once again a settler approached me with the usual "Halp, settler #7 has been kidnapped, we need 500 caps ransom from you!" and of course I gave them nutin' and instead embarked to murderize the kidnappers, except...

...the location is still empty, aside from the "kidnapped" settler looking at me with teary puppy eyes.
WEARING COMBAT ARMOR AND A MINIGUN BECAUSE HE IS MY FUCKING GATE GUARD!

They must take me for a retard, but they underestimated the INT my authentic soviet ushanka provides! Relocated both of them to the slog. Have fun glowing in the dark loosers!

I am the only one allowed to rip off people in Prosperland.

I share the frustration. Having to protect them no matter how well you arm them always somehow gets one of them kidnapped. Either I'm still missing somethingI need to do and I don't know about it or the game just randomly puts any settlement in trouble. I'm ok if its under attack but having someone KIDNAPPED from within a secured settlement is sumthin else. :o

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yup, i just uninstalled a couple days ago, its banal shit boring and pointless. Mods can fix it a part of it tho, especially quest mods with decent content but also mods that overhaul the combat and the settlement mechanics. Maybe in a year ill get a few more hours out of this game, but right now its just shit.
Thought you were talking about WL2 before you mentioned mods. :M

DeepOcean

Arcane

Hmmm, it happens that on Fallout 4, there is an army of power armors laying around, even bandits use them. I dunno what Bethesda know about how armor supposed to work but supposed armored suits immune to tank shells shouldn't be fixed by tin cans.

MrJohnson

Educated
basically the game is too easy on the lower difficulty modes and if you crank it up to "survival" every basic enemy becomes a bullet sponge for the low-mid tier weapons... at the same time they can 2hit you if you don't wear a power armor...

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Thought you were talking about WL2 before you mentioned mods. :M
As if wasteland 2 was the only game that could be described with those adjectives. +M

basically the game is too easy on the lower difficulty modes and if you crank it up to "survival" every basic enemy becomes a bullet sponge for the low-mid tier weapons... at the same time they can 2hit you if you don't wear a power armor...
And its still easy.

Sodafish

Arcane
10 power armors, from T-45s to a couple X-01s, and there is one universal truth; right leg armor is by far the rarest. It vexes me.

If you're high enough level you can find a full suit of X-01 on the top of some tower, guarded by some bots. I forget the exact location, but it's near Goodneighbor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom