Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck Relic and DoW2

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What, like that's one of their design goals on the website? "Use worse AI than CoH"

Annonchinil

Scholar
This time squads will retreat when they are outnumbered and use special abilities on their own. The thing is that the player should be doing thos things, not the AI.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Annonchinil said:
This time squads will retreat when they are outnumbered and use special abilities on their own. The thing is that the player should be doing thos things, not the AI.

Erh, no?
Nobody can be everywhere at the same time. And clicking (or tabbing) through every unit, clicking the special ability buttons and aiming at the right target, all in some seconds, would be the case of being everywhere. It's just annoying and one of the few things I seriously disliked about DoW.
It should be optional, like... right-clicking on the ability allows the AI to use it (like it is in WC3 with some abilities).
Of course, if it was like that, the AI shouldn't just throw the mighty grenade when there is only a slave crossing them ;)

Micromanagement is the essence of real-time tactics games. What you'll actually get with AI squad automation is Dungeon Siege III.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In tactic games, yeah, perhaps.

But DoW is a strategy game. And strategy means that your efforts should be on a much larger scale, not having to do every little bit yourself and worry about stuff like your soldiers throwing a grenade or not.

Also, micromanagement just comes down to fast-clicking. There is no strategy - or even tactic - involved in the ability to click/push buttons fast.
Why do you think Asians are dominating in most RTS games? Because they are superior strategists? Nope..

I'm just talking about DoW2 multiplayer, though. Its campaign is supposed to be more on a tactical level, so the micromanagement should be more important there.

Fez

Erudite
Micromanagement is the bane of these games. The worst thing to creep into them, partly for the reasons thesheeep mentioned.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
thesheeep said:
But DoW is a strategy game.

They only reason they call them strategy games is that tactical games just doesn't have the same ring to it. There's little strategy in your average RTS and whatever it's there is often meta gaming, which makes things worst.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Lyric Suite said:
thesheeep said:
But DoW is a strategy game.

They only reason they call them strategy games is that tactical games just doesn't have the same ring to it. There's little strategy in your average RTS and whatever it's there is often meta gaming, which makes things worst.

Metagaming is in every game, its complicated, and nobody really knows what it is ;)
But I agree that most RTS games really only have very light strategic parts in them and there is till room for one real strategy game...
But there still is that difference between tactic games and RTS games.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I disagree, the AI in CoH maybe mistakes rather often making it harder to manage them. If I click to my infantry unit to attack a vechile I don't know if they will give up for no reason at all or chase it into the enemies base. Predictability is an important aspect of unit management.

Oarfish

Prophet
Micromanagement is the essence of real-time tactics games.

Close combat had very little micromanagement yet still managed to be a shedload more tactical than any basebuildin' and stuff mining twitchy RTS. Brutal punishment for mistakes + real line of sight based fog of war and semi realistic unit capabilities made it a far better experience than most. Coh was a step in the right direction, but they should have ditched the building all together.

I would kill my grandmother for a CC clone with Coh physics and procedural map / objective generation. It was far too easy to beat maps once you knew where the bad guys probably were, even with a dynamic campaign changing the oob.

Destroid

Arcane
I think it would be nice if instead of healthbars they applied penetration (like CoH tanks) to all units in DoW2, since most of them are wearing an awful lot of armor. CoH basically had this with the low hit% and high damage of weapons.

I am also in the less micro camp, ever since I played dark reign with its awesome ai scripts for units.

thesheeep said:
In tactic games, yeah, perhaps.

But DoW is a strategy game. And strategy means that your efforts should be on a much larger scale, not having to do every little bit yourself and worry about stuff like your soldiers throwing a grenade or not.
I agree, but I was under the impression the DoW 2 was an RTT (no base building, control of only a few squads) rather than an RTS like DoW 1. All the RTTs I'm familiar with would be horribly boring without micromanagement: the Sudden Strike series, the Myth series, those Monte Cristo WW II games... In constrast I hate micromanagement in RTS games, which is why I never play the Protoss in Starcraft - too many special abilities to babysit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Your impression was right, for the single player campaign.

In multiplayer, everything will be like it was in DoW (with some adjustments, I hope). And, afaik, there will be some special MP modes that are similar to the SP campaign (so no base building).

Really? Sounds like a "square peg round hole" situation. There's a danger they'll produce either a MP RTS with overly complicated unit control or a dumbed-down SP RTT. Still, at least it features Tyranids...

deshields538

Scholar
I really hope that this just isn't as worse as it sounds.

The worst case scenario is that Relic are trying to stop the modding of the campaign because they want to charge you for extra DLC like more campaigns. Campaigns which modders could perhaps design just as well and for free.

And regardless, not supporting the modding community and taking the attitude of "We don't want you messing up our precious campaign" is BS and just plain stupid.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What a shitload of drama about nothing. Relic has a rather great trackrecord with stuff like COH and Homeworld. I'm more than willing to give these people the benefit of the doubt, especially since almost everything I heard so far sounds awesome. Optional missions, upgrading squads throughout the campaign, different worlds to fight upon, little micromanagement, squad based combat. It all seems like it could be a winner.

deshields538

Scholar
I think that's the reason for the over reaction. People are getting pissed because this isn't something Relic would say and they have given epic support to CoH (Soulstorm on the other hand...).

Anyway, like I said, I really hope that this was just a poor choice of words on Relic's part or just a misinterpretation by us fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom